does anybody like those treasure quests?

ElCabong

I gave it a go. I don't have any points in whatever that skill is it narrows your range down. After 30 minutes, well it seemed like 30 minutes, I gave up and canceld the quest. I got a lifetime supply of clay though.

How good is the treasure? If it's good enough I'll give it another try

From my experience, the treasures are usually pretty good - Hundreds of Dukes, piles of ammunition, valuable trader goods - but finding them without perks is an exercise in frustration unless you're a very specced miner with a good shovel that can break the ground in one hit (or just very patient). They can be pretty deep and there's no real consistent way to find them beyond just digging out every tile in the radius until you find it.

I'll agree on the "they're pretty good" bit, the treasure map - chests are great, the trader quest stashes are mostly about the quest progression.

How can you find them easily? Find the center of the area. Right outside the range when the icon starts to blink, you can either just aim with the icon from two angles, or slap frames on the ground where the icon swaps. The treasure used to be very close to center, not entirely sure of this patch, but usually within 5 meters of the center.

Focusing your efforts on the center will usually cut your digging area by something like 60-80%.

They're always under two blocks. If it's two blocks of water, it's on the bottom of the lake; if it's two blocks of a POI, it's usually under a roof. Most often it's two blocks of dirt, and then at worst a mountain side is confusing since it goes up and down pretty rapidly.

Once you've found the center, instead of excavating the whole neighbourhood; an easy way for good coverage is to dig parallel trenches. If you dug one already, you can dig another three blocks over, leaving two full blocks in between - you don't need to see the same block from two sides.

That'll save you 2/3 of the digging.

Depth will need to vary by the deepest side, you'll need to see the third block below every block you leave untouched.

If you want to optimize your digging even further, you can dig in a .. "chess knight" - like pattern. Two up, one to the side. That's still about half the trouble of digging trenches, but may get quite confusing especially on a hill.

oooooo oo1ooo
ooXooo o1X12o
ooooXo o312X2
oXoooo 3X342o
oooXoo o34X4o
oooooo ooo4oo

The map treasure chests are usually great, i've gotten upwards of 10-15k dukes out of those chests in just raw dukes at times. My strat for them is thus: Dig 3 blocks down, then dig on that 3rd block layer around you in a circle pattern, then go 1 more below you for 4 down, and repeat so you can go deeper into the circle pattern, generally works pretty well for me at least for trader quests. The map treasure quests though can be a bloody nightmare if your unlucky especially if you didn't bother to get the perks.

Once you've found the center, instead of excavating the whole neighbourhood; an easy way for good coverage is to dig parallel trenches. If you dug one already, you can dig another three blocks over, leaving two full blocks in between - you don't need to see the same block from two sides.

Yup. We mark the edges where the icon starts flashing (both N/S limits and E/W limits) and then start digging parallel tracks like you describe. Usually we have the treasure within a couple of minutes (2 people working together). It helps to have a steel shovel and the grave digger mod. And snow biome treasures are the best since snow always takes just one dig to remove a block.

I modded my treasure quests so that when I open the chest it starts a quest to the nearest trader. Sometimes it goes to an already known trader but sometimes I get a new place. It makes me get more excited to do those quests especially if the direction is far away from from any known traders. I usually mark the edges of the area with frame blocks and then start digging parallel trenches three blocks deep and separated by two blocks.

Yes. I like them. :)

I usually like the treasures okay. It all depends on what sort of ground they're under. If it leads me to a mountain I usually just clear the quest, !ol.

The chest always rises to be in the 3rd or 4th layer from the top. So even in a mountain you won't be digging any deeper. If the quest area is under a building then you shouldn't dig but instead look around on the walls about 3-4 blocks from the top of the ceiling.

The chest always rises to be in the 3rd or 4th layer from the top. So even in a mountain you won't be digging any deeper. If the quest area is under a building then you shouldn't dig but instead look around on the walls about 3-4 blocks from the top of the ceiling.

It all depends on how steep the incline is. I've had them spawn into a sheer cliff face. Sure, all the rules may still apply, but only if I can get to it.

Edit: I know I could always nerd pole or make steps, but that's still more effort than I'm willing to expend.

Find the edge. Dig straight down 3 blocks. Dig in a line until you hit the end of the area. Then dig 3 blocks to the side and repeat in the opposite direction. you never need to remove the top layer so it actually provides some protection from wandering zeds and will net you the chest in under 10 min if you have at least an iron shovel. As a bonus, the top layer is 250 hp (unless you are in the desert) but the layers you will dig through are only 200 hp.

From the top (if the top layer was see through) your tunnels should look like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

X

X

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

X

X

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

And so on. It is strip mining basically. this allows you to remove the absolute least amount of terrain while ensuring you find the chest. Conversly, I have never required more than 3 sticks of dynamite to find the chest and sometimes the trader offers 10 as a reward for completing it. I almost always take the treasure quests because I can complete them really, really, really fast.

I gave it a go. I don't have any points in whatever that skill is it narrows your range down. After 30 minutes, well it seemed like 30 minutes, I gave up and canceld the quest. I got a lifetime supply of clay though.

How good is the treasure? If it's good enough I'll give it another try

It's the most pointless thing the game has to offer. I do... well, did sometimes, during a terribly long playsession, ask myself if this is really how I wanna live my life, particularly when walking long distances, but digging dirt to find a bloody lootbox is where I draw the line. Not doing it, life's to precious to spend it like that.

I mark N, W, S and E with a frame like this:

Start where the chest is indicated on the compass N/W/S/E exactly. The letter, eg "N" and the chest must line up, and they need to be in the middle of the compass exactly.

Now approach slowly till it turns red. Put down a frame where you're standing the moment it turns red.

Repeat from the other 3 directions.

Dig 2 blocks down in the exact center of the 4 frames.

If the chest is not there, it is less than 1 block away, because I occasionally struggle to get it exactly on the N/W/S/E letter.

You probably only need 3 but I always do all 4 just tobe sure I made no mistake.

Buried supplies are generally in the middle of the zone. Easy to find.

Treasure Map ones, are a PITA. they can be in the middle or right on the edge. Sometimes lots of digging, but 15k+ dukes worth of stuff is nice.

(if you don't need them to spend, that's a bunchaton of brass casings)

If you luck out and get a map or 3 early, absolutely worth it. Lets you buy all kinds of goodies early on.

I haven't done a vanilla map in a while. I modded in two of my own treasure maps: The Count of Monte Cristo and The Addams Family. Each are meant to be end-game maps and are exceedingly rare. Oddly one usually drops for me week 1, don't know why. Modded them in after watching The Count of Monte Cristo, love that movie. The trader buried supplies quests are lame and only give you canned food. Vanilla treasures, at least in previous alphas, were usually great. Digging for them is actually not that hard. Measuring out the edges of where the symbol blinks isn't even necessary. I just center myself on the symbol, dig down 4 blocks, and then repeat in a circular pattern around that spot. You only need to dig every 3rd block over from your last hole. I usually find them within a dozen attempts. 5 minutes and I've got the treasure.

Treasure Maps are awesome and definitely worth doing because of the reward (10 to 15k dukes + items most of the time). Given how nice the reward is, I feel like they should spawn in some zombies just like how the buried supplies quests works...

Archived