Are multiple hosts possible?

Ello Govnah

Hello, I'm new. I play 7d2d with 3 friends. Something that's been bugging me a little bit is that we have to wait for the friend who started our game to get on for us to be able to play. Is there a way we can all share access to boot the game up or do we just have to rely on our buddy's availability?

Yeah, you could use it to run a dedicated server. Leave it on and the server will always be running. And on a DS, time only advances if someone is logged on.

You could even do it on your main PC if you don't care to leave it on and if it is powerful enough to handle the server and client running at the same time.

You could even do it on your main PC if you don't care to leave it on and if it is powerful enough to handle the server and client running at the same time.

Just to note, you would want a minimum of 16-24GB RAM and a good CPU to do this. Will want at least 12 threads/cores running a minimum of 3.3GHz. (4GHz would be recommended.)

Just to note, you would want a minimum of 16-24GB RAM and a good CPU to do this. Will want at least 12 threads/cores running a minimum of 3.3GHz. (4GHz would be recommended.)

Hardly depends on the mapsize. I did this while setting auf a server and with a 8K maps, both the client and the server used 12GB RAM each. So i'd say you need at least MORE than 24GB if you want to have an 8K map.

16GB might be even too less for a 4K map.

And both is only the usage of 7d2d itself. What your OS needs by default or programs running in the background is additionally needed.

CPU seemed rather less important. Would say a 4c/8t could also handle that.

@OP: There are also providers where you can rent a dedicated 7d2d server. That of course costs money, but you don't need own hardware and don't need to run it 24/7. Just google for "7 days to die server rent".

Okay, how would that work? I'm not too sure what you meant, but would we have to keep that old computer on and the server would always be running then?

Yes you would set up the server on the old computer and leave it running so anyone could join whenever they want. Or even if you knew there wouldn't be anyone on for a few days you could shut it down and then start it up before people wanted to play. I just have my old computer running in my living room. I have the monitor shut down and use anydesk on both computers to connect into the server to make any changes I want...because my fat ass is too lazy to walk from my bedroom to the living room :D

Archived