Eating

Orca_Amity

Something I wonder is why we eat so much food for one meal. I killed a bear and I got seven pieces of meat from it and I had to eat five pieces for one meal. In the picture it shows large pieces of meat the way we would have ready to carve for a family dinner. When we eat the meat in this game it's as small as a cheese burger. The we have to eat five pieces when two should be enough. Meat is filling. Just like when my character ate two tins of Spam meat, he was still half hungry when those tins of Spam meat should have filled him up. Anyway, when I hunted the bear I was pleased thinking I have enough food to last me about two days, maybe three and the greedy git at most of it for one meal. It's bad enough I hardly see any animals to hunt. When I do get something all gone before I know it. It would be nice if the supply drop would drop food as well instead of dropping the same items like medication all the time. Whoever packs those crates must know food is one of the most needed things.

Something I wonder is why we eat so much food for one meal. I killed a bear and I got seven pieces of meat from it and I had to eat five pieces for one meal. In the picture it shows large pieces of meat the way we would have ready to carve for a family dinner. When we eat the meat in this game it's as small as a cheese burger. The we have to eat five pieces when two should be enough. Meat is filling. Just like when my character ate two tins of Spam meat, he was still half hungry when those tins of Spam meat should have filled him up. Anyway, when I hunted the bear I was pleased thinking I have enough food to last me about two days, maybe three and the greedy git at most of it for one meal. It's bad enough I hardly see any animals to hunt. When I do get something all gone before I know it. It would be nice if the supply drop would drop food as well instead of dropping the same items like medication all the time. Whoever packs those crates must know food is one of the most needed things.

You have to think more abstractly. When it only took 1 or 2 pieces of meat to cook something you got a lot less off an animal. When bone knives cost only 1 bone you only got 1 or 2 bones from a pile. Know you can find a lot more of something when you harvest but it costs a little more.

Gameplay wise this is so the % increase in finding meat & bones from perks work. What's 20% more of 1 bone? You used to get 0 extra before. Now they have to fix the math so the perks work.

Also only 7 meat from a bear? What did you use your stone ax to break him up? Use a knife, I get 20+ meat from a bear at least.

or...

<recipe name="foodBoiledMeat" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable,perkMasterChef">

<ingredient name="foodRawMeat" count="1"/>

same with grilled and charred meat..

make it feel like you are getting more normal amounts of food out of these animals..

You should be getting more than 7 meat out of a bear. Make sure you are using the proper tool to harvest your meat. A bone shiv, knife, or machete will work. Anything else will waste a lot of resources.

Also, make sure you're not misunderstanding the hunger system. As long as your stamina bar doesn't have any black on it, you're full. You can eat past this point to give yourself more of a buffer, but you don't need to. Food is actually very plentiful in this build, but if you're still having trouble surviving you can take the animal tracking perk to find more game or the Iron Gut perk to reduce food and water consumption.

There's also the option of using the vending machines found at the trader or in many POIs. If you're doing some quests and selling valuable items, you should have more than enough Dukes to keep yourself fed. The machines restock frequently and canned food has no chance of poisoning you.

to be fair, the Icon is not an indicator of WEIGHT, just a stand in for an image to help you identify meat vs another item, each scrap of meat could literally be only .5-1oz (1 slice of sandwich size meat is around 1oz < I looked up what an ounce looks like)

so having recipes use 5 of that ingredient it would be 2.5oz to 5oz per meal (which is actually a little under what is recommended in the US for meals containing meat as a main dish {recommendation is 8-12oz})

and yeah, to parrot what everyone else said, you really need a knife of some sort to harvest meat, even a bone knife would have tripled what that bear would have given

Archived