Buried Treasure quest holes on MP EVERYWHERE!

RyanX

I play only multiplayer, and I have never been more frustrated with anything in this game on any alpha as I have been with the buried treasure quest holes. They are all over the map, all around my base, in front of me on every vehicle. It's worse than when you hit all the stones on bicycyles back in A17. I don't have a solution other than removing these quests. I like the quests, I do them, and I only dig a single hole and place a wood frame on top. But that's not what most people do. Most people just dig great big holes and leave them.

Please come up with another way TFP.

I can see how that would be a huge problem on MP servers. Even more so since the buried treasure can spawn underneath roads as well. We only have two people on my server and I find trying to dodge the holes a problem every now and then. With more players this problem would get much worse. Only solution I can think of is if they had specific areas where they could spawn and the area would reset like the POIs do.

I guess there are maybe 100-200 people who play on the server I'm on (max is 34 at a time I believe) and it's absolutely ridiculous. It's worse than a mine field. Constantly having to get off vehicles, unloading them to pick them up. It's unbelievable. I can't believe I haven't read a post about this yet. Maybe I just missed it? I can't be the only one.

Well, short term solution would be Gyrocopter....., but in the long run the problem will only get worst. I haven't played on a server with that many active players, but I have indeed also identified that it would become one. I always have frames with me, so on our server I patch up the holes I find, but that's not practical for you either.

I'm sure the guys can make the 7m default search area to also respawn. Same as is done with quest POIs.

I think the main problem with them is they respawn loot. I usually mark them on my map and will ocassionally check if they have respawned loot.

But I think it would be a better idea to make them spawn not so deep but surround them with zombies instead of magically summoning the zombies beforehand.

This is a moment of reflection. Just think, people complained about digging zombies. Well, we're no better than them. Remember that. Remember.

Speak for yourself. I usually fill up the holes again after I've dug up the supplies. Just for self-protection so I don't get stuck in a hole with my bike.

The buried quests probably wont go anywhere, they are the easy level 1 quests you can do with no weapons or levels. I think itll turn into more a you need the people on your server to be responsible for themselves. It's not hard to carry some of the terrain blocks with you (soil?) and just fill in the top of your hole.

If they make it a poi that makes another poi spot people can block with their bases, another problem for servers to contend with if someone's horde base gets reset because they didnt put down a LCB

Ryan sounds like your server needs to prune some people :p thats a huge amount of people to have bases and share resources lol

I think there could be an easy solution for the specific aspects, the thread starter mentioned.

As a big picture: You can only do so many L1 buried treasure quests per trader per player. I think, 5 is a suitable blanket for this count.

Thus, with, say, 5 traders in the vicinity, every player can do around 25 buried supplies quests.

Have 100 players on the server, you can get around 2500 holes in the ground. On, say, 64 km^2. So: about 40 per km^2.

What the funpimps could do to avoid stumbling into such holes right in front of your base, is let the locations be determined by a certain min distance to the known player made bases (player placed bedrolls, claim blocks or even any player made blocks). Say: 100 or 200 m minimal distance to such objects.

I'm pretty sure they already have that stuff in place, since you surely do not find buried treasure tasks pointing right into some player base. Thus, it should only be a question of correcting the already existing threshold.

And, of course, server admins could demand closing those holes - as they do with lot of other self made rules.

Just imho, I can't see a solution to this. Putting the treasure on the ground would just make it too simple, and you can't force players to fill the hole back, nor get the game to do it "automagically" either.

I mean we DID force people to fill it back in, even going as far as having a community chest with dirt for people to take with them. It was a rule for us. And its a good way to instill some nice player etiquette too. But we were white listed and private so it was easily enforceable. Some servers are wild west showdowns lol

Speak for yourself. I usually fill up the holes again after I've dug up the supplies. Just for self-protection so I don't get stuck in a hole with my bike.

I wasn't speaking for anyone really. Just a joke. I cover them too. You never know when you might fall in a hole running from a pack of dogs or something. In MP, I have no idea what to say about it. Know your neighbors before moving in, I guess. I don't play MP much, maybe coop with another person at most. If I was playing MP, I think I would purposely make the situation worse by placing a few spikes at the bottom.

I wonder if the treasure area could be reset at the moment you return to the trader and you hear that proximity trigger. That would Repair the terrain and remove the chest as well so that there aren’t treasure chests respawning loot.

That may work for buried supplies quests. It won't do anything for treasure chests tho, no return to trader for those and a much larger hole as the radius is larger. As for myself I fill the top with wood frames just so I don't run into it later.

I wonder if the treasure area could be reset at the moment you return to the trader and you hear that proximity trigger. That would Repair the terrain and remove the chest as well so that there aren’t treasure chests respawning loot.

I actually thought that this was the way it worked and I just hadn't played a game long enough.

Exactly what I had in mind . Just put in better words, as always :)

I think the main problem with them is they respawn loot. I usually mark them on my map and will ocassionally check if they have respawned loot.

<snip>

WHAT???? Dang. Wish I'd known that before.

edit: Wait a minute there. Don't the chests explode when you take the loot out? Or am I thinking of the airdrops?

I find mining to be a bigger problem. The treasure chest/buried supply holes are annoying but they are also only 2-3 blocks deep. Our mining holes are 15-20 blocks deep and much wider.

This is actually what I was going to blame. I don't think all of those holes are just from buried treasure quests as much as they are swiss cheese from people mining minerals. I found that I, in a solo game, was creating a ton of swiss cheese just from hitting the surface rocks along with the 4 spots around them and 3 down. Very similar to a buried treasure dig...

Even after filling them in/marking with wooden frames, the land around the base was certainly hazardous to traverse on a fast moving motorcycle. So, I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at buried treasure quests as much as look at the real change that happened in A18 with surface boulders.

That is a very good idea but I can only see 1 issue with that. What if a players base or player built structure is within the chunk that gets reset?

Archived