I stopped participating, realized why.

quyxkh

I can't stand the waste of space on the layout. It seems like the idea is to waste as much space as possible, I'm guessing because low-traffic forums would be embarrassed at how little there is to look at so it gets comically padded to make it seem like there's more of it. 90% of the time I can tell from the topic whether I'm interested. A decent layout makes it easy to scan the topics. This one buries them in endless lard, and manages to break even short ones.

Here's the "latest topics" from a busy and properly-laid-out forum:

1144451094_Screenshotfrom2020-03-0320-26-54.thumb.jpg.c3f75989142a1a1eb33a154a71366211.jpg

here's the same search on a rather-less-busy-these-days forum:

820015219_Screenshotfrom2020-03-0320-45-49.thumb.jpg.3b9d7ac5a91e997984686335a1d6cc17.jpg

and here's the same results from these forums:

1643934135_Screenshotfrom2020-03-0320-27-42.thumb.jpg.10c6f50c0a2b4d11e2ab15f787dcdcb2.jpg

See the difference? You can't tell what's going on here.

Feel free to continue to stay away until we get our forums properly formatted. We upgraded to the newest version but have found it lacking and will most likely be switching to a new platform very soon. There is no conspiracy to hide lower participation.

Think of this interim forum as a filter for true fans who are willing to stick with us despite the poor interface. :)

The devs priority with this schema shift was to get away from the old, end of life forum platform; it's not meant to look pretty right now, I imagine that it's meant to serve as a modern foundation to build upon in the future.

What we had was vBulletin v4. What we have is vBulletin v5. What we will soon have is an entirely new platform so this current look isn’t really the foundation or starting point to anything. It was meant to be until we discovered that it sucks. So now it is pure placeholder while Brains researches what platform will serve us best for now and going into the future with future projects...

When you set up the next forum, please consult someone who hasn't perfect visual acuity so they can assure you that grey text on black background is strenuous on the eyes. Or just believe me, your choice. It's very annoying.

Nobody is happy with what we have.

(Cue a response from the community segment who loves this format and just got offended)

What?! You're changing the forums to something different? But...but...change is the devil! #Triggered

Actually I couldn't care less what you did with the forums. They're yours, use whatever layout you want to. All I ask is that they be clear and easy to read. Good navigation is also a plus.

Out of curiosity, what is the likelyhood of us losing our "hard earned" post count, rep, titles, etc would be when the entirely new website platform gets implemented? I assume most of the data won't be compatible.

Archived