7 Days of Ammo Crafting

Tordur77

So after day 21 (or even earlier) I usually have the ability to craft turrets (SMG and/or Shotgun).

In my current game I have 8 SMG turrets (day 30). That's 900 x 8 9mm just on my roof. In addition I have to feed my M-60 & AK for horde night. It takes sooooo long to: Craft gunpowder on the chemstations, smelt all my dukes into brass, smelt lead, forge bullet casings and tips, and then finally to workbench bullets.

Can we for the love of something holy get tools for the chemstation & workbench? Like the forge has?

And/Or speed things up with the Yeah Science! skill? Bulk crafting is just cheaper (IMO) not faster.

Tools for the chemstaion and workbench could be:

A Bunsen burner

A pressure cooker

Test tubes (like the beaker for the campfire/building ingredient for the chemstation)

Bench Vice

Power Tool(s)

Or how about we hook the workbench up to our powergrid (generators)?

Oh, and thanks for the best game in the world Pimps!

I'm a sneeze away from 4k hours! :smile-new:

Use more forges, workbenches and chemstation in parallel.

Yes, currently 2 chemstations, 3 forges and 3 workbenches.

Adding more to the next floor up (currently in construction), but I'm prioritising lead/brass over stone for cement.

So yeah, i'm now a bullet factory. I cue everything up, then go explore some. I think I have every city on the map (8x8 Km) now.

What difficulty setting are you using? I only use 1 smg and 1 shotgun turret but use them sparringly to conserve ammo (day 56, adventure diff., 16 max alive). I heavily use junk turrets tho.

I currently play on Nomad difficulty, 12 max alive, with walk at daytime, run at night, and Nightmare on hordenight. 60 minute days, and all else on vanilla settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 11x10 base on flat ground, cleared all trees and boulders around my base. I've tried the vulnerability point thing before, but it does not work in the long run for me. I've never liked "cheesing" the AI, if that's what you are refering to.

Edit: The last comment was meant for FSHerrante, don't know why the post come's up like this.

3 chemstn, 3 workben, 4 forges right now. That's being upgraded to 6/6/8 with 4 cement mixers.

can't bulk craft all the ammo yet, which limits each bench to 900 bullets for 7.62, 1800 for 9mm (which I'm not making yet)

6000 gunpowder per chem station = 2000 7.62 bullets.

300 game minutes to craft that gunpowder. umm..

Yes, a way to speed that up would be nice. (in the meantime, just going to make more chemstations)

Getting the coal/nitrate isn't that hard, lead is easy. Brass, well, dukes yes, but still have stuff to buy.

3 chemstn, 3 workben, 4 forges right now. That's being upgraded to 6/6/8 with 4 cement mixers.

can't bulk craft all the ammo yet, which limits each bench to 900 bullets for 7.62, 1800 for 9mm (which I'm not making yet)

6000 gunpowder per chem station = 2000 7.62 bullets.

300 game minutes to craft that gunpowder. umm..

Yes, a way to speed that up would be nice. (in the meantime, just going to make more chemstations)

Getting the coal/nitrate isn't that hard, lead is easy. Brass, well, dukes yes, but still have stuff to buy.

YES! Thank you! My point exactly! Farming the resources is no problem. With 5 in Str you can craft blue Augers (if you find the schematics, or you have 8 Int.) I found a green Auger, and was super happy with that for a long while. Then I found a grey one, but I had the schematics already by then. I usually vendor trash EVERYTHING I don't need. Like melee items (my current build is Stamina mostly, so AK's and M-60's for me!)

Now it's just 7 days of factory management, building more and more crafting stations to level out the looong wait to get stuff done in time for hordenight.

I currently play on Nomad difficulty, 12 max alive, with walk at daytime, run at night, and Nightmare on hordenight. 60 minute days, and all else on vanilla settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 11x10 base on flat ground, cleared all trees and boulders around my base. I've tried the vulnerability point thing before, but it does not work in the long run for me. I've never liked "cheesing" the AI, if that's what you are refering to.

Edit: The last comment was meant for FSHerrante, don't know why the post come's up like this.

Depends what you consider chesse..😂

Explosives also helps conserve bullets if your not already using them.

