WARNING! YOU NEED WATER! (Within the next 24hours)

Pichii

Title says it all.

Thirst warning indicator is EXTREMELY spammy.

To the point where newbies wonder why they are thirsty all the time and just eventually learn to ignore it.

Just like the advanced players.

Then, since its so spammy and up ALL THE TIME; you fail to notice the indicator went from orange to red and die.

Look, have the warning come on at thirst 55 and deydration come on at 30.

I dont want to be spammed with "YOU ARE THIRSTY" for anything 100->0. Thats a huge oversight, uselessly clutters the HUD and gives bad information to players.

You can eat and drink to 50 past your nominal cap. The game shows you this when you start, it tells you this multiple times in the journal entries behind the throbbing yellow ~read me~ marker on the hud, and it shows you exactly what's going on every time you eat or drink. So drink three red teas every time you get thirsty, if you're working hard you'll have to do that three, maybe four? times a day.

When anything beyond your cap was wasted (or equivalently when the bar went all the way to the past-this-gets-wasted extreme limit), people complained about the waste, they'd always want to overeat and overdrink and complain they couldn't stay full. So now you can choose how long past "I'm not actually thirsty any more" to keep drinking, it takes a bit to imbibe all your body can possibly manage and you're not noticeably all that thirsty for the last couple drinks.

I think his problem is that because something pops up on the UI to let you know of your state every time it changes, that something changing color is not enough to alert you.

On the other hand, since there are many foods/drinks that satiate different amounts, most people want to be aware of their hunger/thirst levels at any time, even when they overeat etc, without having to open the character sheet or drink something for the indicator to appear.

Current UI system is not bad, but perhaps it would be best if the alert icons were reserved for debuffs only, and everything else was integrated in the UI. Instead of having two separate bars for hunger/thirst like in the past, they could come up with a more compact solution, like integrating them with the stamina bar while also showing the overeating portion. While the blackened stamina bar represents hunger decently, players sometimes still open the sheet to check their overeating levels, and thirst is not represented at all. They could integrate them in a way that also makes the relationships more clear.

Temperature should also be represented in a less linear way (other than "omg you are burning/freezing effect"), but first they have to complete the temp/weather system.

Thats a huge oversight, uselessly clutters the HUD and gives bad information to players.

Previously, information about food and water was presented directly on the screen in the form of indicators-columns.

Do you know why they were removed?

Joel said they were cluttering up the interface.

Isn't the warning given at the moment when you start suffering stamina regen problems.. as in, it is indicating an issue that would otherwise be seen only by staring at the sta bar and doing math on the numbers. If so - it has a function, it's just a little .. weird.

I wouldn't mind removing it, or inversely adding a straight up thirst meter on the UI (or even rewriting water management entirely..) but the change I'd really like is just a simple keybind to a character stats page where you can see all the "hidden" values (mobility% / food / etc .. ) And having all of the functional ones on one page, if you want to track nonfunctional ones like hours lived and items crafted... have them on their own page, at the moment they're a little messy.

At the moment it's one keybind plus tabbing to the wrong page by mouse and then finding the one you were looking for... gimme a simple button and I'll be happy.. :)

I would love to have the ability to right click away an status update and resulting gui indicator and have it not show again until the state has changed (ie level of indication)

I do think it is important to let you know when a state changes, but not being able to remove it is annoying. Additionally, having a hot key that displayed your buff status/H20/Food/HP and equipped armor in the SAME screen would be GREAT.

Currently they have the buff/health/hydration/food/armor stats spread across more than one menu/screen. This should be contained in a single screen.

Having H20/Food/Health (frequently needed info)

in the same screen as xp to next level (rarely referenced info)

Seems inefficiently placed and I'd rather see that in the same screen as my buff/armor/temp.

this is why you should use an xbox controller

they vibrate when the thirst icon goes red

and the hunger

and the hot

and the cold

and ....

i quite like it actually, it adds to the tension, especially when you are cold AND hungry AND being chased AND run out of stamina and you drank some dirty water and ate some food without vitamins because you were desperate, and just need to run over there (which surely isnt too far) back to base and the red icons are flashing and the controller is going zzzzt zzzzt zzzzt...

When anything beyond your cap was wasted (or equivalently when the bar went all the way to the past-this-gets-wasted extreme limit), people complained about the waste, they'd always want to overeat and overdrink and complain they couldn't stay full. So now you can choose how long past "I'm not actually thirsty any more" to keep drinking, it takes a bit to imbibe all your body can possibly manage and you're not noticeably all that thirsty for the last couple drinks.

lol!

bar, wasted (x2), overeat, over drink, keep drinking, imbibe all you body can possibly manage, last couple of drinks

and thats how you make false news.

do you need to talk to someone?

sorry im busy getting another vodka

Use better quality water; Purified Mineral Water drops fairly often from water coolers, even on day 1. Yucca Juice is a fairly easy alternative that's craftable early on. I get a thirst prompt every 30-36 hours in game (longer if I spend time putting around at base crafting), but I also have Iron Gut maxed at this point.

