Easy way to get almost all books in no time.

Blasphemous

Not sure if this is known or if this is either a bug or a feature, but:

If you activate a clear quest in the victorian house (or any other PoI with random loot), then you quit and log back in, the quest will be cancelled but you can start it over and different books will be on the shelves?

Loot the books without killing all the "clear" quest monsters, log out, log in, start the quest, loot... rinse and repeat.

There seem to be "sets" of books, perhaps 3-4 sets, where each one has specific books available.

After doing this trick ~10 times you get all the variety you can, for this particular quest location.

Just get another one where the target location has books or whatever loot you prioritize and do it all over.

Between the church library and the school, I have managed to gather around 90% of all skill/recipe books.

If you activate a clear quest in the victorian house (or any other PoI with random loot), then you quit and log back in, the quest will be cancelled but you can start it over and different books will be on the shelves?

Loot the books without killing all the "clear" quest monsters, log out, log in, start the quest, loot... rinse and repeat.

There seem to be "sets" of books, perhaps 3-4 sets, where each one has specific books available.

After doing this trick ~10 times you get all the variety you can, for this particular quest location.

Just get another one where the target location has books or whatever loot you prioritize and do it all over.

Between the church library and the school, I have managed to gather around 90% of all skill/recipe books.

The relog restart of quests is a known "limitation" of the quest system. I suspect there currently is no way to save the status of ongoing quests. And that would mean the alternative would be failing the quest at logout.

Personally I would consider constant relogging being similar to save scumming in RPGs. In SP one could as well use the creative menue and simply get all the recipes.

There are no sets. A bookshelf has equal odds of dropping any book regardless of what POI that bookshelf is in so no need to change POI's.

Resetting POIs to get double loot is already walking a slim line between cheat and cheese. Still, going further to reset without clearing the whole POI?

I could argue that going through the whole building and clearing it to reset is similar to finding the same POI nearby and doing it again, mainly because you still go through the whole POI, not just the "convenient" parts. Wouldn't mind if they fixed it, although i guess it's similar to having loot respawn in 30 days or zombies respawn after some time in cleared POIs.

This has been the case since at least A17 but it's pretty cheaty. Even then, this isn't a great way to get all the books. You'd have to spend hours and hours and hours and hours doing this same house over and over to get all the books this way. If you're that dedicated to cheesing the game this hard you might as well just spawn in the books because this would get extremely boring pretty quickly I imagine.

Why not just enable creative mode and spawn them all in? Would be faster for you.

Resetting POIs to get double loot is already walking a slim line between cheat and cheese.

Later in game you might not even be able to avoid that, because when coming to T4 and T5 quests, often the pois which can provide these quests are very limited and you will get quests in the same (few) pois over and over again.

The trader quests made looting random pois completely useless. Why just loot a poi if you can loot a poi AND finish a quest with additional reward?

Either the game should save which poi was already done as a quest and never give it again, what means that one time you won't get any more quests because they are all done, or it should at least add a cooldown for each quest-poi before you can get a quest there again... like the loot respawn time.

Or maybe the poi is reset at quest start but without any loot AND it is reset again when the quest is finished, then again with loot inside. So that you are limited to either do a quest OR loot a building. Maybe also the poi-state before starting the quest should be stored and afterwards the poi is reset back to that state instead of being reset to its vanilla state.

Or maybe the poi is reset at quest start but without any loot AND it is reset again when the quest is finished, then again with loot inside. So that you are limited to either do a quest OR loot a building. Maybe also the poi-state before starting the quest should be stored and afterwards the poi is reset back to that state instead of being reset to its vanilla state.

When I do a T5 quest, loot is often no longer relevant to me. Ressources matters more to me. The apartment building for example has many beds that I can harvest to get springs. In the hospital and the factories I can get a lot of polymers from the cardboard boxes and the blinds. I also get a lot of paper from the cardbord boxes.

When I do a T5 quest, loot is often no longer relevant to me. Ressources matters more to me. The apartment building for example has many beds that I can harvest to get springs. In the hospital and the factories I can get a lot of polymers from the cardboard boxes and the blinds. I also get a lot of paper from the cardbord boxes.

