Tier 6 quests. Anyone ever actually get one?

Mephistopheles

Since tiered quests became a thing, I've NEVER ever actually been able to find a Tier 6 quest challenge anywhere. Have done hundreds of T5 quests, got the achievement saying Tier 5 complete, still continued doing lots of T5 quests, but I've never seen a T6 quest. I know they're supposed to exist because of all of the T6 stuff in quests.xml, but I see no comments in the code anywhere about T6 being disabled or unavailable.

So why is it limited to T5 when all the T6 code is there in the xmls? (Asking the devs here, assuming you've not seen them already comment on this.)

There are no POI's that are considered Tier 6 yet is why. They'd be even bigger than the current T5 poi's we have.

So why is it limited to T5 when all the T6 code is there in the xmls? (Asking the devs here, assuming you've not seen them already comment on this.)

Simple. The game is not yet complete. There are other things in code as well that are not yet implemented. I can share some fact and some speculation.

Fact: There are currently no new T5 and no T6 POIs being worked on. All new and reworked POIs are mostly T1 - T4 with an emphasis on the lower tiers.

Speculation: T6 are being held back for bandit strongholds. Bandits are also in the code but not yet implemented in the game and really there isn’t much else left to go in difficulty for POIs infested with sleeping zombies than T5. The next leap in difficulty would be bandit controlled forts so it would make sense to me to be perfect for T6 quests which would also be faction based.

now...that is just my guess. It could also very well be that they decide that T5 is high enough and they’ll end up removing the T6 code like what happened with the Behemoth.

Speaking of bandits, could you please relay to TFP that the bandits in Mist: Survival would be a good example of Shooting/Aiming NPC AI done right? It has it quirks and is primarily a one-man dev team, but the way bandits behave in that game are excellent IMO and something that should at least be looked at by TFP when looking for benchmarks for EA/Kickstarter/Indie game development. In particular, when a bandit sees or hears you, a visual icon pops up over the bandit's head, giving you instant feedback on if your stealth is compromised. I also really like how they have very diverse and unpredictable patrol patterns, and their aiming and shooting is good and challenging (especially snipers) but not impossible to counter.

I would just hate if, after all these years, we get bandits in 7d2d, but they're Terminator Aimbots that never miss, or if they're just so simple that defeating them is no challenge at all.

T6 is a place holder for now.

food for thought... T6 does not necessarily mean it pertains to a poi. :)

I did hear that the devs were making a irradiated wasteland.. Why do I get a feeling t6 quests will make you go in there? It'll probably be the nastiest biome too with all sorts of nasties around it.

I just hope a19 fixes quests, as I hate once I unlock tier 5 quests, I virtually never see a t3 or 4 show up again. T5's just aren't usually worth the time to do, the poi's are just TOO big. Didn't the devs say they were making it so the trader quest list will have pages im a19? with quests across all tiers updated daily or something? I find t3-4 to be the best bang for time, though the rewards item wise wouldn't be as good as a t5 from the quest reward.

Speaking of bandits, could you please relay to TFP that the bandits in Mist: Survival would be a good example of Shooting/Aiming NPC AI done right? It has it quirks and is primarily a one-man dev team, but the way bandits behave in that game are excellent IMO and something that should at least be looked at by TFP when looking for benchmarks for EA/Kickstarter/Indie game development. In particular, when a bandit sees or hears you, a visual icon pops up over the bandit's head, giving you instant feedback on if your stealth is compromised. I also really like how they have very diverse and unpredictable patrol patterns, and their aiming and shooting is good and challenging (especially snipers) but not impossible to counter.

I would just hate if, after all these years, we get bandits in 7d2d, but they're Terminator Aimbots that never miss, or if they're just so simple that defeating them is no challenge at all.

Well look at it this way, humans die easier than zombies would, as a zombie won't be killed till you take out the brain in normal zombie lore, meanwhile a single shot/stab could kill a human if it hits a major blood vein, or the organs, they'd bleed out in minutes.

For bandits to be any real threat they need to be ranged, as melee bandits would be no different than killing a zombie with 7dtd's current combat system, as its very easy to avoid melee attacks once you know the range. However like you said, i've seen bandits in mods for 7dtd and theu basically end up being aimbots when ranged, second they see you, your pretty much dead as they never seem to miss, and if one spots you and you didn't see him, he'd have you dead before you can even find where your being shot at from.. happened to me in 1 mod. Fallout 3/4/nv handle this in a unique way, accuarcy is heavilty influenced by the remaining durability on a weapon, and most npc's have ones at very low durability remaining raiders especially, while some of the highest end enemies may have ones at 50% durability left to 75% max. Its easiest to see when being shot at by someone using a energy weapon, as you can see the laser's travel path.

For bandits to work in 7dtd without a major combat overhaul a few things need to happen: They need to be given special versions of guns with lower entity damage and MUCH lower accuarcy than the player has access to, reason being is to offset that the npcs will probally have infinite ammo at their disposal.

If its a Unity game, (subsistence) which I'm sure it is, then is it really stealing?

The code is there (inside the unity core) so its not really stealing now is it?

Depends if those devs used some canned AI algorithm already available to the unity market or if they have their own custom developed variation...

Considering that at some point TFP decided to make their own assets/code where they can, i doubt they will simply use something from a common library and leave it as is. Either it will be built upon or made from ground up (bandit ai i mean). I suppose though that the bandit ai is somewhat done, just needs finishing, testing and rebalancing (all ofbwhich requires lots of time against other features).

So... I doubt they will shift to something else, unless current ideas fail miserably.

If its a Unity game, (subsistence) which I'm sure it is, then is it really stealing?

The code is there (inside the unity core) so its not really stealing now is it?

I mean "steal" the concept. Not actually rip off the coding, I have a lot more respect for the pimps than that.

Archived