Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New forum design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    The colors of the forum or the design do not bother me. My disturb is that forum pages now load from 25 to 60 seconds (((

    P.S. Now page load speed normal, thanks!
    Last edited by Orsey; 02-25-2020, 08:44 AM.

    Comment


      #77
      How do yo u "Mark All Posts Read" so that they don't come up again in another search for "new posts"?

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by Brains View Post
        We upgraded forums because our previous version was End of Life'd. The old theme wasn't compatible so we were not able to migrate it. We are working on a new theme but in order to get the forums back online we went with a default dark theme for now.
        Ah, that makes more sense. I also look forward to what you come up with. I think the default is a huge step backwards from what you had so it should be interesting.

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by Gazz View Post
          How do yo u "Mark All Posts Read" so that they don't come up again in another search for "new posts"?
          Bottom of the listing page, below the page numbers.

          Screenshot_20200225-080103.png

          Comment


            #80
            Thanks. Now that would be a useful feature to have on the search results page. =P

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by Orsey View Post
              The colors of the forum or the design do not bother me. My disturb is that forum pages now load from 25 to 60 seconds (((

              P.S. Now page load speed normal, thanks!
              Was having the same issue, but it seems fine today.

              Comment


                #82
                I'll never understand why you went to vB5 instead of Xenforo... but,

                The new forums are a much needed upgrade from the old ones, I'm surprised it took this long...

                Anyway, there used to be a crapton of mods for vBulletin (no idea about 5), such as custom forum titles, etc... so you can get back some of the "fun" things that were there before that people are missing. It just depends on how much effort whoever the webmaster is, wants to put into things.

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by Trekkan View Post
                  I'll never understand why you went to vB5 instead of Xenforo... but,

                  The new forums are a much needed upgrade from the old ones, I'm surprised it took this long...

                  Anyway, there used to be a crapton of mods for vBulletin (no idea about 5), such as custom forum titles, etc... so you can get back some of the "fun" things that were there before that people are missing. It just depends on how much effort whoever the webmaster is, wants to put into things.
                  Moving databases from one forum to another is pretty destructive. Upgrading to VB5 would be the smarter choice than transferring to another platform like Xenforo. (Xenforo didn't show up in any of the forum software reviews I read. Consistent top marks went to Vanilla, phpBB, and vBulletin; with regular mentions of Discourse and ZenDesk. So outside of personal experience with it, I'm not sure why you would recommend it.)

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by SylenThunder View Post

                    Moving databases from one forum to another is pretty destructive. Upgrading to VB5 would be the smarter choice than transferring to another platform like Xenforo. (Xenforo didn't show up in any of the forum software reviews I read. Consistent top marks went to Vanilla, phpBB, and vBulletin; with regular mentions of Discourse and ZenDesk. So outside of personal experience with it, I'm not sure why you would recommend it.)
                    I can't argue your personal search criteria, but Xenforo is made up of the original vB devs and is far superior software IMO. There are no "destructive" actions taken as they have full importers, etc, so I'm not sure about it being the "smarter" choice. Easier, maybe. My experience with it and other forum software is having written mods for them since UBB, etc. So I've followed the "scene" for the last 2 decades or so. I'm not even saying vB5 is a bad choice in the sense that its way better (or at least not as jacked up) than the old vB4 you had. I just feel that from what I've seen, used and developed for, Xenforo is superior. Its all about personal preferences and research into the feature sets needed. You have yours and I have mine I guess.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      There apparently are not as many mods for vB5 as there were for vB4. We will see what fun stuff can be added once all the basic functions are fixed and we get our theme back in place.

                      The mobile version of the forums is light years better than it was.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by Trekkan View Post

                        I can't argue your personal search criteria, but Xenforo is made up of the original vB devs and is far superior software IMO. There are no "destructive" actions taken as they have full importers, etc, so I'm not sure about it being the "smarter" choice. Easier, maybe. My experience with it and other forum software is having written mods for them since UBB, etc. So I've followed the "scene" for the last 2 decades or so. I'm not even saying vB5 is a bad choice in the sense that its way better (or at least not as jacked up) than the old vB4 you had. I just feel that from what I've seen, used and developed for, Xenforo is superior. Its all about personal preferences and research into the feature sets needed. You have yours and I have mine I guess.

                        Brains isn’t closed to the idea of switching platforms so thanks for the suggestion. He is monitoring this thread so if he likes the idea and the owners go for it a platform change isn’t impossible. It all comes down to money time and effort after all is said and done. 😀

                        Comment


                        • Brains
                          Brains commented
                          Editing a comment
                          test. can people see this? wtf is the point of a comment??? Isn't that the point of a reply? Come on vB...

                        #87
                        The reason we went with vb5 is we already owned the license. We purchased it back in 2013 maybe? Migrated from phpBB to vb5 which turned into a disaster. We then back ported to vb4 which worked much better. Now that vb4 is EOL we were forced to upgrade to continue receiving updates. vB5 is not as supported by developers as it was back in the day. I'm not opposed to switching but that is a call for rick and joel.

                        Comment


                          #88
                          Originally posted by Brains View Post
                          The reason we went with vb5 is we already owned the license. We purchased it back in 2013 maybe? Migrated from phpBB to vb5 which turned into a disaster. We then back ported to vb4 which worked much better. Now that vb4 is EOL we were forced to upgrade to continue receiving updates. vB5 is not as supported by developers as it was back in the day. I'm not opposed to switching but that is a call for rick and joel.
                          All understandable reasons, and I've been there on some of those conversions, etc. =) All I can say is xF has a crapton of mods, great support, awesome mobile stuff, etc. And, its not expensive. Whatever the case, this is better than before. =)

                          Comment


                            #89
                            New forum is horrible.

                            I hate change.

                            Comment


                              #90
                              Brains It looks like the forum index isn't being updated.

                              I can go to this page: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...-announcements

                              As an example on the A19 thread, it'll show the last post was 21 hours ago (to me), but when I go to the thread, there are actually new posts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X