Dev Diary Pruning....

Roland

Have you seen a bear indoors? Its horribly glitchy at best and should be removed from POIs IMO.

One of my dogs passed away a few days ago, don't tell me I don't love dogs :( Hell I'm the one who had the wolves made with backpacks, but programming says its a lot of engineering to get them pathing properly indoors and up stairs etc so no four legged friends unless we push bandits back another 6 -12 months which is not acceptable. Its not a big deal when its a dog zombie trying to get to you and he can't but when its your pet dog loaded with gear stuck or looks like crap 98% of the time, its something we aren't going to add.

I mean who wants a dog when you might get an actual NPC that talks, comments on the apocalypse, etc? A bot can pave the way for those mods at least or make the feature less risky.

im sorry about your dog :( i did not know. :sorrow: now i feel like ♥♥♥♥.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont forget boarbears too!!! ������

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

there real you know!

Understanding-The-Coywolf.jpg.851545971d66b43cacf6991d92f2f006.jpg

Models/textures and code for bandits are two very different things done by different people. If A19 keeps to a reasonable schedule, then Bandit AI will not be in A19.

Adding power armor and trying to be Fallout Lite isnt getting you any closer to gold, just saying

HORRIBLE idea if true btw. I really dont know what this game wants to be anymore, and its clear some others dont either.

BTW not a knock on you, your work is exceptional but jesus man. Talk some sense into some people.

Adding power armor and trying to be Fallout Lite isnt getting you any closer to gold, just saying

HORRIBLE idea if true btw. I really dont know what this game wants to be anymore, and its clear some others dont either.

BTW not a knock on you, your work is exceptional but jesus man. Talk some sense into some people.

I dont see anything wrong with hitech stuff for the INT tree if it can be designed within the constraints that are already in place. If anything it will give modders more mechanics to work with which is a win win for everyone...

I would choose friendly NPC AI over food spoilage any day...😎👍

I dont see anything wrong with hitech stuff for the INT tree if it can be designed within the constraints that are already in place. If anything it will give modders more mechanics to work with which is a win win for everyone...

I would choose friendly NPC AI over food spoilage any day...

Agree to disagree. No one can convince me this is a good move. Personal preference i guess. If I wanted to play Fallout, I would play Fallout. This is definitely not the theme or direction I bought into or followed for years.

Quite frankly its shocking. I know the guys are huge Fallout fans but theres no need to clone all their mechanics. 7 Days is a perfect game on its own merits. We may as well brand it a sci fi game going forward. If you guys are excited by that I am happy for you.

Agree to disagree. No one can convince me this is a good move. Personal preference i guess. If I wanted to play Fallout, I would play Fallout. This is definitely not the theme or direction I bought into or followed for years.

Quite frankly its shocking. I know the guys are huge Fallout fans but theres no need to clone all their mechanics. 7 Days is a perfect game on its own merits. We may as well brand it a sci fi game going forward. If you guys are excited by that I am happy for you.

Honestly, I don't see the problem. A huge part of the game won't have the futuristic content except very late game, and aren't late game items supposed to feel special. If they add a very late game junk bot, it won't mean that suddenly the next time you open the game you will be greeted with the "War... War never changes" line.

Just feels like you're overreacting. Doesn't junk turret look 7DTD-ish to you?

Dude it's a Kickstarter goal man. They have to have them in the game. If not they could face a backlash from the backers whom backed it for this reason.

You knew they were gonna be in the game but yeh I am with lazman npcs over spoilage any day. Sorry bro. And well I am sure you will mod them out of your game and that's fine. But allow the many and more supporters to have em. Plus it gives us modders more code to play with to.

I have to agree with this. There's a huge difference between taking inspiration from the same source material and copying another's work. Sixties batman and dark knight batman are very different characters from the same source material.

This will also lead to quite a few anachronisms. Futurism, even for the short term, is very hard to do well. Fallout is the fantasy future as envisioned by the fifties, 7dtd is the future of now.