Explosives are neat, but I currently only have 1 in agility, so my bow skills are at 0. If you are crafting rocket launcher ammo, then you are a madman, they cost like a bazillion in fuel and gunpowder. But again, explosive arrows cost like 25 gunpowder and ductape? Ductape is the new gold bar in the apocalypse, used in nearly everything and cost 5 to 7 bones per glue bottle. I run out of ductape more often than not.

To sum up: My only grief is the amount of time it takes to mix gunpowder in the chemstation, considering the volume of bullets you need mid to late game.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now i am using a small pit where zombie falls with no traps. I only kill them with my shotgun or M60. Not that ammo hungry!

How do you funnel the zombies into the pit when they spawn randomly around you on hordenight?

The turrets don't seem to be pin-point accurate anymore, and they're also shooting at some blocks in the line of sight to their target.

As in, with good positioning (for example pointing inwards, so they'll fire as the zeds pass), you might be able to conserve a lot of ammo. If they actually get their targets dealt with.

Then again, whichever way they point, if you have 8 turrets positioned to fire constantly for 8 game hours, you're going to get limited by ammo. You don't really Need them, not that many at least, so IMO, it's a matter of playstyle choice.

If you weren't limited by ammo, would you be running 16, 32, 256 ..? If your answer is "all of them", then you're going to be limited by ammo, not matter how easy or hard it is.

The turrets don't seem to be pin-point accurate anymore, and they're also shooting at some blocks in the line of sight to their target.

As in, with good positioning (for example pointing inwards, so they'll fire as the zeds pass), you might be able to conserve a lot of ammo. If they actually get their targets dealt with.

Then again, whichever way they point, if you have 8 turrets positioned to fire constantly for 8 game hours, you're going to get limited by ammo. You don't really Need them, not that many at least, so IMO, it's a matter of playstyle choice.

If you weren't limited by ammo, would you be running 16, 32, 256 ..? If your answer is "all of them", then you're going to be limited by ammo, not matter how easy or hard it is.

I now only have 4 turrets, one SMG turret pointing NSEW along each wall, from the corner, covering all sides of my base. I removed the 4 others (to save ammo). If I had unlimited free ammo, then hells yeah I would have ALL OF THEM! but then I'd need 10 in INT for the XP. Currently at 6 (with Nerdy glasses)

Explosives are neat, but I currently only have 1 in agility, so my bow skills are at 0. If you are crafting rocket launcher ammo, then you are a madman, they cost like a bazillion in fuel and gunpowder. But again, explosive arrows cost like 25 gunpowder and ductape? Ductape is the new gold bar in the apocalypse, used in nearly everything and cost 5 to 7 bones per glue bottle. I run out of ductape more often than not.

To sum up: My only grief is the amount of time it takes to mix gunpowder in the chemstation, considering the volume of bullets you need mid to late game.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you funnel the zombies into the pit when they spawn randomly around you on hordenight?

There are many different strats to accomplish zed pitfalls.

Oh, you mean my 5 rows of barbed wire & spikes, eletric fences and blade traps (at gamestage 150+)?

Why not use turrets? they're there for a reason?

Turrets will set off Demolishers. You are asking for trouble in using them.

Anyways build multiple Chem Stations and multiple Workbenches. We have 4 of each, running 24/7. They already reduced the build costs of Chem Stations to a single Beaker, which is awesome.

150 game stage and crapload of turrets?

Why don't you post your base OP so we can see it well. Sitting in 200+ game stage in a forgotten save game with no turrets whatsoever. Turrets kinda suck in general, they require too many bullets to work. I'd personally love to see stacks of 1000's shotguns and 9mm ammo to make them useful compared to a series of blade traps .

Side note, couple shotgun turrets are amazing for spawning endless zombies as each shotgun hit adds 8% heat to the heatmap.

Why wouldn't you wall off all sides but one so they come from a single direction? You know, like EVERY HISTORICAL DEFENSE EVER.

Forcing your enemy to attack from a single front allows you to concentrate your defenses, and since you're defending, you have the positional advantage, so your power counts for more than their power.

I do not understand the players that refuse to use directional bases in this game, and then complain that their defense is too hard/expensive. It's too hard/expensive because it's a stupid way to defend.

Make them come from one direction only, then train 2 turrets on that direction, and use the electric fences and blade traps as well. You should have no trouble keeping up with that cost.

