Item Stats can be "wrong"

Hattrix

By "wrong" I mean, I've seen looted items of LOWER level have higher stats than a higher level item. I think this is something that should never happen. A level 4 or 5 pair of boots should never have ANY worse stats than a level 3 pair of the same type of boots.

Then you have something to look forward to because you had incredibly bad luck with the QL6 drops. =)

Or extreme luck with the Q4 drop. Either way, the overlap between the quality levels can be quite large. A simple blue is better than green is just not given anymore. You are happy about something that seems to be better and when you compare it you realize that you have drawn a blank.

I don't think that those who asked for random stats were expecting that this would apply to almost everything and that it could have a negative effect on items. Probably they had rather the idea that there would be a bonus on top of the basic stats and that only legendary items would get random stats.

A level 4 or 5 pair of boots should never have ANY worse stats than a level 3 pair of the same type of boots.

I don't have much of a problem with this, personally. It gives me a reason to look at the stats of gear when I loot it. In the past looting an item lower than what I already had was instantly scrapped or thrown in the stash to go to the trader.

Also those lvl 3 boots might have higher stats, but have fewer mod slots, so there is a trade-off there, and gives me something to think about.

I've thought about this some, and here's what I've got:

Ive had a ql3 AK do more work and damage than a t5, and it messed with my head some. But if you observe live performance outside the stats, their gameplay is literally not visibly noticeable. I did not lament wanting a t5 or a t6 AK because I knew it wasn't much of an upgrade.

What kills me is ammo cap lol. Although I have not experienced it yet, a 4 shot cap magnum would get tossed in the bin.

Finding a higher quality level than what you have, but with lower stats is one thing, but crafting?

I recently crafted 2 L5 compound bows (i have a L4), the first had 26 base damage (8 lower than current) and the second with 28 base damage. Other stats also were lower, but that was the biggest difference. I sold both and won't be crafting another one...

On the other hand, found a little better L6 steel pickaxe than my previous L3. Should i be glad? I dunno...

Then you have something to look forward to because you had incredibly bad luck with the QL6 drops. =)

That's not the point. It means that every time a weapon or item drops when looting I need to take it home with me to compare to the best in slot I currently have, including taking all the mods off it to compare. This is a huge waste of inventory space and time.

Finding a higher quality level than what you have, but with lower stats is one thing, but crafting?

I recently crafted 2 L5 compound bows (i have a L4), the first had 26 base damage (8 lower than current) and the second with 28 base damage. Other stats also were lower, but that was the biggest difference. I sold both and won't be crafting another one...

On the other hand, found a little better L6 steel pickaxe than my previous L3. Should i be glad? I dunno...

Does your QL4 bow have mods attached to it that you are forgetting?

I rather be able to look at a tool or weapon level and know right away if it is better than the one I have. I also have a problem like Ghostlight of having to lug around found weapons and tools because there is a chance it might be better than the one I have at home that I can't remember the stats of. I don't think devs are going to change this so was wondering if it is hardcoded or can it be modded out.

Does your QL4 bow have mods attached to it that you are forgetting?

Oh i compared after taking everything off, i know what i'm doing. Even having 1 more mod slot, it wouldn't compensate the difference. But what's the point if i have even the same damage with a higher level weapon? It's better to have better stats and 1 more mod slot.

That's not the point. It means that every time a weapon or item drops when looting I need to take it home with me to compare to the best in slot I currently have, including taking all the mods off it to compare. This is a huge waste of inventory space and time.

Totally agree.

Quoted For Truth!

If inventory space is more valuable to you than a potential upgrade to an item that you're not even using then the answer should be obvious: scrap it right there and then.

If it is a T3 tool/weapon then it will scrap into parts, which also take space. Also, a higher Level item could be sold at a trader for a few hundred coin, which isn't that low (and still need the space).

I personally always compare on the spot, but rarely do i scrap things, unless we talk about Level 1-3 items.

Don't expect any kind of reasonable response from the Pimps on this topic.
Unfortunately we cant expect any reasonable response whatsoever from the pimps. They have their reasons. And surely not from Gazz in any case. Looks like he thinks he is way above anyone here and always answer in a diminishing way. Or he is just really bad on communicating.

Archived