Okay great we have new fun systems, but when will this game ever get optimized?

PRIMER

Been a fan of this game for quite a while and have honestly just stopped playing because of how horribly it runs and how buggy stuff is.

I like that the developers are trying to figure out how exactly the game should be paced and how to make existing systems (like eating and scavenging) better. But it's at the point now where it barely functions framerate wise.

I'm running a 4GB VRAM graphics card with 16GB ram and the game runs like absolute garbage. It played better in previous versions: A16 comes to mind.

There have been people complaining of memory leaks for years and it has never been addressed. Instead we get random cosmetic and gameplay enhancements.

It's frustrating to see a game with such promise being bugged down by the fact that it can barely run for extended periods. I am not sure if its because of the game being made in unity or what, but when will the devs address the obvious problem that the game doesn't run well at all?

Leave all the new cosmetic and gameplay stuff out for one update and just make the game function properly.

What are you talking about? This game gets optimizations just about every update. A18.3 has fixed all remaining, which was barely any in A18.2, low fps for me and from the sounds of it, the vast majority of the community as well. When was the last time you actually played? What exactly are the issues you are having? What memory leaks are you having? What bugs are a huge issue for you? Please be more specific as it sounds like you are just complaining for the sake of complaining. :)

I can run this game for 9+ hours with zero issues....not sure exactly what you mean by "It's frustrating to see a game with such promise being bugged down by the fact that it can barely run for extended periods"

I've played the newest update 18.3 and while it fixed a bit of the graphical lag there is still movement lag and tearing. Stuff not rendering, issues with the world failing to load things. It stutters constantly even on the lowest settings possible. It has never run particularly well which is bizarre for it being basically minecraft with guns and better textures.

As for the memory leak, there have been tons of threads asking why the game is using such a vast amount of RAM throughout every version and not particularly running well either. This game in particular ran a laptop I had so freaking hot compared to any other game.

I can look up endless threads about the RAM issue.

Sure the game is in alpha and the developers are listening and actively trying to make the game what the players want. All good things, but when the actual core game has had consistently poor performance, with more and more stuff being added, when will it ever become a priority to make the game run decently?

Ok, so a few things.

1. This is an Alpha. Optimization is a focus for Beta. Currently Bets is planned for a19/20

2. A19 has had quite a bit of optimization done, a lot of it was ported to a18.3

Also, for those curious on why this game uses so much more RAM and CPU than others...

RAM and VRAM numbers are completely useless. Im playing on AMD setup and frames are far worse than on nVidia GPUs. AMD has far worse support for games running on Unity engine. Ive got 16GB 3200Mhz of RAM, R5 3600 4.2Ghz, Vega56 8GB and honestly not seeing stable 60 frames at maxed out settings is kind of disappointing at Full HD.

RAM and VRAM numbers are completely useless. Im playing on AMD setup and frames are far worse than on nVidia GPUs. AMD has far worse support for games running on Unity engine. Ive got 16GB 3200Mhz of RAM, R5 3600 4.2Ghz, Vega56 8GB and honestly not seeing stable 60 frames at maxed out settings is kind of disappointing at Full HD.

The most common issue I've seen with people owning AMD systems is that their RAM speeds are actually set incorrectly due to the way the motherboard is programmed. (In some cases it actually ships that way on pre-built systems as well.)

A lot of people assume that you put the RAM in and it will automatically use the speed it's rated at. Instead the systems are setting a default configuration of the lowest speed the RAM is rated for. I can't even count the number of times Fox or myself have run into this over the past year or so. Another issue with AMD has been the "Cool and Quiet" profile. It will under-clock both CPU and RAM to save energy. This feature doesn't have a hugely negative impact on a lot of games, but on this one it most definitely does.

Just for reference, where is what I am currently running on 18.3.

Win 10

i7-3930k at 4.2GHz

32GB DDR3 RAM at @1866Mhz

EVGA GTX1060 6GB SSC with stock OC

OS and game on separate SSD's, save data on ultra-fast SSHD's in RAID 0

I'm currently getting an average over 100FPS, with dips into the mid-80's for a large BM horde.

