MEGA - Make Exploration Great Again

RyanX

It seems that with the new alpha, exploration is no longer viable. I feel steered towards quests because of the building resets and the xp grind being so steep without the xp reward from the T5s. I always play with others on MP and we also keep getting quests in the same buildings resulting in them being overdone and developing bugs and competition between them. We used to like to go out and figure out the world but now it's just a "get quest x, go to the exclamation, return, repeat" The world seems so tiny now.

I'm kind of on the same boat. When you reach tier 5 quests, they get pretty repetitive due to the limited amount of POIs, and you get most of what you need from them materials wise. Of course mining is still needed.

The only time our co-op group "needs" to venture out to a different town is when we need springs or mechanical parts.

Fortunately, IIRC madmole said that there's people working on the quest system for an upcoming version so it won't be forever like that. :)

Even as a single player you often have the same T5 quests over and over again in the same POIs. Sometimes the quests of different traders overlap because there are so few T5 quest buildings.

A possible solution would be to reduce the number of T5 quests and offer more lower tier quests later in the game. Currently, you usually have 3 or 4 T5 quests and only one or two lower tier quests. One or two T5 quests and the rest lower tier quests would make this more diverse.

New T5 buildings will probably come but it will take time to create them. Currently there are only 7 T5 quest buildings in the game and 3 of them are very rare on random maps.

So you are choosing to play the game a certain way, that you hate it sounds like, and you want the devs to make changes so you won't choose to play that way? Why not just cut out the middle man and just play a different way instead?

The old "play a certain way" trope is old, overdone, and not applicable here. It makes me cringe like when people misuse the word "literally".

It's not about choosing to play a certain way, it's about being steered towards the way TFP wants me to play. I USED to be able to choose to go out exploring, but now experience is such a grind that unless I get the quest xp with my zombie kills my xp bar doesn't move.

Plus, loot is SUPER plentiful now in the form of always going into an unlooted quest house. I USED to have to go out and look for loot. Not anymore. Nor would it be fun because there is no xp in it so my character doesn't advance in any reasonable way.

The old "play a certain way" trope is old, overdone, and not applicable here. It makes me cringe like when people misuse the word "literally".

It's not about choosing to play a certain way, it's about being steered towards the way TFP wants me to play. I USED to be able to choose to go out exploring, but now experience is such a grind that unless I get the quest xp with my zombie kills my xp bar doesn't move.

Plus, loot is SUPER plentiful now in the form of always going into an unlooted quest house. I USED to have to go out and look for loot. Not anymore. Nor would it be fun because there is no xp in it so my character doesn't advance in any reasonable way.

But you literally are choosing to play the game by doing T5 quests over and over and then complaining about it. You have a choice how you want to play but you want to find the "best" way to play and are completely ignoring any other way. We don't do T5 quests on my server anymore, we do plenty of exploring, get plenty of xp, and don't feel like we are being steered towards doing quests at all. If constantly doing quests in buildings that keep respawning loot is causing you to not do all the other things you want to do then it is an easy solution. Stop doing the quests. I don't see what the issue is.

But you literally are choosing to play the game by doing T5 quests over and over and then complaining about it. You have a choice how you want to play but you want to find the "best" way to play and are completely ignoring any other way. We don't do T5 quests on my server anymore, we do plenty of exploring, get plenty of xp, and don't feel like we are being steered towards doing quests at all. If constantly doing quests in buildings that keep respawning loot is causing you to not do all the other things you want to do then it is an easy solution. Stop doing the quests. I don't see what the issue is.

No I am not choosing to do the T5 quests over and over again.

No I am not choosing to do the T5 quests over and over again.

The quests aren't being forced on you so if you are doing them it is by choice. What you could do is increase the amount of xp you gain. That way you are gaining more xp from killing, breaking things down, and looting. Lowering the level that xp clamps to something below 60 will decrease the amount of xp needed to get to higher levels. Currently it is clamped to level 60 so every level beyond that will require the same amount of xp. If you lowered it down some then you can get those higher levels much easier. Doing these changes will hopefully make it so you won't feel as steered towards doing the T5 quests in order to level quicker. I find going out and exploring houses and stuff leads to more loot than clearing out a T5 building anyway. I can clear out half a town or so by the time I can clear out a factory so I end up with more loot this way.

