Some feedback

Mephistopheles

Quit playing when a18 dropped and performance was terrible. Came back a couple days ago after hearing performance had been improved. Here's my initial thoughts.

1. Performance is better, my FPS is roughly doubled and it's now playable again. Thanks for that, it's just a shame it took so long.

2. The gating of absolutely everything behind schematics is so overdone that it makes the game itself look so tedious that I can't foresee playing it anymore without modding out all the stupid requirements. It'd be different if books were easier to find, but in my first 3 generated maps, book stores are nowhere to be found. I liked the level of book gating that A16 had, this is just ridiculous though.

3. The RNG worlds are still pretty bad IMO. I'm not seeing the extremely broken aspects that plagued A17 and early A18, but the landscape is mostly desert and not very captivating. The roads often make no sense, and the lack of large cities and hubs only provides for sparse old west buildings every couple KM or so, and none of them have particularly helpful loot (ie books).

4. I understand that TFP want to slow things way down because of the lack of content, but the gating is just a painful slap in the face that just screams "We don't want you to be able to craft anything at all until you have walked 20km and finally found a book store."

I'm probably going to mod the hell out of this alpha and give it another go, but I can't honestly say that restoring some of the mechanics and gating will give me any more enthusiasm about exploring a new alpha, because it's just not much to look at. It's not giving me any sense of new wonderment about a new environment, and I'm not seeing any POI's or content that I haven't already become too familiar with. That's just my feedback after coming back from several months of not playing. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also: I recommend showing at least 25 threads on the forum pages, instead of just 10.

EDIT: Also, Also, this site is slow af. I'm talking like 90 seconds for each page load. Reminds me of my days of 28k dialup.

Hi Meph...thanks for your feedback. Glad the game is faster for you and sorry the forums are slower. I feel there is much less gating than there was in A16 and A17. Do you think there is more or just that there is less but still too much?

Feels like a LOT more gating than A16. And it's even a lot more gated compared to A17 when you look at things like farming. In the past, in my first week I could have a forge crafting steel, and I'd have a small farm already set up growing crops. Now, it takes WAY too many skill points just to be able to make a seed. And the gating of skills behind all of the stupid required Attribute Levels just makes it even worse. Not enough skill points are given. XP gimped all to hell. Melee combat is different and inconsistent as far as attack/reach distances. Nearly the entire map has no actual big roads, no large cities, no logical layout. It's just a vast desert with lots of desert mountains blocking the path to everywhere you look. Overall, A16 was amazing and I just feel like it has gotten progressively worse since then. It's ok, I still have hope for Mist: Survival, but the development is slow. I'll mod 7d2d heavily and give it a proper go with how I feel the game should be, but it just seems to have lost a LOT of its redeeming qualities. I mean even things like cutting out all the good biomes and making everything just snow/desert/forest and nothing else. I just feel like the more I talk it about it right now the less chance I have of playing it anymore. So I'll just stop here and mod it and give it another chance sometime.

I see. I guess I was referring to the actual gates that prevented you from doing things until you were a particular level-- like the forge. Now you can spend a point and build a forge a lot earlier than A16 or if you get lucky and find a schematic you can build it even without spending a point. But I can see how the economy of skillpoints acts effectively like a gate even if the old gates are gone now. Glad you have the skills to mod it how you like.

I see. I guess I was referring to the actual gates that prevented you from doing things until you were a particular level-- like the forge. Now you can spend a point and build a forge a lot earlier than A16 or if you get lucky and find a schematic you can build it even without spending a point. But I can see how the economy of skillpoints acts effectively like a gate even if the old gates are gone now. Glad you have the skills to mod it how you like.

But then you can't actually do anything on that forge that requires an anvil because apparently you need a schematic to make an anvil, and that might require walking 20km and finding a book store that has that schematic. I can't even see a skill I can invest points in to be able to make or use an anvil, so even just an anvil is gated by RNG books now?

