Question about looting

doomstrike53

I play on a private server with some friends, and we were wondering how much of an effect exactly the lucky looter has. 1 of us is perception focused and has max rank looting, we've basically worked out ahead of time which attributes we are each focusing on in order to be more balanced and have someone able to do a certain thing really well. However, there are certain resources/books that can only be found by looting, so some of us would like to help with that whenever possible, but since most don't have any points into looting, is it even worth it? Wouldn't it be better to let the guy with the best looting do it all, or is gamestage a much more important factor when it comes to loot quality?

Personal experience is that it makes a huge difference. In my two recent plays I am playing 2 different builds, my first had level 4 lucky looters and the later none. By second in game day I had items from green to purple for the looter and it took two weeks to gain some purples, that guy is still using brown items due to lacking potions...

LL has an effect, especially if you "go for it" at the start of the game when your own gamestage is near zero. But in the long run that bonus will be dwarfed by your gamestage. And if you don't invest in perception you can still learn LL to 2 and close that gap. If you want to know, just note your gamestage, play 5 days and look at the gamestage again. If the perception player is 3 perk points ahead in LL, he gets 30 to gamestage. Calculate 30*5 / (gamestage.after-gamestage.before). That value is the number of days he is ahead of you, when looting.

In my SP game I have LL at 1 or 2 and I have found a lot of books and good weapons. Probably I would have a few more with higher LL but I don't think the difference would be as critical as a lot less perk points in my primary attribute would have.

The more important point (for me) though is that even without perception I (and probably many other players) want to scavenge and find stuff too (in MP). It would ruin my fun if I let only the perception guy do the looting. Your mileage and greed may vary :cocksure:

I play MP too by the way and we agreed that everyone gets to loot (but we select at start who gets which books independent of finder). In our current game we are at day 21 and I got my first book complete. I don't get the impression that our perception guy finds more books than the rest, at least not enough that I could notice it.

The bonus is rather negligible. I almost never go past the first point unless I am doing a perception build or in the endgame. Game stage is a FAR larger factor here. The only time ll is really noticeable is really on day 1. Those extra points right away is noticeable when your game stage is 1.

The actual bonus for me is the time bonus - you loot things a LOT faster when perked and you spend far to much time staring at a damn countdown in this game already.

The bonus is rather negligible. I almost never go past the first point unless I am doing a perception build or in the endgame. Game stage is a FAR larger factor here. The only time ll is really noticeable is really on day 1. Those extra points right away is noticeable when your game stage is 1.

The actual bonus for me is the time bonus - you loot things a LOT faster when perked and you spend far to much time staring at a damn countdown in this game already.

This, the QoL bonus this provides is HUGE, and easily overlooked. If you loot everything you are opening dozens, sometimes hundreds of containers in a POI. The savings are not obvious but quickly add up for looting.

Previous game, I was the tech guy (TG) and one of my friend the looter (LO), the last one the fighter (FI) for simplification.

Loot effectiveness (meaning lootings books, engines, T6 weapons or armors) was almost like this

- TG : 40%

- LO : 35%

- FI : 25%

If you also put the mechanical parts and all other stuff you can get by disassembling everything he had 60%. This guy has trouble and understand loot this house as "get everything from it even the wood from the walls" which make some funny cities afterward.

Due to a server crash we had to start over and wanted to switch between Tech Guy and Looter. Now it's like this

- Looter (ex TG) -60% : for more details; I was higher in GS for not dying in the whole first 2 weeks so could help the good loot poping.

- FI : 35%

- TG : 5%

Second game is far less advanced than previous one. For me the impact is way more important in early GS and tend to be neutralized when everybody gets to the higher GS which open better loot tables.

I'm pretty sure that if you are in a party the LL bonus will be applied to party GS when looting. So you don't have to just have the "loot guy" open all of the containers. The XML comments imply as much, IIRC. Either that or I heard it here in the forums so you KNOW it must be true.

I have not actually tested this in co-op tho, so assume I'm full of crap unless someone else confirms my delusion.

Archived