Don't understand the problem. Maybe in early game you have these icons often, because you are low on food and water supply. Since you are low anyway, you will consume everything as you find it. The constant item shows you exactly what it means: You are hungry, but not as hungry as you will starve during the next 2 hours. But nevertheless you are hungry and not fully satisfied.

In later game, food and water is no issue anymore. As soon as the icon pops up, you eat or drink something.

If you miss the icon going from orange to red and that causes you to die without knowing what's going on, you probably should switch to other games like.... tetris?

For me it turned out to be even more fun if you don't see exact numbers. It's even more "realisitc". 1 hour after you ate something you have "hunger" like 90%? Basically no need to eat anything but still not fully satisfied, but already careing you might starve anyway? If you are little bit thirsty, do you drink now or do you wait until your thirst makes you feeling sick before you drink anything?

this is why you should use an xbox controller

they vibrate when the thirst icon goes red

and the hunger

and the hot

and the cold

and ....

i quite like it actually, it adds to the tension, especially when you are cold AND hungry AND being chased AND run out of stamina and you drank some dirty water and ate some food without vitamins because you were desperate, and just need to run over there (which surely isnt too far) back to base and the red icons are flashing and the controller is going zzzzt zzzzt zzzzt...

Vibrating controllers? Microsoft trying to attract more female gamers? I kid!

The interesting thing for me is, with a HUD mod installed so I can see my hunger and thirst meters, the Thirst warning tends to start triggering earlier and earlier until it's eventually popping up at values over 100%, meaning I have to constantly be 'overfull' on thirst or the game will tell me I'm thirsty. 150 is the new 100. I've never quite figured out why this is. Hunger doesn't do it. Any ideas?

The interesting thing for me is, with a HUD mod installed so I can see my hunger and thirst meters, the Thirst warning tends to start triggering earlier and earlier until it's eventually popping up at values over 100%, meaning I have to constantly be 'overfull' on thirst or the game will tell me I'm thirsty. 150 is the new 100. I've never quite figured out why this is. Hunger doesn't do it. Any ideas?

BOB! We were looking for you earlier, you've been invited to a barbecue. Would you mind bringing a grill? :-P

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?145941-Apparently-we-are-all-playing-the-game-wrong&p=1090767&viewfull=1#post1090767

the Thirst warning tends to start triggering earlier and earlier until it's eventually popping up at values over 100%, meaning I have to constantly be 'overfull' on thirst or the game will tell me I'm thirsty. 150 is the new 100.

Afaik the warning pops up when it reaches 50%. When you have max 60 it pops up at 30 and if you have 150 it pops up at 75. That makes some people feel the warning pops up more often when they have increased the value. Because when they startet with 50 and survived 50 easily and the warning came up at 25 it was still enough, and later the warning pops up at 60... much more then they even had when full in the begining.

Imagine it like a stomach. The bigger the stomach, the earlier you feel hungry again even if you ate/drank much more than somebody with a smaller stomach. You become hungry, but that doesn't mean you have to die immediately.

Especially it doesn't pop up at values even above 100%. I guess more or less you have a bug there.

Dunno what HUD mod you're using but AFAIK hydration values are not given as % natively. It scales with your stamina so if you have 160 max stamina then you have 160 max hydration as well (plus some room for overdrinking). The game pops up the Thirst alert at 75% hydration so for a 160 max you'd see the alert at a hydration value of 120 "hydration units". Not 120%.

I use SMXhud and that's how it works in that one. It's just showing the raw numbers from the player stats screen I believe. I also think the thirst warning is more aggressive than the hunger warning so for example thirst will warn you at 75% hydration whereas food won't fire until 50% full or somesuch.

Dunno what HUD mod you're using but AFAIK hydration values are not given as % natively. It scales with your stamina so if you have 160 max stamina then you have 160 max hydration as well (plus some room for overdrinking). The game pops up the Thirst alert at 75% hydration so for a 160 max you'd see the alert at a hydration value of 120 "hydration units". Not 120%.

I use SMXhud and that's how it works in that one. It's just showing the raw numbers from the player stats screen I believe. I also think the thirst warning is more aggressive than the hunger warning so for example thirst will warn you at 75% hydration whereas food won't fire until 50% full or somesuch.

Yep, it's SMXHud; not sure how that % snuck in there. Probably because it's intuitive to think of 100/100 in terms of percents. And the thirst warning is indeed very aggressive.

