What are some things you miss that could be integrated back in?

chriswheeler22

I think gun parts should come back. It was so satisfying collecting all the pieces and finally crafting whatever gun it was. Guns are far too common to early now adays.

I feel they could come back without to much intrusion. Perhaps they dont have levels and just whatever level you can craft determines the quality.

I think different meats should come back too. I should hunt boars for bacon and eggs.

Anything you miss?

RWG caves with bears in them. I'd settle for a non-trivial selection of large cave POIs which could be rotated on world gen (presumably to any of 8 orientations) and placed underground. Maybe an abandoned mining shack as an above-ground indicator, like the ore nodes we have now.

I would like them to bring back fun. I have had some near-fun moments with A18, but nothing like what I had in A16. And before I get the almost mandatory "learn to adapt", I can and have adapted to the changes since A17. It's just not as fun FOR ME.

Action skills for me (I know it shall not return...). I liked to be able to level up a skill by doing a task associated to it. The old skills system was a lot nicer IMO as it didn't unintentionally bottleneck you into playing into a class per se. I know you can spread points out, but you still have to buy into attributes you don't want with no real benefit to areas outside your class sometimes. The forget elixir seems like a bandaid fix to respec.

Farming and fertilizer with garden hoe I miss too. Collecting crops could level up a living off the land skill that gives better yield... and to have amount grown based off soil type was a plus.

Wellness system. I prefer that to the new death mechanic (though A18 is a massive improvement over the A17 one)

Hub cities. PLEASE RETURN!

but this thread is just another excuse to complain "OMG BRING BACK GUN PARTS PLZ" when there is already a gun parts thread on the first page of the forums...

Well, we can change that.

I'm a huge fan of Alpha 18, I think overall it's by far the best yet, but there's elements of previous Alpha's I still do miss. I doubt any of my three things can ever come back, but if I'm asked what I miss, it's these:

Alpha 10 - massive gas can factories - to power the augers and chainsaws I used so profligately. Since you could also have movement_speed as a block attribute back then, the augers were central to building the massive tunnel systems and overland bridges using a special "highway" block that massively speed the player movement up, connecting one biome to the next, especially my base to the hub city. I rarely use augers any more, and can mine enough shale to supply oil for an entire game in about a single day. Of course also, this massive gas can factory (dozens of campfires with beakers making biofuel and grain alcohol) meant I also needed a massive corn farm.

Alpha 10 - Hub Cities - not so much the city being central, but the city being dangerous. With the jacked up zombie spawn rate I put into the A10 city zones, these were places you stayed clear of until reasonably well equipped.

Alpha 11 - Caves - Loved 'em, still do. Wish ore generation was cave bound, and specific to each biome type, as I had it modded to for A11.

I'm not so sure about gun parts, but random caves with the occasional wight were....scary!

The big bad cities were also great. Game too easy?....try to build your base in one of those cities! :)

Water is a big one. I hope we someday get back the ability to make moats and cisterns...and that the water will have some significant impact on zombie behavior.

-Morloc

Alpha 10 - Hub Cities - not so much the city being central, but the city being dangerous. With the jacked up zombie spawn rate I put into the A10 city zones, these were places you stayed clear of until reasonably well equipped.

YES!

I used to love the hub cities....you gear up, walk in, loot as much as you can before the zombies hear and close in, then fight a huge horde as they gather together, and zombies seemed to just trickle in from all the streets as fast as you could kill them.

Early game it was a huge risk...sneak in, climb an apartment, get to the safe and loot it, and then try to get out alive.

Mid game you could enter strategically for certain resources in much the same way, only you could hold your own a bit better.

And end game, when you had all the ammo, you could just fight and have a blast, looting the cops (since there were no levels or skills, just different zombie types and the loot they carried).

YES!

I used to love the hub cities....you gear up, walk in, loot as much as you can before the zombies hear and close in, then fight a huge horde as they gather together, and zombies seemed to just trickle in from all the streets as fast as you could kill them.

Early game it was a huge risk...sneak in, climb an apartment, get to the safe and loot it, and then try to get out alive.

Mid game you could enter strategically for certain resources in much the same way, only you could hold your own a bit better.

And end game, when you had all the ammo, you could just fight and have a blast, looting the cops (since there were no levels or skills, just different zombie types and the loot they carried).

Ayup, pretty much how we used to do it, when MP'ing on an A10 server I ran for some friends and I. We also had a "highway" block that accelerated player movement (and zombie movement too... hehe), by a factor of 10, so we'd build long tunnels into the hub city and build an exit inside a main building with a little mini base just beneath it (crates for loot, a forge or two etc).

