[Opinion] I hate the forced Bloodmoon event and wish players could trigger it

Domo

Hello all.

First of all, my english isnt the best but I hope its good enough so you can understand me.

Secondly, I know that the Bloodmoon event is one of the main features of this game and I doubt it will get changed, so thats why this post isnt a wish or suggestion. Its just my 2 cents to this feature.

Anyway, I am a casual 7DtD player and play only like 2-8weeks per year to check the latest updates etc. and I do it always on multiplayer servers to have a bit of small talk while playing and also to have the option to ask quick noobish questions in chat.

And its all fun and nice but whenever the Bloodmoon event is coming I have to log out because I am only lvl 2 or 8 and the server is having his 700day+ already.

Usally I watch then the livemap of the server and wait till the Bloodmoon event is over.

I would hide in my base and do some crafting, but we all know that there is no escape of the Bloodmoon event.

And I am asking myself, is the Bloodmoon event really necessary?

Cant it be changed to some special quest where players have to collect 10 diffrent types of meat + 1 Boombox, combine it together, place it somewhere, activte this new item during night and wait for a huge Horde coming to them?

On this way casual noobish players like me could evade the Horde nights without loggin out and hardcore players could trigger a big Horde event whenever they feel ready to it.

I am really sorry about my english but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

And please dont take this post as a "crying & bitching" post. I made this post only to share my experiance and hear maybe what other players think about it.

Thanks for reading.

Bloodmoon can be turned off. Just have to find servers that do that.

Cheers

-edit- and besides, bloodmoon zombies are scaled with your gamestage. If you are only level 2 you get only few of the weakest zombies. Number of server days doesnt mean anything.

Exactly.

Clean out the sleepers from a medium sized brick building. Remove the lower stairs and other accessways (like scaffolding or rubble piles) everywhere. Make sure you yourself can't get in by jumping anywhere inside or outside the building, then most zombies shouldn't be able either. Add a ladder with the two lowest rungs removed so that you can get to the upper floor again.

From time to time a lonely zombies might still succeed (because he stands on other zombies shoulders). If you want to avoid that too you can do the same thing between first and second floor (or roof) to make sure really nobody can reach you. Add generous amounts of wood spike traps and/or shoot zombies from above.

And if you make a mistake and fall off or forget to remove a way up and you still get killed then at least you are save from zombies simply by hiding. This is new in A18, if you die on horde night the zombies loose your scent for the rest of the night as long as you keep quiet and don't start shooting again.

And its all fun and nice but whenever the Bloodmoon event is coming I have to log out because I am only lvl 2 or 8 and the server is having his 700day+ already.

It's not a problem. Every player gets their own personal horde spawn during bloodmoon and the strength of it is based on a number called gamestage which is calculated as:

GS = (your level + days alive) x difficulty setting

So if you are level 2, this number will be very small, something like 6 or 8. This means you would get a very small and weak horde coming at you on bloodmoon, so you will be fine. You can see your GS figure if you enter the tab menu and select the multiplayer icon on the top right.

"You are using it wrong!". Your problem is not the bloodmoon.

On the one hand it is not as like Ghostlight already wrote and on the other hand your real problem is that playing such a game on public servers never really works good when you only play for short amounts of time. And even the third thing like already mentioned: Bloodmoons can be deactivated!

There are also servers that do wipes, especially if there is a new version of the game released. Maybe you should play on servers that did a wipe recently instead of starting on servers that are already on day 700. It's YOUR problem, not a problem of the game.

And if you play MULTIplayer, why not just join somebody who already built a base and help him defending against the bloodmoon? You can do that even with level 1. Want to play solo but insist on playing on multiplayer servers and then complaining about it doesn't work out well is... doh!

Don't request to make the screw driver into a hammer, just because your usecase is nails instead of screws and with that ♥♥♥♥ off all screw driver owners.

Interesting perspective. I only ever played multiplayer on small dedicated servers for me a handful of friends so I have no first hand experience.

The blood moon mechanic never really interested me much / at all. I came to this game for a more action oriented 1st person "Project Zomboid" experience. Survival, crafting, building, "This is how you died" game with "Dead is dead" as my default gameplay method.

The Horde night always had so many ways to avoid it and even more ways to trivialize it into a turkey shoot XP farm akin to screamer farming. As such I do believe there are good discussion to be had on how to improve it. If not here than in other games of the genre.

I think Conan Exiles had a neat take on it. Horde Night / Purge was spawned based upon a building area/land claim and used a combination of character level / server settings / player activity to slowly charge up a bar which resulted in the PVE event spawning at one of your camps. Thus the spawned invasion would not target players but instead their buildings/loot. (Unless you showed up to defend that is.) Conan however was able to support NPC guards and all manner of things to try and help defend said locations, but opting NOT to defend personally was a definitely a risk depending on the server settings.

Sadly all that overhead is probably well above what will be available for 7D2D but I do agree there's room for improvement in the Horde mechanic.

Exactly.

Clean out the sleepers from a medium sized brick building. Remove the lower stairs and other accessways (like scaffolding or rubble piles) everywhere. Make sure you yourself can't get in by jumping anywhere inside or outside the building, then most zombies shouldn't be able either. Add a ladder with the two lowest rungs removed so that you can get to the upper floor again.

From time to time a lonely zombies might still succeed (because he stands on other zombies shoulders). If you want to avoid that too you can do the same thing between first and second floor (or roof) to make sure really nobody can reach you. Add generous amounts of wood spike traps and/or shoot zombies from above.