So your problem is that you think you need xp to have fun. Do what you want to do. No one forces you to play "level as fast as possible"

The hunt for XP is understandable because you want to get this perk and that perk and... But if you let xp steer your game you already have a problem. No matter what the game does, there will be efficient ways to get XP and you will follow them even if you don't have fun with this.

I can only tell you how I have fun with the game: I ignore XP, because I will get XP anyway, on horde night or while looting POIs. I surely won't get as much XP as someone looking for XP, but it free's me to pursue different (more fun) goals: For example getting books completed and better equipment. Building a new and better horde base. Driving around into other towns to find POIs I don't know yet (or luckily forgot already) or another trader. Do quests that sound like I didn't do them already. Build subbases in other towns.

In the next alpha it seems scavenging will get a nerf again so it will be slower. Less good guns in the beginning and it will take a longer time until you are really stuffed out in the best gear.

It seems that with the new alpha, exploration is no longer viable. I feel steered towards quests because of the building resets and the xp grind being so steep without the xp reward from the T5s. I always play with others on MP and we also keep getting quests in the same buildings resulting in them being overdone and developing bugs and competition between them. We used to like to go out and figure out the world but now it's just a "get quest x, go to the exclamation, return, repeat" The world seems so tiny now.

I'm with you on this one. Although it was mentioned there are more quests, and quest POIs coming/being worked on. So hopefully A19 will have more than 2 T5 POIs . In the meantime, I'm playing Darkness Falls, and although I still use the quests to get started, as it's simply the most effective way by miles, there is a lot to explore and do late game outside the current vanilla questline.

Quests rapidly induce extreme boredom, so i dont do em. Still plenty of exp to be had, people complain about gamestage being too high when they actively go searching for the largest xp gains.

The game has rapidly become a shootfest/race for xp and hasnt made it any better at all.

The hunt for XP is understandable because you want to get this perk and that perk and... But if you let xp steer your game you already have a problem. No matter what the game does, there will be efficient ways to get XP and you will follow them even if you don't have fun with this.

I can only tell you how I have fun with the game: I ignore XP, because I will get XP anyway, on horde night or while looting POIs. I surely won't get as much XP as someone looking for XP, but it free's me to pursue different (more fun) goals: For example getting books completed and better equipment. Building a new and better horde base. Driving around into other towns to find POIs I don't know yet (or luckily forgot already) or another trader. Do quests that sound like I didn't do them already. Build subbases in other towns.

In the next alpha it seems scavenging will get a nerf again so it will be slower. Less good guns in the beginning and it will take a longer time until you are really stuffed out in the best gear.

I do the same in regards to XP.

Yep i agree with the previous posts. It's a choosen "problem". If you don't like it, simply don't do it.

It's exactly the same stupid thing like complaining about the game is to easy after people built their foolproof ramp-trick-ultra-cheese-base. If you think it's to easy then, then don't build a super-cheese-base, but look for different ways.

We are about to encounter the same "problem" in our multiplayer group and already talk about simply not doing these quests repeatedly. Maye be only one T5 per week or so.

Additionally it looks like once you've "leveled up" a trader, you only get T5... I'd prefer only having a chance of getting a T5 and the trader should still offer T1-T4. If he has no T5 to offer, you have to do a lower tier quest to get new choices.

And since obviously people are unable to just not to do stuff they don't like by their own will, just because "they can", i think quests should be tied to the loot respawn value (or maybe a new different setting), so you will only get 1 quest per player per trader per month or so.

BTW: If the grind for XP in later gamestages annoyes you, you're free to increase the XP multiplier.

So you are choosing to play the game a certain way, that you hate it sounds like, and you want the devs to make changes so you won't choose to play that way? Why not just cut out the middle man and just play a different way instead?

Go play strategy like an action game.

Ways of the game - largely depend on it itself.

The quest system is horrible. It's literally just going to instances and running back. At least with Skyrim's horrible radiant quests there was the novelty of an intricate environment to traverse through, and they weren't a huge benefit.

The solution would be to just remove the quest system, and XP in general. Make it predominately gear based, and add competing AI factions. More sandbox, less instances.

Archived