Not very dangerous

Hattrix

Crank up the difficulty and crank up the number of zombies. It's not just enough to make them bullet sponges - make them run all the time. Make them go through walls faster. Go into the data if your computer can handle it, and make bigger numbers - or use a modlet to make more. Make your days shorter and your nights longer. There are a lot of settings you can flip around that can make it legitimately more difficult.

While you are correct you are just turning the z's into bullet sponges. Difficulty =/= enjoyment.

That is true but I thought it would maybe the right answer to the question of the OP. At higher difficulty levels the zombies not only can take more but also hit harder.

Someone who emphasizes that he has the shotgun at maximum and a Q6 armor, will probably see a challenge in the fact that he not only needs more shots to kill a zombie but also that a single zombie can kill him. I think he misses the danger.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these bullet sponges either. But I'm generally not someone who enjoys killing zombies. Building and mining is much more my thing.

In my opinion, there has to be a point where you're so beefed up that you can easily take on most dangers in a world. I can compare that to playing Dying Light, where at the beginning i was running from everything at night like a little child, but near the end i slapped almost everything i came across, even at night (yet still mistakes cost me death, so it's not like i was invincible).

That's the feeling that needs to be enhanced in my opinion. A few of the games in 7DTD i played had that feeling, especially in A15/16 where i went down the knife road (the glory of beheading every zombie around me with a machete during horde night...).

In A18 i have a similar (yet smaller still) feel in regular combat and exploration, where i can stealthily take a few sleepers with my Comp.Bow and sometimes Machete, yet greenies and Horde Night are still something to be wary of. I'm still in the process of maxing my equipment to the highest level, as well as my perks (AGI 8/10 and battle skills at 4/5), not to mention gathering more books to have more in-fight bonuses. Nonetheless, i think i can stand my ground pretty well for the time being and the game can be hard if it wants to be.

While you are correct you are just turning the z's into bullet sponges. Difficulty =/= enjoyment.

No. Gamestage also scales the number of zombies, and increasing difficulty will increase GS. Unless you are playing on Insane, you have no business coming to the forum and saying "where's the challenge?". (I don't mean you personally, I mean the royal "you").

p.s. If you are already playing on Insane, the next step is to mod some xml files. I can help you with this as I have been there too.

- - - Updated - - -

II LOVE maxing shotgun, so once I did that I could pretty much handle any building. Now that I have all lvl 6 gear, where's the challenge?

Hint: Insane level zombies at high GS do not give a crap about your maxed shotgun and tier 6 items.

Crank it to insane. umm... Did that at level 120 and the punchypunch not so easy to pop heads anymore.

Lotsa bullets needed for the M60.

yet the darttraps did just fine for the day 84 horde.

(yes, they ran out the first 2 levels of traps, but there were still 13 more to go)

60 traps, zeds at 64.

Lower levels, yes, once you get maxed, they do get easy for a while.

Green ones you get more of, and of course, the stupid cops show up in POI.

Gotta waste them fast, or you get holes in said POI, and losted loots. BadThing

;)

Ive been playing for 4 years and I never reached above level 50. Just start a new game.

This is an option, but the early game can be a grind that even seasoned players get tired of. Hitting the same tree for 3.5 minutes gets old. Not saying it's a bad idea to start a new game, just that not everyone wants to do that all that often.

The problem is still balancing. Roaming hordes are inconsistent. My early game RHs were larger than they are now on day 94, all because there's a single cop with them. Two head-shots from a level 5 SMG with all mod slots full, and the cop is down. The RHs need to be large. Early game, this would offer a decision: avoid them and not risk death or risk biting off more than you can chew. Horde nights are better at least, but there needs to be more zombies in the world, not just sleepers, and roaming hordes need to actually be a threat. Right now they are just walking XP.

So, am I correct that server level 5 is Insane level and other than setting the zombies to sprint at all times, there's no more "upping" the difficulty?

You can decrease loot to 25%.

You can increase zombie block damage to 300%.

You can disable supply drops.

You can increase zombie speed at all times to nightmare which is one above sprint.

You can set death penalty to destroy all on death.

You can reduce the number of hours of daylight making night time longer and turn the gamma down so that you can only see well when using a light.

You can decrease loot to 25%.

You can increase zombie block damage to 300%.

You can disable supply drops.

You can increase zombie speed at all times to nightmare which is one above sprint.

You can set death penalty to destroy all on death.

You can reduce the number of hours of daylight making night time longer and turn the gamma down so that you can only see well when using a light.

There are also mods out there for the super hardcore. I'd suggest ravenhearst. It's a great mod for the hardcore.

So, am I correct that server level 5 is Insane level and other than setting the zombies to sprint at all times, there's no more "upping" the difficulty?

Nope, not correct. Even without mods, difficulty can be increased by everything Roland said and also a few he missed:

Blood moon frequency can be increased and/or made random.

Turn off loot respawn

Day (24-hour cycle) length can be reduced.

Zombie maxAlive setting can be increased.

That last one....maxAlive. That's the one to look at first. It defaults to 8!! This means that only 8 zombies per player can be spawned on the server at any one time. This is of course for performance, and not gameplay reasons. maxAlive 8 is totally useless and makes the game super trivial and zero challenge no matter what difficulty or other settings you apply.

Regarding the maxAlive setting: 120 still gives you empty towns and cities. Yesterday i went trough half the city, wich is really big, before i saw the first zombie outside a POI. And inside a POI this setting doesn´t seem to do anything, no matter how high or low you put it, the amount seems always the same in a POI. So yeah, it´s basically just for screamer hordes.

Find the file spawning.xml

It has an entry for each biome, that looks roughly like this...

<biome name="pine_forest">

<spawn maxcount="15" respawndelay="0.05" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="0.05" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="14" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="21" time="Any" entitygroup="FriendlyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

</biome>

This example is the pine forest. Notice this is the file AFTER I've edited it. Your numbers for maxcount and respawndelay will be small and pathetic by default (or large in the case of respawndelay). I recommend the numbers as I have them above. I've underlined all the numbers I've changed. Set this for every biome as you see fit. BAM! Game is now much better.

However there is another number you need to change and I've forgotten where it is. Hopefully someone knows...it is the numbre that determines the zombie detection range - the distance over which they can detect the player. No point in adding all those zombies if they stand around like idiots in the distance. With their detection set to 300, they will be homing in on you all the time wherever you go. LOTS of them. :)

Find the file spawning.xml

It has an entry for each biome, that looks roughly like this...

<biome name="pine_forest">

<spawn maxcount="15" respawndelay="0.05" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />

<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="0.05" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="14" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

<spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="21" time="Any" entitygroup="FriendlyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />

</biome>

This example is the pine forest. Notice this is the file AFTER I've edited it. Your numbers for maxcount and respawndelay will be small and pathetic by default (or large in the case of respawndelay). I recommend the numbers as I have them above. I've underlined all the numbers I've changed. Set this for every biome as you see fit. BAM! Game is now much better.

However there is another number you need to change and I've forgotten where it is. Hopefully someone knows...it is the numbre that determines the zombie detection range - the distance over which they can detect the player. No point in adding all those zombies if they stand around like idiots in the distance. With their detection set to 300, they will be homing in on you all the time wherever you go. LOTS of them. :)

It really is heartwarming to see you advocating for these edits so strongly now. ;)

Reminds me of a recent moment, when i driven by two lumberjacks and stopped to dig up a buried treasure (from a map). Surprisingly they didn't notice me, nor went after me, even though they were wandering around something like 10-20 m away (i could easily hit their heads with a gun). I had dug up the chest and they still didn't see me... Had to arrange a meeting between them and my machete...

I think The Dying Lands mod in A16 had that epic detection range for zombies? One of my most fun playthroughs :)

Archived