Miss 5 mod slots for T6 items.

Biscoitoso

The Fun Pimps: Hey loot at it, now you can instal mods in your gear.

Me: Amazing!

The Fun Pimps: You can even paint your stuff.

Me: Wow! Awesome.

The Fun Pimps: Why you dont try it?

Me: Painting is nice, but I prefer someting more usefull in combat. Who need paint if a horde of zeds are running after you to eat your brain?

The Fun Pimps: Ha, I see. Let me solve that... A moment please... Done, now you have a slot only for painting!

Me: Amazing! Wait... Now why I just have 4 slots and no more 5?

The Fun Pimps: Cause now, it is the painting slot.

VERY NICE! IT WAS EXACTLY I WANTED!!!

"We are The Fun Pimps after all."

Biscoitoso: I want a big powerful gun for Christmas

TFP: Your wish is our command. Here you got that gun

Biscoitoso: Wait, I meant "overpowered", not "powerful".

TFP: Too late.

-------

Greek chorus sings: "1 mod per slot , dilemma that's not"

:friendly_wink:

Mega gave the funny answer so I’ll give the straight answer.

The addition of the paint only slot and reduction of the overall mod slots was coincidental. Shortly after implementing the mod slots it was agreed that there were too many and it would eventually need to be reduced.

Originally it was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for tiers 2-6 and then it was reduced to 1, 2, 3, 4 for tiers 2-6 and then finally 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 for tiers 1-6. So even tier 1 picked up a mod slot.

the bad thing about having five mod slots is that there really aren’t much more than five mods to place inside so that what happens is that your T6 weapon or tool or armor will always be exactly the same. With a max of four slots it allows for some differentiation between versions of this fire axe vs that fire axe. If you think about it, three mod slots really would be ideal for being able to create lots of different combinations of specialized gear.

Oh....and mods were permanently attached during A17 development and were changed to be detachable just prior to the experimental release. I found the significance of modding a piece of equipment much greater when it was a permanent change. Wish that was back....

EDIT:

In case you are interested.. [TABLE=align: center, border: 1, cellpadding: 1, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Number of unique mods for one specific equipment[/TD]

[TD]Number of 4 slot versions of that equipment possible[/TD]

[TD]Number of 5 slot versions of that equipment possible[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]35[/TD]

[TD]21[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]70[/TD]

[TD]56[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]126[/TD]

[TD]126[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]210[/TD]

[TD]252[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So unless there are more than 8 unique types of mods that can fit into a particular piece of equipment then there are more combinations of that particular piece of equipment you can make with only 4 slots. Taking the shotgun as an example, how many unique mods are there that can be attached to a shotgun? Is it more than 8? I have no idea but I suspect it is less than 9 for most equipment types. Even if we got to a point where there were 10+ mods in the game that would work for each piece of equipment that receives mods there is the question of whether being able to make 252 overpowered shotguns is better than only 210 reasonable shotguns. And finally, there is the question of how many of those ten mods would be viewed as "must haves" leaving the others to be ignored. If the list of "must haves" was only five then we are back to only one single shotgun that everyone makes every time.

With a max of four slots it allows for some differentiation between versions of this fire axe vs that fire axe.

How many fire axes does a singler player need? I bet most players only have one axe.

Most of the time, players sell surplus weapons and tools instead of building countless variations.

How many fire axes does a singler player need? I bet most players only have one axe.

Most of the time, players sell surplus weapons and tools instead of building countless variations.

How many times does a single player restart a new game? I bet most players restart a new game more than once. Most players will craft and find multiple fire axes across dozens of plays even if they only keep one at a time and each game could have a different variation.

How many times does a single player restart a new game? I bet most players restart a new game more than once. Most players will craft and find multiple fire axes across dozens of plays even if they only keep one at a time and each game could have a different variation.

Humans are creatures of habit. Once you know which combination works for you, you will always try to use the same combination. You may use another mod as a placeholder for a while but it will be replaced as soon as you find the right one.

1) There are mods almost everyone wants and mods that are just used to fill a slot. For weapons scope and rad remover are often examples of the first category, a mod that enhances durability is in the second category (in A18!). The desirability also depends largely on subjective criteria of a player, but most players won't try many permutations, some will always only use one in the end

2) BUT there are use cases for differentiation: The axe-mod that allows for more woodcutting but less damage against zombies is an example where one player might think about using the axe as weapon too or not. Did I do that myself? Weeell, I'm usually debating with myself whether I should use the mod or not. Until now I always used the mod though. But assuming I get around to play fortitude (with knuckles), the axe looks like an excellent complement.

With weapons there is definitely some fluctuation of mods. For example if you use two weapons of the same type, one with AP ammo and one with normal or HP ammo, then you might mod them differently. For example I would put rad remover only into the AP weapon in that case.

3) In my view the limitation is not about providing lots of different weapons, but more about providing hard choices to the player. I'm assuming that with telemetry or simple polls TFP could find out which mods are used all the time and which are never used. And correct that in beta balancing. For example the durability mod could easily advance to a top mod by adding a bit of damage on top, without any change to durability balance itself. Then there would be a real choice involved.