Then we had zombie spawn rates quintupled inside the city zone, and max alive zombies tripled. You could end up in a hell of a battle if you were slow or noisy.

It's interesting hearing you guys talk about systems I didn't get an opportunity to experience. It sounds like zombies used to be lootable not just the loot bags that rarely drop? And I've seen people mention hub cities a couple of times now, can someone explain that? How was it different than what we have now with the cities?

Well, we can change that.

I'm a huge fan of Alpha 18, I think overall it's by far the best yet, but there's elements of previous Alpha's I still do miss. I doubt any of my three things can ever come back, but if I'm asked what I miss, it's these:

Alpha 10 - massive gas can factories - to power the augers and chainsaws I used so profligately. Since you could also have movement_speed as a block attribute back then, the augers were central to building the massive tunnel systems and overland bridges using a special "highway" block that massively speed the player movement up, connecting one biome to the next, especially my base to the hub city. I rarely use augers any more, and can mine enough shale to supply oil for an entire game in about a single day. Of course also, this massive gas can factory (dozens of campfires with beakers making biofuel and grain alcohol) meant I also needed a massive corn farm.

Alpha 11 - Caves - Loved 'em, still do. Wish ore generation was cave bound, and specific to each biome type, as I had it modded to for A11.

I also miss the central/wasteland cities for the higher challenge and on occasion ... loot that was there. I hope they follow through with adding higher risk/reward zones such as rad zones, etc.

It's interesting hearing you guys talk about systems I didn't get an opportunity to experience. It sounds like zombies used to be lootable not just the loot bags that rarely drop? And I've seen people mention hub cities a couple of times now, can someone explain that? How was it different than what we have now with the cities?

You can actually experience it if you want.... go to the properties in steam and in the beta section you can select which alpha you want to play. Occasionally I'll go back and play some of the older alphas for nostalgia.

I think the console version still has it. Alpha 15?

Here is a video I found on youtube.

Edit: Altho it was bad for balance, but because the spawn in the hub city was constant...it was fun creating a mini horde base on the outskirts to see how long you could last. Was fun hunting cops for guns and ammo too...😂

RWG caves with bears in them. I'd settle for a non-trivial selection of large cave POIs which could be rotated on world gen (presumably to any of 8 orientations) and placed underground. Maybe an abandoned mining shack as an above-ground indicator, like the ore nodes we have now.

That is my ask as well. It would be great to have caves again. A dozen caves with several orientations would give you plenty of reason to explore. Currently we have two or 3 which is not nearly enough.

I'd love to see Gun Parts and Gun assembly return, as it was the closest to an endgame we ever had.

I's also like to see a limited and cleaned up implementation of Learning By Doing to return, for active skills where it makes sense (most combat skills, mining etc).

But most of all, I'd like to see some goddam zombies return to this supposed zombie apocalypse.

Should be easy enough to design such POIs since there is already a coal-mine POI that has caves and mine shafts under it.

...Edit: Altho it was bad for balance, but because the spawn in the hub city was constant...it was fun creating a mini horde base on the outskirts to see how long you could last. Was fun hunting cops for guns and ammo too...😂

..or bridge-killzones =)

11-4_bridge_killzone.jpg.b359ea0fe4dbe2ce2c95479d1c23e700.jpg

Action skills for me (I know it shall not return...). I liked to be able to level up a skill by doing a task associated to it. The old skills system was a lot nicer IMO as it didn't unintentionally bottleneck you into playing into a class per se. I know you can spread points out, but you still have to buy into attributes you don't want with no real benefit to areas outside your class sometimes. The forget elixir seems like a bandaid fix to respec.

Farming and fertilizer with garden hoe I miss too. Collecting crops could level up a living off the land skill that gives better yield... and to have amount grown based off soil type was a plus.

Wellness system. I prefer that to the new death mechanic (though A18 is a massive improvement over the A17 one)

Hub cities. PLEASE RETURN!

Exactly. Progression doesn't feel as fun as it did. More zombies, the plains biome, reduction of dungeon POIs to non-dungeon POIs, turds, iron ore, varying speeds on vehicles based on quality of components (hopefully mods brings this feel back), quality up to 600 and combining. Just to name a few ;)

Exactly. Progression doesn't feel as fun as it did. More zombies, the plains biome, reduction of dungeon POIs to non-dungeon POIs, turds, iron ore, varying speeds on vehicles based on quality of components (hopefully mods brings this feel back), quality up to 600 and combining. Just to name a few ;)

Yes to all!

Archived