Do you Turret cheat? or use any other exploits? Eg cheese ai base strats etc.

Scyris

Do you turret cheat or use any other exploits? This includes stuff like base designs to cheese the AI etc.

Turret cheating is using junk turrets anywhere outside of horde night, perked into it or not, they are stupidly OP for how the ammo is basically free due to the knockdown/flinch lock they cause.

So, yeah I don't use junk turrets outside of horde night, don't need em not even on insane. As for bases I don't really make any of the cheese bases, the most I do is set my base up so the zombies HAVE to come in from a certan way. the brown church poi with no fence around it is a prime example, if you knock out the backstairs, and fill that 4 block door up, the zombies will come in the front and won't even bother hitting the back or sides of the poi much if at all. I build the base up near the beams that go across, with a entrance from the side of the church in via well used to be a hatch elevator but now just a ladder, zombies won't go up it if your not right by it. As well as a way inside to go up and down. Only need to defend from one direction with that poi, so you base everything around that entrance and if its breached? You can zip up your ladder jump out the side (As i put haybales down), get on a vehicle and ride away. Only real issue with this is with Demolition zombies, cops you can usually bodyshot and kill before they'd blow up but it doesn't work on those guys.

You could say fighting them on top of a wall or a bar cage is cheating in a way, but when you think of it, who in the right mind would fight a horde of zombies on even ground given the choice of high ground? I sure as hell wouldn't stay ground level with them.

I am not a melee guy, and horde nights are therefore an absolute ammo drain. To make it less so I use a kill corridor with a drop so that the zombies have to circle back over and over.

Why don't I just turn Horde night off? Because of the XP, and because it's worth a laugh. I do have to work towards making enough ammo and do have to keep reparing and upgrading this base. Last horde night I got 450 kills off of 1250 rounds of ammo. I had to work for it in a way that I enjoyed.

I feel strong enough and skilled enough now to start a more risky way of taking on the horde. In stead of a killing corridor I'll try a killing field in which I will run in circles among a bunch of auto-turrent towers. I'm busy building this which will take a total of about 70 turrents to build and with lights and relays will require 8 or 9 generators.

About the choice of words: Cheating / cheesing / etc. I'm very careful... different thigns are fun for different people. So one person will "cheese" on mining while another that enjoys that aspect will cheese on horde night and another will cheese the trader and so on. So really it is just a play style based on how this game gives you entertainment.

The negative connotation to the words "cheating" or "cheese" belies the flexibility of this game that lets people with such different play styles all enjoy the game, each for their own reasons.

I can't stress that enough. The more you call it "cheating" just because you prefer to do it different, the more you erode the game overall.

Just stop doing it.

Note that "cheating" by abusing a bug is a different thing. Example: If it was possible to sell something and then buy it back cheaper and keep on doing that to make lots of money, that would probably be a bug rather than a strategy.

I've never used a junk turret, never will. They are the ultimate cheese imo. Being able to carry it everywhere, generate ammo on the fly from scrap metal and set it down for autonomous protection is just OP as hell. Same goes for the "exploit pathing" bases people are so proud of. Never built one, never will. I play always walk (because zombies don't run by MY definition) and do my horde nights on the street with some rows of spikes and barbed wire alongside the road.

I do not or no longer use the Junk Turrets. The reason is simply because they work against single or slow zombies but once you have the first feral zombies the turrets are practically useless if it is more than one zombie.

I recently cleared the Shamway factory for a quest. At the very top there is a room full of feral and radioactive zombies. They were no problem with my shotgun but a junk turret would be too slow and weak for these zombies.

I also don't use them in Horde Night because they could trigger the explosion of the demolishers.

This is my argument for exploiting AI, or doing in general whatever you want to do: They are zombies, there is not a single time in my mind where I would fight a zombie fairly. I would use everything to my advantage. Height, ramps, turrets, etc. When zombies are involved I don't want it to be a fair fight. That being said once I have the equipment; I will stand in a field and fight a horde as long as possible before getting into a base for a moments reprieve from battle.

But to answer your question; i will use turrets early - they provide an ability to clear more challenging POI's early. After mid game, or really any weapon specialization, I will generally forget about them. In regards to base design, I often built a Ranger Stationish building (View from all sides, and ability to jump out and escape if needed). My latest builds include a 1/4 block and a pole, which provides and opening large enough for you to crouch through but not for a zombie to climb through. If only they knew how to crouch. :)

Just starting to get into PvP, so I am sure my designs must adjust. News at 11.

I do not or no longer use the Junk Turrets. The reason is simply because they work against single or slow zombies but once you have the first feral zombies the turrets are practically useless if it is more than one zombie.

I recently cleared the Shamway factory for a quest. At the very top there is a room full of feral and radioactive zombies. They were no problem with my shotgun but a junk turret would be too slow and weak for these zombies.

I also don't use them in Horde Night because they could trigger the explosion of the demolishers.

