Zombie spawning radius (Horde night, Scouts/Screamers, Wandering Hordes etc)

haaammit

Just a quick question I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

What are the spawn radiuses for the above? A post I found from 2018 suggests it may be:

WanderingHordeSpawnDistance = 70;

HordeDaySpawnRangeMin = 30;

HordeDaySpawnRangeMax = 40;

HordeNightSpawnRangeMin = 55;

HordeNightSpawnRangeMax = 70;

from this post here

Does anyone know if this is correct for 1.18.x and what is the radius for the Scout/Screamer?

Many thanks - Ham

Funny you should ask, as that was a video I recorded this week and just posted.

It does look like especially the blood moon horde has been brought closer, I had some spawn as close as 32, and as far as 48. Definitely less than a17!

Did cover POI spawns/wandering horde/screamer/screamer horde/blood moon horde spawns.

Funny you should ask, as that was a video I recorded this week and just posted.

It does look like especially the blood moon horde has been brought closer, I had some spawn as close as 32, and as far as 48. Definitely less than a17!

Did cover POI spawns/wandering horde/screamer/screamer horde/blood moon horde spawns.

Thanks for making this very informative video - always enjoy watching your videos.

I just happened to discuss the horde night spawning distances with Roland in another thread about possible spawns durig horde night in a POI base: So judging by your results, I'd say that you should probably build your horde base 60+ blocks away - unless you replaced all floor blocks that is :smile-new:

Thanks Oliwhere and damiendada for the kind words :)

I was quite surprised at the blood moon horde. I knew they were closer, but did not realize it was as close as it ended up.

For TFP: I understand a great reason is to make sure zombies spawn close and thus they can quickly engage with the player. However the 30-50 blocks is too close overall. Even with a normally sized base, if you run out of it to loot etc, do some melee, you risk zombie spawns inside your base. I definitely have that happen, and zombies fighting to get out of the base isn't as fun ;)

My suggestion would be to push spawns to 50-60 minimum and if there are no players nearby, give them a speed boost for a few seconds so they run 2x/3x fast and cover those 30 extra blocks quickly, but still have to traverse it so they respect walls, defenses etc (albeit with a speed boost).

While it might look "slightly odd" to have such fast zombies, it wouldn't be odder than the weird pop-in you have within close vision range now. An the end goal would still be satisfied, with them engaging the players fast, but with the added bonus of them actually respecting the environment too... so enterprising players could have better defenses in a wider area, without zombies avoiding them through spawning in close.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived