Club swing mechanic alpha 18

ungkor

The club swing mechanic in alpha 18 really makes me dislike the game overall.

1. The club blocks your line of sight. You can't see where you are hitting, and it is hard to gauge your distance. It is also hard to tell if you are hitting the shoulder vs the head. Especially when you are fighting multiple mobs on uneven terrain, stairs, etc. You are constantly changing distance and elevation, and receiving no visual feedback about where your strikes are landing.

2. Not seeing the hit land, ruins immersion and game fun. I like seeing the club land and the zombie react. The blood splat, and the reaction of the zombie. Having the club take up almost your entire field of vision of the zed is annoying and unrealistic.

I really don't care if it is more realistic to see a weapon not follow through and instead stop on impact. I'd much rather see the swing follow through and get out of way, so you can both see the impact, as well as better determine your next strike based on the impact distance.

Has there been any indication that this will change in the future?

I have a problem with the lack of follow through on strikes, it looks like the animation stops in mid air like the animation is being held back, instead of a kinetic follow through like the attack has weight and power. Whether it does 1 damage or a million, the animation swings like it's holding a newspaper trying to playfully smack a friend than something that will kill a zombie.

You talking about melee, but i run with a pistol for emergency situations in POI. Had a few moments when a Z run too close towards me (backed against a wall or whatever), with his form transparent in some places (body going through the camera?). I quite often miss those point blank shots. I see where i aim (head or torso) even when i'm 95% sure i hit, it doesn't do anything (even on regulars). With that i mean both a bloody splat and zombie grunt of being hit (not to mention a stagger, beheading or stunning them). Wasted some ammo like that...

Not to mention my machete sometimes also doesn't hit...

Yeah, minimum range is a thing.. I've been playing a "64-up horde every night with jogging zeds, no base" - plenty of cannonfodder, can't keep up with the spawn rate, so effectively kiting a blob of zeds slowly around while swinging a machete at them as fast as Flurry of Blows allows.

With that, it starts to be a pretty common feature to be hitting the second zombie instead of the one between us.. not that bad for that use case, you at least hit something, but when you get cornered by effectively an invincible zed and just hit the wall behind, that gets annoying quick.

Melee in the game is just about as bad as it's ever been. Baseball bat is slightly better than Club but you still miss attacks that should be very blatant hits.

OK, thanks (everyone). I'm glad other people think the same thing. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134004-Melee-is-it-me-or-is-the-new-mechanic-hot-garbage&highlight=melee

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?134030-Do-zombies-have-i-frames-now&highlight=melee

the min range thing is one of the bigger issues, yes..

you don't even have to melee to verify it, happens often enough with regular blocks when you are standing close. you hit the block behind the targeted block quite often with an axe eg.

but we also have some general hit detection issues, especially when z come fast towards you and "climb" over tables, when they are in such motions you often even can shoot right through them.

but we will get junk drones and sledge turrets soon, no worries.

Melee in the game is just about as bad as it's ever been. Baseball bat is slightly better than Club but you still miss attacks that should be very blatant hits.

This is my biggest annoyance as well. Missing shots we should have hit is not game difficulty, its cheating lol

Sneak up on sleeper...raise club to crush its head...zombie wakes up and instantly pivots 90 degrees milliseconds before your blow lands.

-Morloc

I think this is the result of checking constantly for sounds and movement. In my opinion a sleeper should awaken only when:

1. You shine a bright light on him (allow using various flashlights with lesser light and visibility, but smaller chance to awaken or use torches)

2. You generate a sound. This is only when:

- Player walks (no generation if he stands still or changes from crouched to normal)

- Player opens any containers (works so far)

- Player hits something with melee (depending on material a sound is generated, i think works so far), but if he swings the air it doesn't do anything (i doubt THIS works)

- Shoots with a bow (generates low sounds at low range, but still)

- Shoots with any gun (even silenced, but lower range and lower sound)

Now, you could stand still and simply wait (for stamina or whatever), but a zombie could suddenly awaken.

Archived