sg optionsfieldofviewnew 100 no longer works. How to change FOV beyond 85 slider cap?

Mephistopheles

I see they finally added a FOV that people have been asking for for years. One problem, it's capped at 85 which makes me ill. And the fov console command no longer works. It was a pain in the ass because you had to activate it every time you played, but at least it was a work-around. So is there a new console command for the FOV?

Nope, they finally add the slider back and it's capped at 85. Don't know why they would do that, but they did. The command as far as I know doesn't do anything anymore, which sucks. Sometimes the Fun Pimps use gorilla logic when they do something. No rhyme nor reason.

I think the command still works, it's just held to the same constraints as the slider.

The theory is that this was done to a. stabilize performance for bug reports, and b. to curb the ability to look through the underground to some extent.

Well, a lot of us just play single player and have no worries about some cheater looking underground. Can we at least enable a wider FOV in single player and just disable it in server configs and client configs when connected to a server? Or, you know, maybe just enable it regardless of SP or MP and let admins get rid of cheaters like they always have? That way you're not making a lot of people stop playing because the FOV setting literally makes them queasy?

I think the command still works, it's just held to the same constraints as the slider.

The theory is that this was done to a. stabilize performance for bug reports, and b. to curb the ability to look through the underground to some extent.

The command does not work at all. I tried using it to lower the FOV to 40 or 50, but nothing ever happens. Also, I debunked your statement about FOV cap limiting cheating and seeing underground. See the video in this thread

• 1 month later...

Personally I hated the decision to remove FOV console command, I always played mine on 90, and anything else made it feel as though I was crawling around pushing a peanut with my nose.

I did discover (and also reported) a bug which arose when changing FOV.

There are occasions when you see a zombie semi-behind an obstacle (most notably obstacles in POI's such as furniture, washing machine etc) when you then target in on them using sight/scope, they disappear and the object suddenly appears in between you and them, completely removing your ability to take a clean shot.

I was able to reproduce this a number of times and it was 100% definitely the FOV that was the culprit.

I guess they just decided to standardize it to level the playing field and give themselves (and players) a boundary.

85 FOV slider is better than nothing I guess, and def better than having to go into the console every time you play.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks that's very useful.  So my post still stands. Had to go back to A17 for anyone else having issues. Guess we're not allowed to change the FOV outside of the stupidly low even though I've *never* played a multiplayer game. It's starting to look like 7 days has run its course.

Edited by robm (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

So, "help" in the console does show that there is a "fov" option:

image.png.a434655469a87486940f6334dc76ca39.png

But using it in the console for a larger value doesn't do anything. You can make the fov smaller, such as "fov 60" and you can make it bigger up to the slider's max of 85: "fov 85". if you try a value larger than 85, it sets the ceiling at 85. 

Maybe the developers locked the max to 85.0f. Maybe there is a way to adjust the fov via a mod?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Ianua said:

I'm ready to play again but the 85 FOV cap is still making me sick.  Is there a mod that has the option to change it to 95 or something?

This is the closest I could find. Not certain if it will exceed the cap though, or even work how you want.

https://7daystodiemods.com/weapon-hands-fov-camera-distance-changer/

Darkness Falls allows a wider FoV up to 150, but it looks like ass.

spacer.png

Which explains exactly why the developer would lock your options down here while trying to get valid bug reports.

I mean, all I did was swing my fist, and the view changed from the above to this....
spacer.png

That's a pretty significant change without actually moving the character.

So I thought to myself, "Who in the world would want this?"

So, I spanned my display to cover two monitors. (Would have done three, but working from home is using the left one now.)

938ab1be88f511b36031595850ed510d.jpg

So, I can see the use case for it, but that's a one-off. 

And again.... All three shots are taken standing in the same spot with the FOV fixed at 150.

EDIT:  Further testing..

Normal Resolution at game max FoV of 85
spacer.png

Normal resolution at FoV set to 100. (subject of this thread)

c8dccb1db2d08b332f333af92ce6be81.jpg

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

I'm really glad that the slider for FOV is available in 7DTD. I would not be able to play at FOV 50 at least in 1080p since I'm playing some of the titles with FOV around 85. Actually, is it possible to have FOV up to 105? I think that having FOV up to 105 is pretty reasonable by recent standards. Many games support Field of View up to even 120 or 130. Is it possible to set desirable FOV in the game console? Do we have the option to lock the FPS from the console, if yes what`s the command? Could You guys add more options when it comes to locking frames in-game menu as well except for 60 frames, like native monitor refresh rate also just to save up on power consumption (ahh yeah v-sync so it`s present in the game)? So the people could lock framerate at 30, 50, 60, 75, 100, 120, 144, 165, 200. That would help some of the players to get more stable frame times or save on components/power consumption etc. Some of the players suffer from motion sickness when the screen stutters, suddenly tears because framerate suddenly changes, or because the FOV is too low or too huge in some instances.