I just restarted for a18.3, but before that, I was in a duo server at about GS400ish (that's combined gamestage as figured for bloodmoon) and we were using a modified BoomBox, pit with electrical fences in the bottom. We had perches over the pit which made the zombies path up a pyramidal shape and leap toward us. Nothing floating or anything cheesy, but it was fun as heck tossing pipe bombs and grenades into that steel pit and watching zombie parts fly. They really weren't able to do much damage because of the electric fences in the earlier gamestages but they had gotten so bad before we wiped the server that the last hoard night saw some major repair work going on since the fences went down about an hour before sunrise. Demo zombies do major damage with just their fists. We had very, very few ever explode while in the trap, and those were from other zombies hitting them, but we never used turrets past GS 160. It's just too dangerous. They had managed to crush through two layers of steel wrapped concrete and dug a nice cave out, but it was repairable. I'm just not too sure how much higher we'd have been able to go with them unless I figured out how to repair the electric fences during the crazy. Honestly, I can't imagine being that close to the pit. I don't think they get too much harder past GS 400. It was all radiation zombies at that point save for the Demos.

Point I was making is that it's WAY cheaper and easier to make explosives than it is to make that much ammo. We had to wrench a ton of beds which meant tier 5 apartment building over and over for springs, but once you get that down pat, it's not too bad.

150 game stage and crapload of turrets?

Why don't you post your base OP so we can see it well. Sitting in 200+ game stage in a forgotten save game with no turrets whatsoever. Turrets kinda suck in general, they require too many bullets to work. I'd personally love to see stacks of 1000's shotguns and 9mm ammo to make them useful compared to a series of blade traps .

Side note, couple shotgun turrets are amazing for spawning endless zombies as each shotgun hit adds 8% heat to the heatmap.

Whut? In my previous game, I had 13 SMG and 7 Shotgun Turrets, 5 Chemstaions and 6 or 7 Forges, nearly running 24/7. I NEVER had more zombies come visit, exept the occational *DAKKADAKKADAKKA* dead screamer. The problem I find with the one entry point bases is that you tend to focus on the one spot during the BM, and then ONE bastard aggro's on your back wall and is left to his own devices for too long, creating an opening, and then yer toast!

The problem I find with the one entry point bases is that you tend to focus on the one spot during the BM, and then ONE bastard aggro's on your back wall and is left to his own devices for too long, creating an opening, and then yer toast!

The problem can be circumvented by digging a trench around the base.

The trench should be at least 2 blocks wide and 3 blocks deep with an exit where the entrance to your base is. The zombies fall into the trench and then run to the exit.

So after day 21 (or even earlier) I usually have the ability to craft turrets (SMG and/or Shotgun).

In my current game I have 8 SMG turrets (day 30). That's 900 x 8 9mm just on my roof. In addition I have to feed my M-60 & AK for horde night. It takes sooooo long to: Craft gunpowder on the chemstations, smelt all my dukes into brass, smelt lead, forge bullet casings and tips, and then finally to workbench bullets.

Can we for the love of something holy get tools for the chemstation & workbench? Like the forge has?

And/Or speed things up with the Yeah Science! skill? Bulk crafting is just cheaper (IMO) not faster.

Tools for the chemstaion and workbench could be:

A Bunsen burner

A pressure cooker

Test tubes (like the beaker for the campfire/building ingredient for the chemstation)

Bench Vice

Power Tool(s)

Or how about we hook the workbench up to our powergrid (generators)?

Oh, and thanks for the best game in the world Pimps!

I'm a sneeze away from 4k hours! :smile-new:

Or..... you could build more workbenches, forges and chem stations?

I have 3 forges, 3 cement mixers and a pair of workbenches and chem stations and I have no problems with crafting 3000+ ammo in couple of hours.

Also, SMG turrets are crap, shotgun turrets are much better for the ammo cost.

I do not understand the players that refuse to use directional bases in this game, and then complain that their defense is too hard/expensive. It's too hard/expensive because it's a stupid way to defend.

Make them come from one direction only, then train 2 turrets on that direction, and use the electric fences and blade traps as well. You should have no trouble keeping up with that cost.

And have you tried this when your horde includes a large number of Demolishers?

Archived