What do you think the perfect "random horde night" settings are?

Feycat

8 days with an offset of 4 would be a horde night every 8-12 days. You would never see one sooner than 8 days and it would definitely happen by the 12th day after the last one. The next horde night is determined immediately after the current one is over

Oz does yours result in a random chance of a horde every night then? I can't figure out how to make that work so that there's a completely random chance that any night you could have a horde.

Roland: would 4 with an offset of 4 mean we'd have the first one on day 4 and the next one between 1-4 days after that from then on?

Oz does yours result in a random chance of a horde every night then? I can't figure out how to make that work so that there's a completely random chance that any night you could have a horde.

Roland: would 4 with an offset of 4 mean we'd have the first one on day 4 and the next one between 1-4 days after that from then on?

Mine means that after the first 7 days, it could occur anywhere from the following night to 14 days later, and do so without warning. You could reduce the frequency and range concurrently, so, if set at 3 say, you'd get the first 3 days off, then a horde and one every 1 to 6 days thereafter. There's no setting (as I understand it anyway) that would simply roll a dice on every night to decide if a BM horde shows up.

Mine means that after the first 7 days, it could occur anywhere from the following night to 14 days later, and do so without warning. You could reduce the frequency and range concurrently, so, if set at 3 say, you'd get the first 3 days off, then a horde and one every 1 to 6 days thereafter. There's no setting (as I understand it anyway) that would simply roll a dice on every night to decide if a BM horde shows up.

If I set it at 4 with an offset of 4, I *think* it then comes up on day 4 and then on days 5-9? But the question is, will we automatically get one on day 8 regardless, since we have it set to 4? Or do the offset settings overwrite the regular horde night? Like, will it always be offset from 4 onward? We're trying to figure out the closest to random and frequent but not every night that we can find.

It means you would have a horde night randomly occuring on days 4-8. Once a horde night happens the game immediately calculates the next one. So if your horde night came on Day 5 then your next one would be on day 9-13 but if your horde night came on Day 7 then your next horde night would happen sometime between day 11-15. You would always have a four day grace period after a horde night and then four days where it could randomly happen any night-- but it would happen by the last night of your frequency + range for sure if it didn't happen sooner.

Frequency 4 Range 4: One random night 4-8 days from the previous one.

Frequency 1 Range 10: One random night 1-11 days from the previous one.

Frequency 10 Range 0: Every 10 days like clockwork.

Frequency 10 Range 1: Every 10-11 days from the previous one.

Frequency 1 Range 0: Every night!

Hope those examples help. The important thing to remember is that the next one freshly calculates right after the current one ends.

Well I hope Oz and Roland see this....

So we have ours set on 4 and 4 and now it's day 5 and we didn't even have a horde. I'm so confused.

Is it maybe that day 4 is the first *possible* day and now sometime in the next 4 we'll have our first one?

Well I hope Oz and Roland see this....

So we have ours set on 4 and 4 and now it's day 5 and we didn't even have a horde. I'm so confused.

Is it maybe that day 4 is the first *possible* day and now sometime in the next 4 we'll have our first one?

Yes, it's 4-8.

I usually set the frequency to 3 and the range to 10 for a more randomized experience. No warning definitely. Best options that were ever added in the game.

This exactly. It is not a guaranteed on day 4 and then another random one during the next 4 days. It is one random horde night between nights 4-8. I agree with Rest that it is critical to remove the warning. Hearing the thunder at about 6pm is awesome when you didn't know that day was THE day. It also provides a nice feeling of progressive impending doom because you know that the bloodmoon chance is increasing each day after grace period is over.

Archived