Damage Numbers!!!

Alainto

Hello! :)

First of all, I would like to say that I am a Huge Fan of 7 Days to Die, with already 700+ Hours in-game time.

I have spent 90% of my playtime playing this game solo.

However, I finally convinced a friend, and for the past month, we have been playing together...

Playing this game with a friend whose "going to" game to play is not a "Horde Crafting Survival" game, opened up some things that I was a player, overlooked.

Clarity in Numbers.

Either the Number is an Entity Damage, or a Block Damage, or Modifiers from Books/Perks it is almost, impossible for a player to figure out, how much damage can he inflict on a zombie/block/player.

You can get a "Rough Estimate" but nothing more.

You can begin to solve this situation, by adding damage numbers pop up, every time "Entity Damage" occurs.

How awesome will that be?! :D

Sneaking.

I Love, the idea of Sneaking. However, as it now, it simply much "easier" to go in guns blazing and clear the room, than try to be stealthy, and eventually wake up a zombie (while you are crouching, with your light armor and mods) on the upper floor, because you passed, directly beneath him and then he will wake up everything.

I would love, if Sneaking, was more rewarding.

In many games, when you sneak around, you lose time (mainly). In order to compensate and give you an incentive to do so, games reward you for completing Sneak tasks.

I would suggest, Zombie Kills Award more XP if killed with a Sneak attack.

Opening Containers without being Heard, should award more loot. etc etc.

Also, on the topic of sneaking. How about a new, "Execute animation" while sneaking towards a zombie, and you hold E with a Knife Equipped (then we can add more weapons)!?!? :tickled_pink::smile-new::tickled_pink::smile-new:

I hope I made this thread on the right spot on the forum,since this is my first post!

Love you FunPimps!

Not sure what you mean by sneaking isn't viable. My primary mode of attack for POIs is sneaking. With the sneaking perks, sneak attack perks, books, and armor mods. You can easily clear factories or 6flr Apartments without waking up anything. Trouble is the irradiateds that can tank a x4 sneak hit from my t6 bow and steel arrows. Even when they do wake up, so long as you stop moving and let your meter drop, you can lose a zombie that is standing right in front of you.

The sneaking perk also muffles your actions by a pretty decent amount.

I could see bonus xp for sneak kills, but if you play solo, just bump up the xp base to begin with.

I've seen mods that display an enemy hp bar, which would be a useful addition for this, but could ruin the experience for others.

I like the executions idea!

The reward for sneaking is much lower ammo consumption.

Maybe ammo availability isn't quite balanced yet. But generally if you clear POIs with an M60 you need to invest a lot of time to get the additional ammo for horde nights. Because raiding a poi with an M60 will hardly give you back the ammo you used to raid it. A stealthy player instead gets all of his ammo just through looting pois and occasionally buying some ammo at the trader.

Just say no to more pop ups and health bars. We aren't wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs so let's not play like we're wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs.. yet! <- fixed by Tin

Kidding of course.

I never cared for health bars or other such indicators in this game until the implementation of glancing blows and the added significance of bleed effects for blades. With those, tracking how much damage you've done to a target is becoming way too cumbersome, so you'll end up overkilling a perfectly dead bleeder.

I still don't want an extra red bar floating on my screen, but Some way to differentiate between "6 stacks of bleeding and 20 hp" and "1 stack of bleeding and 200 hp" would be nice. If it takes a red bar, I'd rather have it than not.

Just say no to more pop ups and health bars. We aren't wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs so let's not play like we're wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs.

not that i want more pop ups but i have no clue how this opinion is in line with flying drones.

we have AR (google glass, hololens ) now iRL, as we have drones, one is good and one is bad?

Im testing a lot of different builds, and its hard trying to theory craft what talents are best spent where, when you dont know how effective they are in terms of damage per second. I figured out how to hook for AoE damage and it would be nice to know if the damage is spreading, or if each zombie is taking the full power. Another cool move is the superman punch, and after using it a lot I can only assume that it doesnt add any extra damage, but it would be nice to know for sure at a simple glance. The super man punch takes a lot of stamina and its super hard to time and be accurate, so hopefully they do give it a damage buff in future patches.

I dont like using machine guns. I like melee builds, so it makes sense to be able to measure damage. But if you do use machine guns, it would be super annoying trying to see what your doing, with all the numbers popping up in your face.

Im testing a lot of different builds, and its hard trying to theory craft what talents are best spent where, when you dont know how effective they are in terms of damage per second. I figured out how to hook for AoE damage and it would be nice to know if the damage is spreading, or if each zombie is taking the full power. Another cool move is the superman punch, and after using it a lot I can only assume that it doesnt add any extra damage, but it would be nice to know for sure at a simple glance. The super man punch takes a lot of stamina and its super hard to time and be accurate, so hopefully they do give it a damage buff in future patches.