I count ressources as loot, too. Especially you can get lots of brass that way by just harvesting the cars in the parkinglot in front of the big POIs. ;)

Well, CM is another thing to me.

The way I described still seems to be within reasonable limits of gameplay and I don't consider this outright cheating.

I don't get any advantage through third party means that I wouldn't be able to get through normal gameplay.

But I digress, neither is it actually that relevant, nor that time consuming.

An hour of this in real time was enough to max out quite a few skills.

My problem with using CM instead is that I won't be able to bring myself to stop there, I'll add ammo and tier 6 stuff afterwards and that would be very boring.

It's cheesy but so is driving away from the horde or spending the horde night on the roof of an apartment building or a factory doing nothing.

Anyway, somehow this doesn't feel like such a huge abuse to me but I understand that people have different opinions :)

Anyway, somehow this doesn't feel like such a huge abuse to me but I understand that people have different opinions :)

The act of logging in and logging out are meant to allow the player to put their gameplay on pause for when real life demands attention. So...gotta go to work or time for bed? Log off. Have some time to play again? Log on.

These acts are not meant to be part of the gameplay. There is definitely a weakness in the code that needs to be strengthened in regards to logging on and logging off but I think it is clear to anyone that the purpose of these actions is very limited and using them as you are is definitely an abuse of them.

If you are playing single player then who cares? But like others have said you might as well just enable the creative menu.

If you do that in single player, you are at least only destroying your personal game experience not that from others.

For me bug-using or using holes in game mechanics is the same as cheating. Same as building cheese bases just because you know how to exactly trick the ai.

I know for some people it's fun to find out how it can be done and i can understand that, but using that in a regular playthrough just destroyes the game... why even play then.

It's like doing wrong moves in chess and think it's ok, just because your opponent doesn't recognize it.

I once made a suggestion about reworking how quests work to shift them from POI centric to MAP centric.

In short (if i remember well), each POI would have its inner status and possibilities for quests (a chance to contain a hidden cache, but only once), clearing a POI (if all Zs cleared then it would stay like that), contains survivors (you have to clear it out and be sure the barricaded people survived), can be remade into a survivor camp (after clearing out you gather specified resources and give them to the NPC at the spot), etc.

Options are endless, just implementing that would be cumbersome... Not to mention my idea about out of sight Zombie Migrations...

With all that, you wouldn't see the same quest done in the same POI (unless a Wandering Horde stopped inside a cleared POI or some walkers roamed around it), not to mention the "reset" mechanic could go out the window.

Resetting POIs to get double loot is already walking a slim line between cheat and cheese. Still, going further to reset without clearing the whole POI?

I could argue that going through the whole building and clearing it to reset is similar to finding the same POI nearby and doing it again, mainly because you still go through the whole POI, not just the "convenient" parts. Wouldn't mind if they fixed it, although i guess it's similar to having loot respawn in 30 days or zombies respawn after some time in cleared POIs.

Yeah I agree. May as well just activate cheat mode if your going to cheese in this way.

If this isn't a "huge abuse" what exactly would someone have to do that you would consider it huge?

I won't even loot a POI before I start a quest because even that is too gimmicky in my mind.

There is a nuance here that I can see. Both are "cheating" to a degree but at least with repeating the quest, you do have to fight zombies again, break though walls/doors and run around looting.

So to a degree I see it as less cheaty than using creative mode.

I'm playing another map now and I've found so many schools, mansions with libraries and crack-a-book stores that I see no need to continue with this exploit. I realized that the previous map (random gen) really had very few sources of books, maybe that prompted me to cheese them out.

I'm playing on a higher difficulty now with faster, more frequent and more numerous hordes, seems like there's not much time to reload the game and raid the PoI all over. Plus I set the loot to 150% to compensate for the insanely tough zombies and I have so much fun again.

Maybe you guys are right and it is cheating. I always liked to tread a fine line between that and using the game's mechanics to your advantage, in all the games I play. I'll refrain from doing it in the future.

Oh and I exclusively play single player.

Archived