Specific item parts should be removed

Buttson

First off, not trying to hate on the game, been LOVING A18 so far. Just have this one complaint...

I perked into Advanced Engineering so I can make myself an auger, only to find you need 5 'motor tool parts' which can only be found by scrapping chainsaws/augers, or trader ofc. Same goes for steel tool parts, I need to find & scrap a bunch of steel tools before I can even think of making one myself.

It makes sense for guns imo, but not things like simple steel tools or motor tools

Just think it sucks that players are gated off from items by something like this, thoughts?

They let us fully craft Tier 1 and Tier 2 tools just from our knowledge and harvestable materials. Tier 3 tools are the only ones that have parts that must be found. It doesn't really bother me, personally, since Tier 2 tools are definitely adequate to the task.

However, the issue I have is that you usually find a better version than you can craft long before you can craft it. It would be nice if all scavenged tier 3 tools were all brown quality so you could use those for parts and still have a reason to craft a better quality one.

My biggest issue with the tool parts is, that I hardly ever had a reason to actually use them in my two A18 playthroughs. :friendly_wink:

I always ended up with half a chest of all these parts - kept them just in case I might need them. The quality and quantity of looted items however was almost always ahead of what I could actually craft.

The only case where I actually had to use them, was when RNG refused to bless me with an auger but granted me several chainsaws. So after investing in the required perks, I finally scrapped all but one chainsaw and built my auger.

Although, I have to say, that I was actually quite okay with having to mine with a pickaxe for the first weeks - so in this case I found the delay through 'gating' to be fitting for overall progression.

I also dislike the parts. IMO, it’s an unnecessary grind hurdle. If I can make steel, and I’m an expert craftsmen, it seems odd that I also need specific parts to make an auger, for example. And it really doesn’t make sense to deconstruct a chainsaw to get the parts for an auger. That’s what I’m trying to do, but if we’re going the path of logic, it doesn’t seem to fit. The only common part between the two is an engine, which you have to loot and provide. I can’t think of any other part of a chainsaw that could be used in an auger.

I think they either need to make parts required for all tier levels, or none. If required for all, reduce the quantity needed on lower tiers, and increase their drop rate a bit.

This would just bring the same complaints about Tier 3 down to tiers 1 and 2. I think it is fine for the highest tier to require unique uncraftable parts as long as those parts are reasonably available to find AND scavenged t3 tools are all low quality except in the rarest cases.

This would just bring the same complaints about Tier 3 down to tiers 1 and 2. I think it is fine for the highest tier to require unique uncraftable parts as long as those parts are reasonably available to find AND scavenged t3 tools are all low quality except in the rarest cases.

Disagree

I I can’t think of any other part of a chainsaw that could be used in an auger.

fuel tank

throttle

fuel lines

air filter

fuel filter

bearings

handle

kill switch

spark plug

primer bulb

warranty lol

and after thinking about it on the way home...

hose clips

pull cord

dynamo (is that the thing that makes electrickery for the spark plug?)

carburetor

shear pin

fuel tank

throttle

fuel lines

air filter

fuel filter

bearings

handle

kill switch

spark plug

primer bulb

warranty lol

For the sake of this game, I consider those mostly “part of the engine”, since that detail doesn’t exist for anything else in the game. Vehicles, for example, have none of those details, nor require special vehicle parts. I would like to see more consistency in how the details are used. Either all or none.

Hey, if you want a Terraria/Empyrion amount of things to gather and craft then surely this is the way the game should go.

I am pretty much used to crafting most of the things, but i understand that some things should not be craftable (although it brings a lot more freedom). I think Calamity Mod for Terraria has done it pretty well, allowing the players to craft really hard to obtain accessories (which you would require quite some time to obtain), especially as those are ingredients to crafting further items. BUT! Calamity also introduces a lot of other content, making the opposite of allowing the player to "gather everything faster" (in progression means).

Empyrion on the other hand is somewhere in between, where you have A LOT of resources and items that you can gather and craft (where most of these are middle point items you need for medium and higher tier items). Also, Empyrion has different crafting, where if you want to craft some device and only have the basic components, the constructor first crafts all of the middle components, which are required to craft the item in the end (sometimes leaving behind the surplus, because you get a bunch of item X in crafting it). This brings theoretically a lot on the player to gather, but on the other hand it's way easier to get the best things (even if you don't have the required resource on your planet).

As much as i like the freedom to craft everything, it would have to be balanced with A LOT MORE CONTENT or simply harder access to components for crafting said parts. 7DTD sadly doesn't have any mechanic to differentiate regions with varying difficulty along with different resource tiers (tougher areas have higher tier resources). If you start finding some loot, you simply start finding it.

My idea:

Create a new type of workstation, which would manufacture all of the parts for the tools, armor and weapons. I could call it a very advanced fabrication machine for various goals. Specifications below:

1. This workstation would require high end resources (i know they are still easily obtainable in small amounts, so it would need A LOT), meaning it would be a more mid- to end-game station. Perhaps it could require power to work.

2. The size would have to be huge, at least 3x3x3 so that you can't easily put 5 in your base (just like you can put up 15 forges, 15 cement mixers, etc.).

3. Firstly you would have to change the machine to a specific setting - to produce a specific part and only one type could be crafted at a time. This change would require a set of time for the machine to change its specification. This is a purely gameplay mechanic so you cannot just produce the parts left and right as you see fit. (THIS POINT IS DEBATABLE)

4. As an advanced machine, it would require big amounts of materials to craft any single part from various tiers. Take into account Mechanical Parts, Cloth, Oil, Iron, Forged Iron, Forged Steel (in small amounts), Military Fiber, Paper, Leather and some others.

5. Each PART would require a different set of materials (presented in a list) and it would have up to 10 slots where you put in the materials. As long as the machine is turned on and there are materials, it would "craft" automatically the specific PART it is turned onto.

Comments below on the idea.

Nothing wrong with your idea Khulkhuum but I just see it as something different than what already exists, not really an improvement. Don't see a benefit to changing it up at this point.

I don't love the system we have now but don't really hate it either. Like another poster said it just seems annoying because it is the obstacle in front of you. If it was gone it would be the next obstacle that bothers you.

However, the issue I have is that you usually find a better version than you can craft long before you can craft it. It would be nice if all scavenged tier 3 tools were all brown quality so you could use those for parts and still have a reason to craft a better quality one.

Yes. And quality 6 should be crafting only, not loot only. Loot/buy up to quality 5 (Q1 for tier 3), but the very choicest gear is lovingly hand-crafted. Yes, I'm an INT/engineering build and do the crafting for my team why do you ask?

Archived