Examining the world as it appeared to be before the collapse we will now find bipedal bots or androids walking the streets alongside internal combustion cars, all of which are manually operated and about twenty years out of date. Are we certain technology will reach a level where people with feel safe around their mechanical manservant or would even have one in the same house as a small child? Let's face it, even pathing along well defined routes with a reasonably strictly enforced set of rules seems to be a bit much for tesla just yet. You think we'll have machines capable of safely self-navigating through a crowd of people within a decade?

I know DARPA is doing some wonderful stuff with the like of SPOT and ATLAS but don't expect that technology to be available to the public any time soon.

I have to agree with this. There's a huge difference between taking inspiration from the same source material and copying another's work. Sixties batman and dark knight batman are very different characters from the same source material.

This will also lead to quite a few anachronisms. Futurism, even for the short term, is very hard to do well. Fallout is the fantasy future as envisioned by the fifties, 7dtd is the future of now.

Examining the world as it appeared to be before the collapse we will now find bipedal bots or androids walking the streets alongside internal combustion cars, all of which are manually operated and about twenty years out of date. Are we certain technology will reach a level where people with feel safe around their mechanical manservant or would even have one in the same house as a small child? Let's face it, even pathing along well defined routes with a reasonably strictly enforced set of rules seems to be a bit much for tesla just yet. You think we'll have machines capable of safely self-navigating through a crowd of people within a decade?

I know DARPA is doing some wonderful stuff with the like of SPOT and ATLAS but don't expect that technology to be available to the public any time soon.

It doesn't seem to me that junk bots came about because TFP wants to copy Fallout. This seems more a case of creating a sensible weapon tier above the junk turret AND a workable follower/NPC companion. A solution that has a high chance of working in a voxel world with their limited development resources.

So they contemplate hovering because it is hands down the least problematic way but with the handicap of looking technologically far out of place. And they contemplate wheels/tracks even though the bot may get stuck because that tech is absolutely unproblematic to explain:

All the difficult tech is already in the game with any of the turrets (their friend/foe/zombie detection needs current day AI pattern recognition tech). Putting some wheels/tracks below a stationary junk turret and using similar AI to the one already in that thing to plot a path is not new. Safety? Those junk bots won't be safe and won't need to path through a crowd of people. They will cut a path through a crowd of people.

Bipedal bots might be a compromise where some future tech is used for the ability to use stairs. I don't think it's a good compromise. Either forget realism and hover or use tracks. Maybe even tracks that can ascend stairs if that is deemed too important.

Hopefully it will be reigned in enough so it's not too over the top but I will keep an open mind until I get my grubby hands on it 1st..😂😂😂

Fallout does not have the cornerstone on robots and power armor. You guys might be more active on the forums, but y'all don't speak for the entire player base. This is supposed to be set beyond 2030? DARPA has been working on powered exoskeletons and military bots since before 2012. I say hell yes to the power armor and robots.

Y'all have hijacked the dev diary and ran it way off the rails to the point where I have to visit dev profiles to track their posts. Y'all need to chill.

Fallout does not have the cornerstone on robots and power armor. You guys might be more active on the forums, but y'all don't speak for the entire player base. This is supposed to be set beyond 2030? DARPA has been working on powered exoskeletons and military bots since before 2012. I say hell yes to the power armor and robots.

Y'all have hijacked the dev diary and ran it way off the rails to the point where I have to visit dev profiles to track their posts. Y'all need to chill.

One guy scavenging bits and pieces of scrap metal out in the wasteland is a very long way from a fully funded and stocked DARPA lab with all the computing, 3D printing and fabrication technology such a lab would contain. Given the character's resources the junk turret is bordering on far fetched.

