Junk Turrets are extremely out of place

Ac75

I get food poisoning from cooked food....

But I can have a laser targeted auto-turret that shoots out bits of iron?

Are you joking? I know its not accurate until you put cheesy points into it, but come on: Zombie survial its not. It's very, very video gamey and takes away from potential realism.

Almost as bad as the health bars over their heads they nearly implemented in A17 ~ thank god people freaked out about that.

... Besides, why do people keep so many turrents in their homes??

They need a serious nerf down.

Yeah. If you find one in a home, it should be the hard way. Turn a corner and there it is with some ammo left and ON! You have to get by it and wrench it up or destroy it.

They are very OP. Basically they turn one person in to three after you have 5/5 in the perk tree. Two changes that I would like to see made are:

1 - Requiring the Junk Turrets to need a battery to function. Seems a bit strange that they don't require any power but regular turrets do. Maybe change the Junk Turret so it can be opened up like a regular turret and has a slot for a battery. The quality of battery can effect how long it lasts.

2 - Change the ammo recipe to require gunpowder to make. Every other bullet requires gun powder so why shouldn't this one?

My favorite aspect of the Junk Turret is that they have a higher frequency to call Screamers. About the only thing we can find that actually calls them out of hiding these days.

They are very OP. Basically they turn one person in to three after you have 5/5 in the perk tree. Two changes that I would like to see made are:

1 - Requiring the Junk Turrets to need a battery to function. Seems a bit strange that they don't require any power but regular turrets do. Maybe change the Junk Turret so it can be opened up like a regular turret and has a slot for a battery. The quality of battery can effect how long it lasts.

2 - Change the ammo recipe to require gunpowder to make. Every other bullet requires gun powder so why shouldn't this one?

My favorite aspect of the Junk Turret is that they have a higher frequency to call Screamers. About the only thing we can find that actually calls them out of hiding these days.

Exactly, they should require a battery to make.

I guess they don't need gunpowder since there is a pneumatic tank on the visual model. So basically the turret uses air pressure to shoot out bits of scrap.

My own gripe with the turret is the abundancy / loot balance. For example, by day 28 I've found one bicycle chassis and two baseball bats, but have come across at least 20-30 turrets in loot.

If the devs see the turret as OP / problematic, I guess the battery requirement + maybe a cooldown every once in a while (to recharge the air tank) could suffice. Or drop the RoF some. Perhaps buff the range by a few blocks to not nerf-hammer it beyond useless.

My own gripe with the turret is the abundancy / loot balance. For example, by day 28 I've found one bicycle chassis and two baseball bats, but have come across at least 20-30 turrets in loot.

The baseball bat is a tier 3 weapon. The junk turret is a tier 2 weapon. Therefore it is much more common in loot.

You can find a lot of other tier 2 weapons also. For example the double barrel shotgun and the ak47 are also tier 2 weapons.

They're too cumbersome to use in my opinion, you can't change what direction they aim or anything except by picking up and placing again. I only use them for horde night defense and even then I just use one placed a few blocks behind me to shoot down vultures if they get too close and buy me a few seconds to flee if the zombies get to me.

I can see how the junk turret is out of place. That is some high tech stuff going on. It is especially out of place when comparing to food poisoning. Under that same premise, a lot of things are of out place including the regular turrets. I'm not going to bother listing all of them because the list would be too long and frankly not worth the time. I'm also not going to bother getting into the whole realism thing with this game. There are more examples of non-realism than realism and that is completely acceptable for this game. This game does not try to be a simulator... that is some other game. However, some realism still exists. Not all physics are thrown out the window. The only thing I really agree with to conform to the game reality presented by this game is that they should require a battery. Gunpowder is unnecessary. The battery powers a rotary air compressor and is reasonable for their restricted range. Once you introduce gunpowder, they start sniping and that is OP. The idea of a cooldown is ok, but it is unnecessary because if you build something that requires a cooldown it is obviously firing too fast. You would instead decrease the rate of fire and a better built one could handle higher rates of fire.

I don't agree that the junk turret is OP. It can be very effective if you as a player decide to mod them up, perk them up, and place them in places where they are the most effective. When clearing POIs, some have places where placing them is a good idea. Other POIs don't have many good places at all. A lot depends on your settings too. If you have higher difficulty with boosted zed speeds, those junk turrets aren't going to help you much in looting and it gets even harder to use them effectively as your gamestage goes up and the zeds become more feral, more green. They give the impression of being OP the first few weeks, but then they die hard in that regard. If you are using them late game to clear POIs and you are finding it OP, it probably means that you've mastered using it. You got good at it, accept your success and pat yourself on your back... you deserve it.

The only way I can see them being OP is when used for base defense when you are already cheesing the AI to loop in front of them so that you can just stand there and reload them. In that regard, ANY weapon you use to damage zombies is OP. The problem there is the AI, not the junk turret.