Maxed turrets will shred that room without you even taking an active role if you do it properly. Just run around the turrets. It is a LOT faster than other methods as well.

Do you turret cheat or use any other exploits? This includes stuff like base designs to cheese the AI etc.

Turret cheating is using junk turrets anywhere outside of horde night, perked into it or not, they are stupidly OP for how the ammo is basically free due to the knockdown/flinch lock they cause.

So, yeah I don't use junk turrets outside of horde night, don't need em not even on insane. As for bases I don't really make any of the cheese bases, the most I do is set my base up so the zombies HAVE to come in from a certan way. the brown church poi with no fence around it is a prime example, if you knock out the backstairs, and fill that 4 block door up, the zombies will come in the front and won't even bother hitting the back or sides of the poi much if at all. I build the base up near the beams that go across, with a entrance from the side of the church in via well used to be a hatch elevator but now just a ladder, zombies won't go up it if your not right by it. As well as a way inside to go up and down. Only need to defend from one direction with that poi, so you base everything around that entrance and if its breached? You can zip up your ladder jump out the side (As i put haybales down), get on a vehicle and ride away. Only real issue with this is with Demolition zombies, cops you can usually bodyshot and kill before they'd blow up but it doesn't work on those guys.

You could say fighting them on top of a wall or a bar cage is cheating in a way, but when you think of it, who in the right mind would fight a horde of zombies on even ground given the choice of high ground? I sure as hell wouldn't stay ground level with them.

If you designate everything as a 'cheat' or 'exploit' then sure, everyone cheats in some way. Turrets are not cheating or exploitative. I generally do not use large pathing exploits but I do have a path that has a few electric fence posts. When you are facing down hordes of radiated cops - and cops are far worse than demolishes as far as I can tell - then you are going to use some sort of method that someone will label as an exploit.

I dunno. I personally think it's okay for people to play how they want to. I generally don't use junk turrets except on horde nights ( I place them on the roof above me to handle those stupid birds). Telling someone they can't or shouldn't play a certain way because it's "cheese" or "cheating" has always seemed a bit elitist to me *shrug*. You may not think so. We all have our own play styles. The only real problems I have are people who use exploits\glitches\hacks in MP. When you play SP, play how you want to. As long as you're having fun.

I like using a junk turret for POI exploration. If that makes me a cheater so be it. The junk turret is one of my favorite additions to the game. If it got nerfed some more that would be fine but the way it is now is just pure fun.

I dunno. I personally think it's okay for people to play how they want to. I generally don't use junk turrets except on horde nights ( I place them on the roof above me to handle those stupid birds). Telling someone they can't or shouldn't play a certain way because it's "cheese" or "cheating" has always seemed a bit elitist to me *shrug*. You may not think so. We all have our own play styles. The only real problems I have are people who use exploits\glitches\hacks in MP. When you play SP, play how you want to. As long as you're having fun.

What is funny is that I NEVER use junk turrets for horde night - they set off the demolishers. When they start showing up the intel guy really needs a backup. I run with 32 zeds though and that changes the dynamics of horde night a lot.

This is not a cheat. It's not a thing. You're inventing something to feel superior about, but when the developer puts an object in the game, using that object is not a "cheat." You may feel like it's cheap tactics, but it's not cheating. Also, no one cares what you think about how they play, lol

"This thing I don't like is a cheat, but doing this thing I do like is just smart."

I love these threads.

i try to avoid turrets in general, in horde night i use them only vs vultures on the roof, don't wanna close it completely with bars.

and i'm pretty sure i will avoid these other great additions in a19 too (sledge turret and especially the drone)

What is funny is that I NEVER use junk turrets for horde night - they set off the demolishers. When they start showing up the intel guy really needs a backup. I run with 32 zeds though and that changes the dynamics of horde night a lot.

Hence why I have them above me shooting at those damn stupid birds.

It's very rare to see something that fits the textbook definition of a 'scrub' rather than hearing the word used as a random insult, but this is it right here. This is the scrub mentality. Saying that using a specifically-designed game mechanic in the exact way it was intended to be used is 'cheating' because 'it's overpowered' while dismissing their own strategy of choice as 'not cheap' because 'it's what you should be doing.' A bit of a disingenuous argument, that one, because the way I see it if you're in a survival situation you should always be using the most overpowered thing you can because your goal is to survive, not 'play fair.' The creation of arbitrary house rules then acting smug about 'being better' than other players because you stick to that set of artificial restrictions is what defines the scrub.

Do I use junk turrets? Sure, if I feel like it. They're handy for keeping me covered while I do other things, because killing zombies isn't exciting after the first few and I'd rather be doing something else without worrying about turning around and killing zombies. Do I use junk turrets all the time? No, because they have their drawbacks, as FA_Q2 mentioned. They're just another tool in the game, as added by the game designers, and I'll use them or not use them as I feel I want or need to.