3 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Do we have the option to lock the FPS from the console, if yes what`s the command?

yes, settargetfps 😀

for example, 'settargetfps 60' locks the framerate at 60 fps, 'settargetfps 75' at 75 fps and 'settargetfps 0' releases the lock again (no limit).

Edited by q123 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, q123 said:

yes, settargetfps 😀

for example, 'settargetfps 60' locks the framerate at 60 fps, 'settargetfps 75' at 75 fps and 'settargetfps 0' releases the lock again (no limit).

Thank You mate.

I have no in mind general optimization of the 7DTD or any other game in particular - just a disclaimer. Sometimes I look at the sky with 500 frames at the same time and just by changing the scenery my screen goes wild (looking at explosions for example or collapsing buildings). What happens feels like pressing an emergency break in a car on a decent mid-range PC. On my older PC, the screen just stops responding 😉 usually... I realize that the owners of 8-year-old components derive enough satisfaction from the obvious fact that the game launches 😃 and runs at 30 frames on average, and truly I`m happy for them also because I used to be one of the sufferers also. The problem happens when some of the basement moles like me myself run the game on brand new, equally overpriced equipment at high refresh rates, then look and compare the screens (not the videos captured by software that contain lower framerates with different bitrates and compression involved), check at the graphs that show the Frame Times. FOV may not seem that important. Let`s say someone from competitive scene comes to play casually 7DTD, and what happens that there is no 90 FOV,then he`s missing the shot from a crossbow if he plays at 85 in 7DTD. So there are 3 choices... abandon the game, wait for the update, or just take it as it is.

3 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Let`s say someone from competitive scene comes to play casually 7DTD, and what happens that there is no 90 FOV,then he`s missing the shot from a crossbow if he plays at 85 in 7DTD.

wut? If the difference of 5 degrees of view causes someone to miss their shot from a crossbow when in either an 85 or 90 FOV the crosshaires is going to be smack dab in the middle of the screen anyway-- well all I can say is that they're probably not coming from a competitive scene to play this game casually. They are a casual who can't get along without aim assistance....

8 hours ago, Roland said:

wut? If the difference of 5 degrees of view causes someone to miss their shot from a crossbow when in either an 85 or 90 FOV the crosshaires is going to be smack dab in the middle of the screen anyway-- well all I can say is that they're probably not coming from a competitive scene to play this game casually. They are a casual who can't get along without aim assistance....

I know that this may sound ridiculous but it`s easier to hit a fast-moving target like a helicopter or a jet in the mid-air with RPG equipped and having enabled 90FOV in certain games. Such FOV is the right choice for the proper striking angles. In open maps, higher FOV gives a lot of advantages. Multiple enemies might be easier to be spotted and it takes less effort to travel with a mouse through a screen, hard to explain but it is what it is.

48 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

I know that this may sound ridiculous but it`s easier to hit a fast-moving target like a helicopter or a jet in the mid-air with RPG equipped and having enabled 90FOV in certain games. Such FOV is the right choice for the proper striking angles. In open maps, higher FOV gives a lot of advantages. Multiple enemies might be easier to be spotted and it takes less effort to travel with a mouse through a screen, hard to explain but it is what it is.

So similar to what setting War Thunder to minimum graphic settings used to do... Gives a major advantage to those who do vs those who don't, with the exception of huge field of views requiring higher end hardware and specific player irl physiology... A "flip this switch to win" thing... 😠

13 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I know that this may sound ridiculous but it`s easier to hit a fast-moving target like a helicopter or a jet in the mid-air with RPG equipped and having enabled 90FOV in certain games.

I'll take your word for that. You can take my word that there are no fast moving targets like a helicopter or a jet in this game and if kids that are used to using 90FOV as a crutch to hit fast moving targets come to this game they can always set the zombies to always walk... ;)

This game seems to be using vertical fov instead of horizontal, which isn't the norm. This means that 85 FOV in 7DTD would translate to around 117 FOV in most games, and I wouldn't precisely call that a low limit, not super high of course but not uncommon.  I remember back in the days when BF3 would have a max horizontal fov of 90, which seems kind of crazy today. I am personally playing at 70 vertical FOV in 7DTD to avoid too much fisheye effect.

Getting motionsick at 117 horizontal FOV sound kind of weird to me, but who am I to tell you what your own experience is. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by elektrohund (see edit history)