Dev Diary arguing

beerfly

Is that a myth or is that confirmed (that LCB's prevent zombie respawns). Madmole? Fun Pimps? Care to settle this argument once and for all? Haha

No, no, LCB are for players only, sorry didn`t mention the productivity of my co-players that sometimes do bad structural stuff (we build and rebuild A LOT) , so I will have a safe place of my own :p

We use 2 blocks thick, 3 blocks height reinforced concrete fence for zeds and my bat for defence, its enough for home base. Not the horde one.

Actually, kinetic energy E = 0.5 * m * v²

so if you swing a well balanced club fast and a heavy club slowly, the faster club will likely do more damage.

If anything, based on it's looks the new iron club will not be a major upgrade over the new wooden club.

Pff what a nerd!

Question: Have you ever considered spicing up the GS formula with extra factors, so that it doesn't so heavily depend on level?

lol.... Gazz, us nerds rule ;) lol

Close but there is a few things that are incorrect in your statement.

Under constant force they will both have the same kinetic energy because W = Force*distance.

If both of those weapons are swung at the same speed they do not have the same kinetic energy because you must take in to account the mass of an object in order to calculate the k energy. KE = 0.5 × m × v^2 not W = F × d

Some models consider weapon swings to be constant power however, which would give the slower weapon extra energy by W = Power*time.

The slower a weapon is the less K energy it has not more assuming when you use the word energy you mean k energy.

imo heavy weapons are only weaker when the the target's inertia is low enough that a significant potion of the blunt weapon's kinetic energy is converted to kinetic energy for the target in the form of knockback, diverting mechanical energy away from the task of deforming the target's skull.

Opinions, thankfully do not have any place when it comes to physics. K energy does not convert in to K energy, it converts in to work.

See my post from last night as reference https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?135665-Alpha-19-Dev-Diary&p=1092170&viewfull=1#post1092170

This is exactly what we're doing. If someone rage quits because we finally replaced the alpha 1 club, then they need their heads examined. Sorry but we need to make pbr art for everything. Yes it will look like a whole new game but we feel like 7 days will be in the top sellers for 10 years if we do this, versus just ship it and vanish in 2 years. So every bit of art is getting reworked, and while we're at it, its the same amount of work to make a design match as it is to just redo the old club that had ZERO thought put into it.

That said all the new wall textures and new weapons introduced are pbr, but the gamma lighting made them look not as nice as they could. So its not like we have to redo everything starting now, most of the game is already redone. Every weapon is already redone I just haven't shown them yet because they are in rigging and in game has some bugs right now. It looks stunning though, like shut up and take my money all over again stunning, all for free to existing users.

But as usual, art has NEVER held up the show. Its always just gravy. The code and having designs we're happy with are the bottlenecks.

Anyone who thinks that art alone will keep a game in the top seller category needs their head examined.

Anyone who thinks that art alone will keep a game in the top seller category needs their head examined.

Good thing that TFP don’t think like that. Only a portion of their team is on this another portion is work and Bandits and Weapons so on and so forth. This game will be done when it’s done. They just want to shoot for greatness and know that presentation is one of the factors that people look at when they first buy a game. As long as they are still working on new weapons and Bandits I’m good with any side project they’re working on. Anyways what else do you want them to be working on?

Realism isn’t fun and stifles creativity. Who CARES about the physics of the club. It looks cool and I’d love to bash people’s brains in with a lot of metal gears. We already have seen other boring zombie survival games that pretty much stick to crowbars and metal pipes. I want drones, power movies, MacGyver lookin ♥♥♥♥, rail guns, jet powered sledge hammers, enemies having special attacks and actually busting up poi’s. You want a game with so much crazy potential to be ground in real life. Bruh!

Good thing that TFP don’t think like that. Only a portion of their team is on this another portion is work and Bandits and Weapons so on and so forth. This game will be done when it’s done. They just want to shoot for greatness and know that presentation is one of the factors that people look at when they first buy a game. As long as they are still working on new weapons and Bandits I’m good with any side project they’re working on. Anyways what else do you want them to be working on?

I would say the "art" or graphics only really matter to children and young people when purchasing a game.

If the target audience for future sales are children and young people then I would say it matters. Don't get me wrong, if a game looks like complete crap I doubt it will sell very well. When I'm out looking to buy a game the very last thing I look at is the art or graphics of a game. If that was the case, I never would have bought 7D2D during A8 or so.

I strongely agree with JaxTeller718 on this one, art is not going to keep this game selling for years.

Note this is just my opinion as I have never researched the science and statistics behind what sells and or keeps a game selling nor have I sat down and had extensive conversations with anyone who would have knowledge of this.

My buddy wishes their was more to the combat in this game and I know where he’s coming from. It’s kinda boring to fight the same zombies over and over with generic weapons. The combat is ok but I feel like it has so much potential if they go more into a exaggerated territory. I like the club design because it’s a step in the right direction. Add the ability to block add borderland like one button skills.

Bandits and Weapons so on and so forth. As long as they are still working on new weapons and Bandits I’m good with any side project they’re working on.

7 years to wait. Cmon, we original supporters are going to die out before it gets there :D

Only if they haven't got time to attach a bayonet.

Soldiers are trained to use anything, including their rifle, as a makeshift melee weapon.

Good point, I kinda wish I had thought of that arguement but I must admit... In the 5 years I served I've never heard of or seen a bayonet attach to a SAW.

EDIT: Nor can I think of a situation where you would want to attach a bayonet to a SAW in order to use when engaged in hand to hand combat/CQC. Personally I would drop the SAW and engage with just the bayonet in hand if faced with that type of situation and had no other choice.

I would say the "art" or graphics only really matter to children and young people when purchasing a game.

If the target audience for future sales are children and young people then I would say it matters. Don't get me wrong, if a game looks like complete crap I doubt it will sell very well. When I'm out looking to buy a game the very last thing I look at is the art or graphics of a game. If that was the case, I never would have bought 7D2D during A8 or so.

I strongely agree with JaxTeller718 on this one, art is not going to keep this game selling for years.

Note this is just my opinion as I have never researched the science and statistics behind what sells and or keeps a game selling nor have I sat down and had extensive conversations with anyone who would have knowledge of this.

It does show the level of competence though. In a voxel game I would think it would matter more since you need things to be recognizable. Smoothing out the games shadows and clearing up some ruff ends is more important in this game than others. I just hope they don’t make everything look so damn glossy.

Good point, I kinda wish I had thought of that arguement but I must admit... In the 5 years I served I've never heard of or seen a bayonet attach to a SAW.

EDIT: Nor can I think of a situation where you would want to attach a bayonet to a SAW in order to use when engaged in hand to hand combat. Personally I would drop the SAW and engage with just the bayonet in hand if faced with that type of situation and had no other choice.

Why not do both? Get your knife ready but gaffa-tape a knife to the GPMG barrel for a little extra poking range during the initial charge. That said, if you're big enough to think about using it as a melee weapon you probably don't need any help poking holes in people with it :-)

Archived