Nothing cheating about using the tools provided by the game in the way the designers intended them to be used. It's only when you get into the specifics of AI behavior to make zombies, say, run a loop forever that you're getting into actual exploit territory, since that's clearly not an intended mechanic by the developers.

Turret cheat? Nah, they're way too cumbersome; you have to take time to place them, and babysit the zeds in front of them and constantly be scrapping and crafting ammo for them and run back and forth to pick them up..

I do pistol cheat some though; just way too convenient, it always shoots at the zed I most care about, always hits if I use it properly, doesn't have the zeds running past it, it's always right there with me on my toolbelt and you can't even loot a trash bag without finding some ammo for it..

Some times I even rifle cheat, the power of a hunting rifle just pops zombie heads left right and center, that's just not fair ..

:)

Nothing cheating about using the tools provided by the game in the way the designers intended them to be used. It's only when you get into the specifics of AI behavior to make zombies, say, run a loop forever that you're getting into actual exploit territory, since that's clearly not an intended mechanic by the developers.

Yeah, "cheesing" and "exploiting" is pretty much defined as doing something the devs never intended, in order to get an advantage. On rare occasions it can add depth/complexity to a game (like advanced movement tech) but most of the time it breaks or trivializes gameplay. Breaking the zombie AI with steep ramps being a good example.

Also, if we're talking about overpowered things, the M60 is a far worse culprit than Junk Turrets.

If you call using a Junk turret cheating, then I can call Using a PoI at ANY time cheating as well. If you are too lazy to build your own base from day 1 (which I do all the time), then you should stop being so smug about people using the Junk turret.

On that note, I do use a junk turret, but only if I find a Q6 one. Once I get a Q6 one I will usualy perk into it, but not before since it would be a waste of 5 pp

Try to avoid them because they kind of ruin the experience. Would love to use them though, so hopefully they will balance them.

If they remove the junk turrets chance of knockdown/flinch entirely it'd fix their main problem. Its the flinch/kd and how easy the ammo is that makes them quite OP in my eyes. Damage wise they don't do much really, they tickle zombies, but that high flinch/knockdown is godly at making zombies easy targets, especially since you can use another weapon after you place it.

As for the m60 being overpowered, I dunno, the ammo actually costs decent time/materials to make. I do admit dps wise pretty much nothing will top it, just due to the huge clip size it has. How would you balance it?

It's very rare to see something that fits the textbook definition of a 'scrub' rather than hearing the word used as a random insult, but this is it right here. This is the scrub mentality. Saying that using a specifically-designed game mechanic in the exact way it was intended to be used is 'cheating' because 'it's overpowered' while dismissing their own strategy of choice as 'not cheap' because 'it's what you should be doing.' A bit of a disingenuous argument, that one, because the way I see it if you're in a survival situation you should always be using the most overpowered thing you can because your goal is to survive, not 'play fair.' The creation of arbitrary house rules then acting smug about 'being better' than other players because you stick to that set of artificial restrictions is what defines the scrub.

Do I use junk turrets? Sure, if I feel like it. They're handy for keeping me covered while I do other things, because killing zombies isn't exciting after the first few and I'd rather be doing something else without worrying about turning around and killing zombies. Do I use junk turrets all the time? No, because they have their drawbacks, as FA_Q2 mentioned. They're just another tool in the game, as added by the game designers, and I'll use them or not use them as I feel I want or need to.

Just because its put in by the devs doesn't mean its not op as ♥♥♥♥. Does any other weapon/tool make poi exploring as easy and as much of a joke as a junk turret does? probably not. there in is where the problem is. I don't use them because it feels cheap, and broken, and generally op for random poi looting. As i've said my main issue is the knockdown/flinch needs to be removed entirely, and maybe also make the ammo require a forge and 5 iron a shot to make. At that point it'd actually be balanced. A zombie thats always on its ass with a turret you can place down anytime makes the game a complete joke imo, mainly because you can use another weapon at the same time. If the flinch/knockdown only took effect when its IN your hand and being fired then it'd be fine. Your forgetting this is a game, not real life, balance needs to be a thing and the junk turret still is brokenly OP as ♥♥♥♥ for the above mentioned issues.

Also if I seen someone junk turret cheating/cheesing in a game, i'd not say anything about it, if they wanna cheat the game etc let em, me? I don't need to depend on cheesy stuff like that to survive.

If anything, Scrub would/should apply to people who exploit stuff like that. I do not see how me using my own ability to kill things without needing a op turret makes me a scrub.

I kinda have the same issue with multiplayer, its fun as hell, not going to lie, but it also makes most of the game a complete joke (other than horde night, that small part of 1 day actually gets harder), player skill/knowledge depending. I do wish they'd fix the netcode or whatever the problem is, so melee is actually viable on a server when your not the host. Me and my best friend have about 70 ping from each other or so, and when I host a server, he can't really hit anything in melee and just gets mauled due to whatever is causing the sync issue. I'd have to try it some more I guess, maybe get him to host now that his pc is better than mine.

Archived