I think his problem is that because something pops up on the UI to let you know of your state every time it changes, that something changing color is not enough to alert you.

On the other hand, since there are many foods/drinks that satiate different amounts, most people want to be aware of their hunger/thirst levels at any time, even when they overeat etc, without having to open the character sheet or drink something for the indicator to appear.

Current UI system is not bad, but perhaps it would be best if the alert icons were reserved for debuffs only, and everything else was integrated in the UI. Instead of having two separate bars for hunger/thirst like in the past, they could come up with a more compact solution, like integrating them with the stamina bar while also showing the overeating portion. While the blackened stamina bar represents hunger decently, players sometimes still open the sheet to check their overeating levels, and thirst is not represented at all. They could integrate them in a way that also makes the relationships more clear.

Temperature should also be represented in a less linear way (other than "omg you are burning/freezing effect"), but first they have to complete the temp/weather system.

If there IS an answer available for this thread; this is it. lol.

I just hate being spammed and if you ACTUALLY level up to where you have 150 max water, you get spammed 24/7 by the damn water indicator icon. xD

That max water cap doesnt scale with level. Its just static so when you get to 150cap, when you lose half a day or less of water, you get SPAMMED even tho you have a day and a half worth of water in your body.

It gets even worse if you take the perks for slow metabolism.

That max water cap doesnt scale with level.

It does, it's always 50%.

Its just static so when you get to 150cap, when you lose half a day or less of water, you get SPAMMED even tho you have a day and a half worth of water in your body.

Then ♥♥♥♥ing just drink something. You don't get just thirsty when you just before drying out. The icon just tells you, you are thirsty, not dying within the next 5min. Whats the ♥♥♥♥ing problem? If you want to live on the edge, you don't need to drink just because there is an icon. Then just drink when it turns red. Or even wait to drink when it turned red an hour ago.

Do you only drink if you are just before collapsing? NO, you drink when you are ♥♥♥♥ing thirsty.

I don't get the problem! If you become thirsty you drink one or two bottles. If you want to exeed it, you end up later but then need to drink four bottles. What's the effort then? Using it just late but twice the amount because you waited twice the time?

If you just live on the edge the icon is always up... BECAUSE YOU ARE ALWAYS ON THE EDGE!

If the icon would only popup if you are REALLY on the edge, other people would complain that it popups to late.

I don't get the point.. even if it turns red, you have still plenty of time to drink something. Especially in later game stages.

For me it sounds like people hanging on a rope 10m above ground. And if their smartphone rings then they let the rope go, just because the smartphone rings and they think there is no opportunity left then answer. They will die, but there is nothing more important to answer the call, but they still do.

Socially trained apes... nothing more intelligent. Everything has to be like they want to have it. No intelligence left to adept things besides what they would like to see.

So the only problem you have is, the icon is showing, but you don't want to deal with it? And you don't want to ignore it. You just complain because it's visible?

You know what the icon means, don't you? But you still complain, because the icon doesn't fit your playstyle. So everybody has to play your style, and that's the reason why it should be changed?

Simple logical step: If you see the icon => drink THREE bottles of water (60 hydration). Solves three problems; the icon becomes useful, you'll stop getting annoyed by it and you'll never have to wonder if you need a drink.

I'm not sure what precentage it pops up, but wether it's 75 or 50.. you have the same +50 overfill cap for water as you have for food. So if it warns at 75 on level 1, you'll have 150-75 = 75 room for drinking. If it warns at 150 on level 100 ("water cap" of 200, with overfill to 250), you'll have enough room for 5 bottles of water. Or practically two mineral waters.

Essentially, drink MORE when you see it, you'll see it less often.

I just hate being spammed and if you ACTUALLY level up to where you have 150 max water, you get spammed 24/7 by the damn water indicator icon. xD

That max water cap doesnt scale with level. Its just static so when you get to 150cap, when you lose half a day or less of water, you get SPAMMED even tho you have a day and a half worth of water in your body.

It gets even worse if you take the perks for slow metabolism.

This is absolutely false at least for A18. Your max hydration is not capped at 150, it is 100 + your level (I think starting at level 2, but definitely as you get higher). Just start a throwaway game and use giveselfxp 2000000 a few times in the console to see how your hydration goes up beyond 150 as you pass level 50.

The thirsty icon pops at 75% hydration, so that as you go up in level it will actually take longer for that icon to pop, assuming you start at max hydration (excluding over-hydration, which adds an additional 50 above your natural limit). Examples:

Level 1: max hydration 100, water drain until thirsty=25

Level 80: max hydration 180, water drain until thirsty=45

So if just standing in the forest consumes 1 water per in-game minute, it would take 25 minutes for you to get thirsty at level 1, but 45 minutes to get thirsty at level 80. All other things being equal, of course.

Archived