The biggest draw back to 1,2,2,3,3,4 for me is that the differentiation gear between levels 2-3 and 4-5 generally aren't beneficial enough to bother wasting resources for higher tie gear. Sure, I'll make the upgrade if I'm still using leather armor, but military? Nope. Too expensive for the return to craft t3 military gear if I already have t2. It's not as harsh in SP, but in MP with multiple ppl using the same type of armor, we all agreed to wait. Steel tool parts have been pretty rare for us to find, so we had the same issue - no point in crafting a 4 when it'd be better to wait until five. This is especially true when your t5 gear can turn out weaker than your t4.

I'm really....really in favor of the old 0,1,2,3,4,5 scheme. There should be something nifty which differentiates those supreme level 6 weapons given that they're the ones you can't craft. Making the purple stuff rarer would be fine if an offset is needed.

-Morloc

I'm really....really in favor of the old 0,1,2,3,4,5 scheme. There should be something nifty which differentiates those supreme level 6 weapons given that they're the ones you can't craft. Making the purple stuff rarer would be fine if an offset is needed.

-Morloc

I TOTALLY agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee with you! Give us back the T6 5 Slots gear but turn T6 stuff more rare!

IMHO the solution to supreme lvl 6 is legendary weapons and those are still planned (AFAIK).

@Roland, ktr: I think the current mod slot advancement isn't "1,2,2,3,3,4", but "1,1,2,2,3,4"

For the differentiation between qualities I would simply alternate average damage and slot advances. In other words, there would not be an average damage boost between levels 2 and 3, and none between 4 and 5. And that damage boost would be added between 1 and 2, effectively doubling that boost, and between 3 and 4.

I really don't get this complaint...i mean, stock/barrel/clip/sight is exactly 4 slots, what more can you actually add to a gun? the color mod slot is actually exactly the 5th spot because you dont need a 5th, I can't think of what can actually be added unless you somehow stacked barrel mods

PS and if anyone says rad remover isn't one of those, it would be a clip category as it would need to be near the ammo the longest to add the effect, I doubt the .000000001 seconds a bullet passes the end of the barrel is enough for whatever magic the rad remover accomplishes to happen....maybe not though

Yeah, what syn said.. especially with the current amount of mods; guns wouldn't benefit much from more slots.. my bows especially seem to have free slots.

For armor, pack mule is a thing that "conflicts" with pocket mods, well insulated can be considered a talent alternative for cooling/heating mods - this seems like an all right design, your talent choices allow freedoms in your gear. But that Requires that you can't just slap everything on your one set of armor.

If more mods are being planned; a lesser amount of slots would then support specialized gear, "this AK for sniping and this one for room clearing" .. but humm ho, either design can work :)

IMHO the solution to supreme lvl 6 is legendary weapons and those are still planned (AFAIK).

@Roland, ktr: I think the current mod slot advancement isn't "1,2,2,3,3,4", but "1,1,2,2,3,4"

For the differentiation between qualities I would simply alternate average damage and slot advances. In other words, there would not be an average damage boost between levels 2 and 3, and none between 4 and 5. And that damage boost would be added between 1 and 2, effectively doubling that boost, and between 3 and 4.

Thanks. Will fix.

Thanks for the correction. I thought I had typed it the other way, but apparently, I'd not had enough coffee.

And yes, I'd be okay with that. I don't think the differentiation between the levels is enough to warrant crafting between, for example, 3 & 4. Personally, I'd still prefer more mod slots in the end. While potentially less useful for weapons, I'd like it for armor and possibly tools.

• 2 weeks later...

Since armor has the higher potential for applicable mods I say the devs should put more slots on those BUT at a cost. (e.g. gain of an encumbrance slot for every mod added). That in turn will add more value to the pack mule perk which most people forgo because of pocket mods.

TFPs, let me know where to email you my PayPal account. Tyvm...??

On the other hand your armor is made up of five pieces each of which has four mod slots at Q6. So “armor” as a whole already has 20 slots available for mods and even allows for stacking of up to 5 duplicates of the same mod if spread out to all five pieces. No other gear has this advantage. At Q5 which is the highest craftable level there are a total of 15 mod slots for armor.

crazy....

On the other hand your armor is made up of five pieces each of which has four mod slots at Q6. So “armor” as a whole already has 20 slots available for mods and even allows for stacking of up to 5 duplicates of the same mod if spread out to all five pieces. No other gear has this advantage. At Q5 which is the highest craftable level there are a total of 15 mod slots for armor.

crazy....

Speaking of armor mods, can someone explain to me how Improved & Customized Fittings are supposed to affect the Stamina/S penalty?

I posted a bug that they don't seem to have any effect on the penalty, and Schwartz replied "This is by design as they are meant to be used on a whole suit of armor." Does this mean you have to install them to each piece of armor to see a reduction in Stamina/S penalty?

Archived