And that's not even getting into the whole new level of gating with specific "PARTS". No longer can you gather up duct tape forged w/e, mech parts, etc... and build everything you used to be able to craft. Now, if you want a crossbow, you have to walk 100km and find some "Crossbow/Bow Parts". Want a rifle but you've only found pistol parts? You're screwed until you find rifle parts. Want to craft some steel armor with that forged steel you've always been able to use? Nope, you need "Steel Armor Parts" Everything has its own specific set of parts, so just more gating and RNG than any game ever deserves to have thrown in just for the sake of artificial slowing of progression.

I also hate that Trader Jen's voice changed. I used to fantasize about her being the most hardcore dom that would bend me over and rape me with a strap on if I ever crossed her or looked at her funny. Now, without that kinky element of danger when entering her shop, it's just not the same. I miss how her gruff baritone would make my nipples hard. No homo.

Why so intent on bookstores?

There's books to be had all over the place in A18, and while I've also yet to find an actual book store in my current game, the books from the usual suspect locations (bookshelves mainly) combined with some from the traders have giving me almost every book possible so far and it's still pretty early in my game.

Why so intent on bookstores?

There's books to be had all over the place in A18, and while I've also yet to find an actual book store in my current game, the books from the usual suspect locations (bookshelves mainly) combined with some from the traders have giving me almost every book possible so far and it's still pretty early in my game.

Because of the first 20 or so shops I entered that had maybe one bookshelf in it, 18 were empty and the books the 2 gave me were those worthless books like 10% more damages to coyotes and fire based weapons burn 10% longer.

Yet another new gate to farming. Before, you could till any block of dirt and plant a seed. Now, just to plant a piece of corn or potato, you have to spec 5 points into fortitude and 3 pts into Living off the land, but you still can't plant crops like before. Each individual plant now requires a fn "Farm Plot" which requires 4 wood, 7 rotting flesh, 17 nitrate powder, and 70 clay? This has to be a joke.

Yet another new gate to farming. Before, you could till any block of dirt and plant a seed. Now, just to plant a piece of corn or potato, you have to spec 5 points into fortitude and 3 pts into Living off the land, but you still can't plant crops like before. Each individual plant now requires a fn "Farm Plot" which requires 4 wood, 7 rotting flesh, 17 nitrate powder, and 70 clay? This has to be a joke.

Not as joke - in fact, I think Farming in A18 is the best, or at least, the least game breaking, it's ever been. You can still reach a point where a farm will supply an endless amount of free food, completely circumventing the hunger system, but it will take a lot longer now which is good.

I's also say the book system is the best its ever been now too, since there's a tonne of books to collect, over time, and they do eventually make a big difference, but nor do they immediately overpower the player either.

hmmmm...I don't really think of crafting something to get what you want as a gate. That is more like playing the game. If having to craft a block to farm is an unwanted "gate" then what about having to craft a club to unlock melee or having to craft armor to unlock protection. If the game literally stopped you from being able to farm period until you were level 10 then THAT is what I would call a gate and there is much less of that sort of thing than there used to be. I mean with your definition, farming used to be "gated" by either finding or crafting a hoe and since crafting a hoe required a forge with an anvil that was also quite a bit of your type of gating stopping you from farming.

I agree with you that being able to till any surface soil was much more natural feeling than having to make planters. For roof top farming the planters do feel a lot better than having the weird diamond shapped terrain blocks but for making a field of crops normal tilled soil looks and feels better. But as Oz pointed out it made having large fields of crops much more easily possible which made the game too easy and also hurt performance.

I'm not sure what you meant about having to spend 8 points to begin farming. I've made a farm plot and planted a found seed in it and grown it to maturity without spending a single point before. Am I misremembering? It has been a while since I farmed.

hmmmm...I don't really think of crafting something to get what you want as a gate. That is more like playing the game. If having to craft a block to farm is an unwanted "gate" then what about having to craft a club to unlock melee or having to craft armor to unlock protection.
I guess the difference is that it's so obviously a gate that you have to craft these plots now. Just like having to unlock a "recipe" to be able to take seeds from a plant. Devs were obviously unhappy that farming was so easy, so they came up with this idea. Giant forest all around you, with all kinds of stuff obviously growing, but you have to make an effort to plant something. Very gamey.

Archived