I have had games where I have found 2 of them in one crate on day 1. I have had games where a week goes by before finding a single level 1. So I don't really agree that they are too abundant. It seems on par with just about any other low level weapon. However, I would be down with the idea of them already existing and set up randomly in some POIs and you have to dismantle them before claiming as your own... because that's a new challenge and interesting game play.

(...) Zombie survial(...)

(...) potential realism. (...)

Pick one and only one. These 2 are mutually exclusive.

I also think they're too OP. It's also interesting how incredibly common they are in loot, I mean, can't you at least make it a little bit harder for players to get a hold of these? Besides, why do people keep so many turrents in their homes??

They need a serious nerf down.

My bet is, because int got just 2 weapons, so effectively, turrets and stun batons take place of 3 different drops each.

Turrets are abundant, but unless you spec deep into them, they aren't really of much use past very early game, when you might still be starving for ammo.

-Snip-

My bet is, because int got just 2 weapons, so effectively, turrets and stun batons take place of 3 different drops each.

Turrets are abundant, but unless you spec deep into them, they aren't really of much use past very early game, when you might still be starving for ammo.

This^ seems like a good reason, it does add to the lack of rarity (although maybe just adding a ton more turret "parts" should happen, where you would find 75% of turrets, replace with 2-5 parts each)

regular strength build choices are sledge and club and shotgun...each has 3 tiers....thats 9 different weapons (wood club,iron club and bat/ Stone sledge, iron sledge and steel sledge/ blunderbuss, double barrel and pump shotgun)

INT has....Stun bat and Turret.....thats only 2 options or 22.22....% as many choices...

I get food poisoning from cooked food....

But I can have a laser targeted auto-turret that shoots out bits of iron?

I agree it is seriously out of context. Maybe there could be a buff where you washed your hands prior to eating or drinking and that gave you 0% poisoning chance for non spoiled foods for 5min. I like a hygiene component to that versus a straight up % chance to get sick from boiled water or cooked and prepared foods.

Though the level it is at now makes it somewhat tolerable, what it truly does is drastically increase the value of canned foods. In that regard it creates a small economy.

Is there a mod to take over the Shamway factory and make canned food? That would be a fun POI on a multiplayer server.

I agree it is seriously out of context. Maybe there could be a buff where you washed your hands prior to eating or drinking and that gave you 0% poisoning chance for non spoiled foods for 5min. I like a hygiene component to that versus a straight up % chance to get sick from boiled water or cooked and prepared foods.

Though the level it is at now makes it somewhat tolerable, what it truly does is drastically increase the value of canned foods. In that regard it creates a small economy.

Is there a mod to take over the Shamway factory and make canned food? That would be a fun POI on a multiplayer server.

There is a perk that makes you completely immune to food poisoning, vitamins make you immune to it and honestly, what's the problem with eating 2 times once every 20 meals or less? People are exaggerating so much its not even fun. My wife gives me food poisoning much more often then I get it in 7d with 1 perk point into iron gut.

I see it less of an issue with being unclean as you are using possibly diseased ingredients to cook with. No amount of washing your hands or cooking will help if the meat has already spoiled. The game has ways of combating food poisoning fairly easily. Iron Gut or taking a vitamin before eating will negate this issue completely.

If they were INT-specific, they'd be in a better place. Maybe having the ability to place them locked behind the first turrets perk at wherever it is now, around INT 6? Would give INT players a tree-specific gadget, a little trademark of sorts.

Sure it's a pretty uniquely steampunky item in its implementation, but for a gadgeteer it would be pretty fine. Having just about everyone throwing them around makes them mundane and odd at that.

It's quite a shock that in the WHOLE YEAR of development, they think that those turrets are a great addition to the 7 Days ethos.

I think most of all of us agree they're entirely out of place.

- - - Updated - - -

I've played with them and whatever else they may be....they are fun.

Yeah, but it's like throwing a soccer ball on the court of an NBA2k game, bro.

No?

I see it less of an issue with being unclean as you are using possibly diseased ingredients to cook with. No amount of washing your hands or cooking will help if the meat has already spoiled. The game has ways of combating food poisoning fairly easily. Iron Gut or taking a vitamin before eating will negate this issue completely.

Did you miss the part where I said "non spoiled foods"

Originally Posted by warmer View Post

I agree it is seriously out of context. Maybe there could be a buff where you washed your hands prior to eating or drinking and that gave you 0% poisoning chance for non spoiled foods for 5min.

Sure if you let meat sit in a back pack for hours in the desert, you might not want to smell it let alone eat it, but if you had a freezer in the snow biome, it would last a long time.

It would make food much more interesting with a preservation method. Not saying drop everything and work on this, but a mod for food storage based on environmental temps would be cool.

Archived