I dont like using machine guns. I like melee builds, so it makes sense to be able to measure damage. But if you do use machine guns, it would be super annoying trying to see what your doing, with all the numbers popping up in your face.

Do you mean "power attack" (the attack activated with the right mouse button) when you say "superman punch" ?

But the penalty is much more time taken, so it evens out. In fact I think time is the more important resource. I can clear a POI ~ 4x faster running and gunning than I can sneaking about.

If it did even out that would be the great, that was my point. But I agree with your second sentence, probably it isn't balanced very well ATM.

For a player there is another consideration though: He saves time with other attributes, but needs to spend half of that time in a mine. One could view AGI as a convenience option.

<snip>

Exactly! I see you have without a doubt played as a stealth build before. very cool.

But the penalty is much more time taken, so it evens out. In fact I think time is the more important resource. I can clear a POI ~ 4x faster running and gunning than I can sneaking about.

yep, sneaking can take a long time vs run n gun when clearing a POI.

I wouldn't mind if they introduced popup damage as an additional option - strictly for those people that want to test out weapons, check various loadouts or differentiate between builds. For regular gameplay it would be more like Borderlands and i wouldn't want that personally.

As much as this game is configurable, such "visual" options could simply be options, just like there is a mod that shows an HP bar for enemies, there could be a mod for popup damage, more sneaking incentives or whatever.

From my long time experience as a sneaky bastard, it's very viable and doable even for the biggest POIs and toughest enemies.

Perk up, train and succeed you will.

Maybe ammo availability isn't quite balanced yet. But generally if you clear POIs with an M60 you need to invest a lot of time to get the additional ammo for horde nights. Because raiding a poi with an M60 will hardly give you back the ammo you used to raid it. A stealthy player instead gets all of his ammo just through looting pois and occasionally buying some ammo at the trader.

Couldn't agree more with this. Ammo conservation is key when looting POIs. I usually melee as much as possible and only use ammunition that I have an over abundance. Crouching, noise reduction armor mods do wonders on getting those sneak shots in.

- - - Updated - - -

Just say no to more pop ups and health bars. We aren't wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs so let's not play like we're wearing power suits with scifi sensors and HUDs.

Maybe when the TFPs add power suits to the INT tree then those indicators can be added....i kid i kid....*runs away*

- - - Updated - - -

You bring up a great point, the ultimate resource is definitely time. This is mostly most critical for those playing on harder difficulties and more frequent horde nights.

I wouldn't mind if they introduced popup damage as an additional option - strictly for those people that want to test out weapons, check various loadouts or differentiate between builds. For regular gameplay it would be more like Borderlands and i wouldn't want that personally.

As much as this game is configurable, such "visual" options could simply be options, just like there is a mod that shows an HP bar for enemies, there could be a mod for popup damage, more sneaking incentives or whatever.

From my long time experience as a sneaky bastard, it's very viable and doable even for the biggest POIs and toughest enemies.

Perk up, train and succeed you will.

Good point, but viewing damage dealt can already be achieved by entering Debug Mode by pressing 'F1' to bring up the console, 'dm' to enable debug mode, and Numpad 0 to turn on entity debug info, including HP.

When I first heard they might do health bars in A17 I must have prayed hard enough cuz they scrapped it :p

That’s one of the major “immersion” mechanics I always enjoyed - you can’t tell if they’re close to dying and that’s how it would be. I like realism, but only to a point. Junk turrets is where I draw the line but to each their own.

I will say, an extremely simple to add mechanic when a zed falls, would be to randomize the amount of time it takes before they get back up. Not the same old, fall and get back up at the same speed everytime. That would increase the immersion cuz you wouldn’t know they’re dead. Having it a static setting for how fast they get back up is a bit underwhelming.

I will say, an extremely simple to add mechanic when a zed falls, would be to randomize the amount of time it takes before they get back up. Not the same old, fall and get back up at the same speed everytime. That would increase the immersion cuz you wouldn’t know they’re dead. Having it a static setting for how fast they get back up is a bit underwhelming.

From what I understand, that's already the case. Some zombies get up quickly, others need more time. Often you get the impression that a zombie is dead, but when you turn around he gets up.

I think i saw a mod that varied the get up time for downed zombies. Pretty sure Tin or someone worked on that in A17 at least...

Thanks for the info TSBX, i will check that out later on, but i assume the OP wanted something differently working.

@Ac75 the amount of "immersion" is the reason i don't like Borderlands series that much as other types of shooters. I understand it's the specific setting, but the Hack'n Slash'y gameplay with WoW colors everywhere and numbers popping left and right are not in my taste. Not that i didn't play the games, finished 1st, played a bit on the 2nd, but couldn't get into it. Won't try out the 3rd.

Archived