I'm running with basically everything on max at 1920x1080. With the except of Reflections, V-Sync, SSOA, DOF, and Sun Shafts all being turned off. Shadows are on low.

It has never run particularly well which is bizarre for it being basically minecraft with guns and better textures.

People that are complaining about performance with obviously absolutely no clue of how software works are anoying.

As for the memory leak, there have been tons of threads asking why the game is using such a vast amount of RAM throughout every version and not particularly running well either. This game in particular ran a laptop I had so freaking hot compared to any other game.

I have seen memory leaks in previous versions. But they have been mostly fixed with minor updates. I haven't seen a memory leak in A18 yet. Memory usage stays almost constant. It doesn't grow endless.

The most common issue I've seen with people owning AMD systems is that their RAM speeds are actually set incorrectly due to the way the motherboard is programmed.

Does it have really a THAT HUGE effect on performance if the RAM runs on the defaul 2400Mhz instead of e.g. a 3200Mhz XMP profile?

What i see here is the 4GB VRAM. It has been recommended to people with even 6GB to not use high texture quality.

And when complaining about tearing, he shoud turn on v-sync and/or look up his graphics driver settings.

I bet he never actually looked into task manager to see where the actual problem might be. Just complaining about memory leaks because he read often about it, but never looked up if there is really a memory issue.

set texture filtering down to medium, to kind of compensate the blurry picture you can enable RIS in driver.

i gave up hoping for improvements from tfp regarding it, but i think its a viable workaround.

Thank you Fun Pimps for all the optimizations that came with A18.3. I no longer have any severe dips in FPS and for that I am thankful. I believe most that take time out there day to write up a negative post here on the forums in order to bash this product are not willing to take the same time to learn how to fix issues that they have control over. examples, screen tearing, low FPS due to them setting everything on max and not having a card that can handle it etc.

Does it have really a THAT HUGE effect on performance if the RAM runs on the defaul 2400Mhz instead of e.g. a 3200Mhz XMP profile?

In testing, yeah. There's a thread where I posted a comparison a while ago. Small changes in CPU clock speeds and RAM timings had a large impact on FPS performance.

What i see here is the 4GB VRAM. It has been recommended to people with even 6GB to not use high texture quality.

And when complaining about tearing, he shoud turn on v-sync and/or look up his graphics driver settings.

I bet he never actually looked into task manager to see where the actual problem might be. Just complaining about memory leaks because he read often about it, but never looked up if there is really a memory issue.

I have a 6GB card and run high textures. It uses about 4.5GB of VRAM.

In testing, yeah. There's a thread where I posted a comparison a while ago. Small changes in CPU clock speeds and RAM timings had a large impact on FPS performance.

Interesting........ In your test how many frames were being queued by the CPU if any? This is a major variable that I am assuming you took in to consideration when running such a test.

Been a fan of this game for quite a while and have honestly just stopped playing because of how horribly it runs and how buggy stuff is.

Yep. I could play this game two years ago. It ran fine. It was fun. They've ruined a good thing. It's the old story of too many cooks in the kitchen.

OP may want to review system configuration and drivers. I play at Ultra settings, 1600x900 res on an 8GB Core i7 laptop with a 2GB nVidia GTX960M and it runs at 40-50fps. If I use max resolution it drops to 25-35fps. In A16/17 it was difficult to play on this laptop without dropping the quality way down. A18 is by far the best it's ever been.

In one of the older alpha version i had a similar issue. I had always microlags even with 60 fps. I tried everything, updating my graphic driver, reinstall, verify game files etc nothing worked.

I solved the issue by cleaning first everything in game launcher (old saves, settings etc) and then I removed the game in steam and deleted all folder related to 7dtd like game folder and remaining stuff in appdata folder. After a fresh install I had no more microstutter and lags anymore. Maybe its worth to try.

Archived