Looking for Advice on Joining MP Servers

blugold1

Thus far, I’ve only played single player, and have never joined a MP server. I’m interested in giving it a shot, but I’m not sure where to start.

Part of my hold up is that I play somewhat inconsistently. Monday through Friday is limited to evenings only, and it’s not uncommon for me to go days without playing. Weekends are hit or miss. Some weekends I’ll game for many hours each day, while others I won’t have time at all.

Does that type of inconsistent play work for MP servers? If so, it leads me to my next questions...

How do you pick a server with so many out there? Is it trial and error? I’m only interested in PVE, and know how to find that, but how do I know if they are welcoming to randoms joining?

Then come mods. I play vanilla with no mods. I’m not opposed to using them, just uncharted territory for me on 7D2D. If the server requires mods, is it always clear and noted?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

My 2 cents, stay away from MP servers and just quit the game if you are bored with SP. Every update continues to break MP, and it's so buggy and glitchy now that it's frustrating to play. It was in a good spot a couple Alphas ago (around A16) but the direction they went with it didn't help MP...mainly due to optimization. There are holes all over the map due to the buried treasures, vehicles dupe randomly and fill up the map teleporting your own vehicles where you can't find them, and teleporting others' vehicles next to your base. This game made a hard turn away from MP and doesn't seem to be going back. The devs seem to think that focusing on perks is the way to go forward and not fixing major bugs. Sure they fix little things but not the big ones and even create more for MP.

Ignore the troll above. Best way to find a server you like it to log in and try a few. When you play isn't really an issue on a server unless of course you are playing a Coop game, then your mates may wonder where you are. :p Just be aware that you may log in and find yourself on a horde night when you didn't expect it. On mode as a general rule it will be noted if the server requires a mod to join.

Thus far, I’ve only played single player, and have never joined a MP server. I’m interested in giving it a shot, but I’m not sure where to start.

Part of my hold up is that I play somewhat inconsistently. Monday through Friday is limited to evenings only, and it’s not uncommon for me to go days without playing. Weekends are hit or miss. Some weekends I’ll game for many hours each day, while others I won’t have time at all.

Does that type of inconsistent play work for MP servers? If so, it leads me to my next questions...

How do you pick a server with so many out there? Is it trial and error? I’m only interested in PVE, and know how to find that, but how do I know if they are welcoming to randoms joining?

Then come mods. I play vanilla with no mods. I’m not opposed to using them, just uncharted territory for me on 7D2D. If the server requires mods, is it always clear and noted?

First and foremost i would suggest thinking of your play style and your likes and needs.

Ie: do you want vanilla or mods. What type of mods or what type of vanilla. Rp pvp pve elements also come inti it

Then search thru the servers and find one that suits and meets your needs.

Maybe even start your own if you have friend's who play also. There are a metric tonne of servers out there each with their unique play styles etc.

If unsure just join any try it out play it and move on to the next one if that doesnt suit.

Ignore the troll above. Best way to find a server you like it to log in and try a few. When you play isn't really an issue on a server unless of course you are playing a Coop game, then your mates may wonder where you are. :p Just be aware that you may log in and find yourself on a horde night when you didn't expect it. On mode as a general rule it will be noted if the server requires a mod to join.

I wouldn't say troll i would say thats their opinion and views and their right to voice it. What they say isnt exactly wrong either in their experience. You also have server managers that are tyrants/dictators others that are chill to.

In my experience - and I have played on dozens of different servers - servers that are not password protected are very welcoming of new players. And mostly, you can be as involved as you want to, play solo, build near others and interact occasionally, or join a group and coop all the way. Total coop obviously needs a bit of warming up, so don't join and ask whom you can move in with.

Inconsistency doesn't seem to be a problem, unless you made plans with others, why would they care if you only play occasionally.

Now don't get me wrong...I pop in and check things out every once in a while on MP servers to see if it's more playable at updates. There are a couple of server moderators who do their best to try and minimize issues, usually through heavy modding and spending a lot of cash to get a good server. The problem is that there aren't enough of them. I only play PvP servers at this point because as an experienced player...zeds are laughably easy, even on insane mode. Other players are infinitely more challenging. Think of it as a PvE server with more challenging zeds. I, too, much prefer playing with friends, but sadly the state of the game has driven nearly all of them away. I used to play much more PvE when my wife played with me, but she left because of the bugs...the stutters, duping, , other players spawning on our bedrolls and wrecking the base, us spawning on others' bedrolls all the way across the map, holes in the ground she kept falling into and several other issues that made the QoL just not worth it. I'm pretty passionate about the devs working on MP and PvP because of the huge potential this game has, but also disappointed in the lack of meaningful improvements towards it. It's a good game, and a good idea...but poorly implemented.

And look, I've got over 2.5k hours in, but not many since the beginning of A17. I feel I'm honest in my assessment and I'll give props when they are due, and I don't feel any props are due at this point in time. Two steps forward and three steps back.

I tried my first MP server last night, which was on day 102 when I logged in. I spawned in the snow biome, which is no problem. But around me were many air drops that nobody had grabbed. I grabbed a handful of them on my way south to the forest. This gave me a huge starting boost, more than I’ve ever had in any SP game.

When I went into the first house to loot, I was shocked to find two radiated zombies on the 2nd floor. I was still level 1, GS 3. This was surprising to find.

The second thing that really helped boost me was a farm house with partially looted boxes. Someone picked out what they wanted and left behind some steel armor pieces, steel sledgehammer, an SMG, a couple steel tools, some end game mods, etc. The loot was scaled to their level, but for a level 1 person like me, that stuff was a huge find.

Thanks for the input thus far! I’ll keep giving MP a shot to see it goes.

Welcome to MP!

In reality, PVE MP isn't so much different to SP, except for on busier servers you could end up running into other players and their bases, joining up for co-op, trading etc. It's a lot more fun than SP knowing others are around, especially joining up with someone on a bloodmoon and battling the hordes at someone's base.

Inconsistent playtime isn't an issue. I could play for like a whole weekend, then not come back for two weeks later, and my base and items are just as I left them. Most of the time unless there's been a new update then you won't generally come across many server wipes so your base and everything should still be just as you left it.

Picking a server - yeh pretty much trial and error, or check out the forums here for threads on people advertising their server. You can get a feel for how they are and the admin pretty quickly.

As for mods, this really goes hand in hand in with the above. If the server has any mods, they should state it in their server forum thread or discord / website. Most of the popular server mods will just be small quality of life improvements that aren't overly noticeable when you first join the server.

I've been playing on the same server for the last 18 months now and it's really friendly and great chat on Discord. This is the one if you were looking for another server to play on.

Archived