And if you make a mistake and fall off or forget to remove a way up and you still get killed then at least you are save from zombies simply by hiding. This is new in A18, if you die on horde night the zombies loose your scent for the rest of the night as long as you keep quiet and don't start shooting again.

The best part about this is that you won't even run out of buildings because the trashed ones will be rebuilt when you go to do a quest in them.

I love the blood moon horde

AND

I wish there was a function to trigger it :)

bloodmoonhordestart <hours> <playerid|ALL>

or some such would be great, where hours is how long it will be running for, and ability to send to one player or to everyone.

Why not? :)

I love the blood moon horde

AND

I wish there was a function to trigger it :)

bloodmoonhordestart <hours> <playerid|ALL>

or some such would be great, where hours is how long it will be running for, and ability to send to one player or to everyone.

Why not? :)

Spawning a blood moon horde on yourself for test purposes would be nice but I wouldn't want to spawn it on others because there are most certainly server admins out there that would abuse this feature.

The thing I enjoy most in this game is building the horde base. The horde itself is only to test if everything works as expected.

You can set bloodmoon day via command line if you want. It will even work as a same-day setting, i.e. at 9AM on day 12 you can use the command:

setgamestat BloodMoonDay 12

and the blood moon will happen that evening. I had to do this recently when my server got confused because I reset the day from 15 back to 14. It still had the next BM at day 21 and we wanted to do the day 14 one over again. Worked a treat, though the sky did not turn red and the storm sounds did not occur. At 10PM we were like, "huh, I guess the command didn't work" and then a couple dozen zombies showed up to get the party started...

Of course this is not possible for OP who is playing on other people's servers.

thank you all for your input to this topic.

Ive learned a few things out of it, but my opinion to this topic didnt change much. I still dislike the fact that the Bloodmoon event is forced on players and would like a system where players can trigger it much more. But again, this is just my opinion and not a "must have wish".

Happy hunting everyone :)

thank you all for your input to this topic.

Ive learned a few things out of it, but my opinion to this topic didnt change much. I still dislike the fact that the Bloodmoon event is forced on players and would like a system where players can trigger it much more. But again, this is just my opinion and not a "must have wish".

Happy hunting everyone :)

Just give it time.

This is in the files so....

//onGameBloodmoonStart, //Hook Up

//onGameBloodmoonEnd, //Hook Up

Having a way to trigger a bloodmoon event will probably be a thing eventually.

Hello all.

First of all, my english isnt the best but I hope its good enough so you can understand me.

Secondly, I know that the Bloodmoon event is one of the main features of this game and I doubt it will get changed, so thats why this post isnt a wish or suggestion. Its just my 2 cents to this feature.

Anyway, I am a casual 7DtD player and play only like 2-8weeks per year to check the latest updates etc. and I do it always on multiplayer servers to have a bit of small talk while playing and also to have the option to ask quick noobish questions in chat.

Usally I watch then the livemap of the server and wait till the Bloodmoon event is over.

I would hide in my base and do some crafting, but we all know that there is no escape of the Bloodmoon event.

And I am asking myself, is the Bloodmoon event really necessary?

Cant it be changed to some special quest where players have to collect 10 diffrent types of meat + 1 Boombox, combine it together, place it somewhere, activte this new item during night and wait for a huge Horde coming to them?

On this way casual noobish players like me could evade the Horde nights without loggin out and hardcore players could trigger a big Horde event whenever they feel ready to it.

I am really sorry about my english but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

And please dont take this post as a "crying & bitching" post. I made this post only to share my experiance and hear maybe what other players think about it.

Thanks for reading.

Well.. like you stated yourself: bloodmoons are something core to this game. Hell, the game is named after them!

But I understand your point. But in all honesty, there would be no "7 days to die" without bloodmoons. That's also an essential part of the game's survival experience. Not to mention building experience.

As for your multiplayer experience you have 3 options:

- find a server with no bloodmoon

- find a pve server and stay safe inside a friend's base

- find a server with a safe zone in it.

For the last one, I used to play on a pvp server that had something we called "The Pit", it was basically a safe zone (no killing players), indestructible blocks, that was built by the admins in the server, so people could gather there for blood moons, make parties and slay zombies safely. Or just really stand there not doing anything, just watching other people deal with them.

And like people already stated, once you die in a horde night, you're hordenight-free for the rest of the evening.

I dont know if this was removed over alphas 17-18, but back then, it was possible to avoid the bloodmoon by going to the highest point. Like nerd poling to 200 wood frames would prevent zombies from knowing where you were in blood moon nights.

Another possible way to deal with blood moons, is finding places where zombies can't reach you. Take this video as an example:

I'm sorry that you dont like the blood moon events. But its too core of an element to this game to be removed. You might as well get adapted to it if you dont wanna stop playing it.

• 1 month later...
You can set bloodmoon day via command line if you want. It will even work as a same-day setting, i.e. at 9AM on day 12 you can use the command:

setgamestat BloodMoonDay 12

and the blood moon will happen that evening. I had to do this recently when my server got confused because I reset the day from 15 back to 14. It still had the next BM at day 21 and we wanted to do the day 14 one over again. Worked a treat, though the sky did not turn red and the storm sounds did not occur. At 10PM we were like, "huh, I guess the command didn't work" and then a couple dozen zombies showed up to get the party started...

Of course this is not possible for OP who is playing on other people's servers.

Thanks this should help! I seem to have the opposite problem: a bunch of us play on the same server and we all want to do a blood moon together like once each weekend, which means if for example only one person is on during weekdays then the clock is running and then when blood moon happens (even if we're all on at that time) there hasn't been enough prep time to make ammo and so on.

Archived