I very much do not speak for you. I speak to constraining the unrealistic silliness to the zombies. We have "wild west" buildings, hospitals and clinics that look like they're from the 80's, flat screen TV's and computers - the range of disparate eras is already wide enough. Let's not encourage them to throw in things that wouldn't be widely available for another decade or two best case and not feasible to cobble together out of scrap ever. The very first industrial-use exoskeletons are now in use in Japan, IIRC, and they aren't practical for use outside the specialized environment they're in.

One guy scavenging bits and pieces of scrap metal out in the wasteland is a very long way from a fully funded and stocked DARPA lab with all the computing, 3D printing and fabrication technology

Ehh it’s a game. One guy scavenging bits of scrap metal in a wasteland is far off from building gyrocopters, jeeps, mega skyscrapers, mega bases, solar panels with battery storage, powered draw bridges, fully functions auto turrets with tracking. But I have fun with all of the above.

<snipped for space>

Look at the options available...

Hover-bots, too sci fi for the rest of the background.

Biped, you may as well have friendly NPC's and save yourself the extra work.

Quadraped, any work done to improve AI/Pathing will directly benefit wolves, deer and bears.

Update:

As for power armour... I'll just leave this here...

Ehh it’s a game. One guy scavenging bits of scrap metal in a wasteland is far off from building gyrocopters, jeeps, mega skyscrapers, mega bases, solar panels with battery storage, powered draw bridges, fully functions auto turrets with tracking. But I have fun with all of the above.

I'd have difficulty fabricating solar panels without the correct facilities and the ability for a turret to identify friend from foe is beyond even DARPA just yet but yes, I could build that equipment, the rest of the technical gubbins requires nothing more advanced in the way of electronics than a raspberry pi.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of an engineer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168061/French-electrician-stranded-Moroccan-desert-rebuilt-wrecked-car-motorbike-drove-civilisation.html

I'd have difficulty fabricating solar panels without the correct facilities and the ability for a turret to identify friend from foe is beyond even DARPA just yet but yes, I could build that equipment, the rest of the technical gubbins requires nothing more advanced in the way of electronics than a raspberry pi.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of an engineer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168061/French-electrician-stranded-Moroccan-desert-rebuilt-wrecked-car-motorbike-drove-civilisation.html

Seems odd where people are drawing their lines to me.

A fully functional auto turret built by one guy, with friend/ foe tracking is totally okay.

However, a fully functional auto turret built by one guy, with friend / foe tracking that has wheels and can follow you is totally sci-fi?

A fully functional auto turret built by one guy, with friend/ foe tracking is totally okay.

However, a fully functional auto turret built by one guy, with friend / foe tracking that has wheels and can follow you is totally sci-fi?

Keep in mind, those same people may prefer junk turrets be removed...😂

Edit: It is worth mentioning the junk turret poll overwhelmingly showed that most preferred to keep them in. Which may/may not mean anything as the forums is just a small % of the player base.

I've always had a problem with the turrets being able to identify individuals and if you use a wheel or tracked mount the pathing difficulties will be compounded, a tank can't jump.

One guy scavenging bits and pieces of scrap metal out in the wasteland is a very long way from a fully funded and stocked DARPA lab with all the computing, 3D printing and fabrication technology such a lab would contain. Given the character's resources the junk turret is bordering on far fetched.

I very much do not speak for you. I speak to constraining the unrealistic silliness to the zombies. We have "wild west" buildings, hospitals and clinics that look like they're from the 80's, flat screen TV's and computers - the range of disparate eras is already wide enough. Let's not encourage them to throw in things that wouldn't be widely available for another decade or two best case and not feasible to cobble together out of scrap ever. The very first industrial-use exoskeletons are now in use in Japan, IIRC, and they aren't practical for use outside the specialized environment they're in.

You may speak for yourself and your ability to not be able to build this robot but I know a guy who can do it easily . So why cant he have a robot that is advanced. Why can't he be able to make something he has been making for ages...

All ya guys are doing is hindering us modders getting our hands on awesome code we can do things with also. I am fully supportive of this 'junk bot'

Archived