what is the one thing you want to loot the most when you start?

ElCabong

To me, ease of movement and carrying capacity is essential. Those two prequisites must be fulfilled asap. So this means anything that allows me to carry more (pocket mods) and resources to build a bicycle the earliest. I also wish for a firearm early in game for urgent cases of sudden zombie swarm.

an Iron Shovel...I can use the stone axe for wood and mining if really need be, but day 1? I want a shovel so I can bang out 2-3 buried supplies quests so I get food/seed schematics and enough food, so I can worry about finding a decent 2 week home (I like to be semi transient and find new homes periodically as well as make new bases (horde) every 2-3 hordes)

PS the added benefit of stocking up on clay/cobblestone/cement powder is always a plus

For me it's not so much a tool, although anything iron is nice in the beginning, it's a place. I try to head right for the green biome. I don't feel I can get really settled in until I find the green biome. Everything else is pretty much secondary.

For me it's not so much a tool, although anything iron is nice in the beginning, it's a place. I try to head right for the green biome. I don't feel I can get really settled in until I find the green biome. Everything else is pretty much secondary.

I always settle there too.

A pistol or a shotgun with some ammo, iron tools, a iron sledge is like a gift from the gods. I usually do buried supply quests for tier 1 and 2 quests, so I end up with a nice stock of food and such after, plus they can be done at night even on day 1, just be ready to run once you open and loot the chest. Can also do them with just a stone shovel, slower than iron but doable.

What loot do I really hope to find early? Pump shotgun, steel tools, Machete for harvesting corpses as it usually one shots them the gore piles, also serves as a good weapon early game even unperked.

Probably a wrench. Lucky goggles are even more exciting to find early on although I don't specifically set out to find them like I do with wrenches. Book shelves are probably the most fun containers to loot early game beyond the big chests. The cathedral is my favorite early game looting POI with all the book shelves, coffins and then good end loot.

I also love getting the iron shovel early on. If I get a shovel I immediately change whatever plans I had into doing some quests.

Yep, buried supply quests are so useful early game especially if you dont perk into cooking foods.

That might be true of most people, methinks.

Used to settle in desert long ago before the food poisoning patch made cactus juice no bueno. But just the desert or forest. The big problem for us was the snow, wasteland and burning biomes were just too noisy, not too dangerous. The constant noise or wind howling would give you a headache after a while if you were constantly working around it day after day. If there was a way to turn off just that background noise or if they would patch it back enough, I could see settling in those areas.

Wooden bow or an Iron Spear. I tend to not throw the Iron spears until I can reliably make them, using the stone spear as my thrown weapon, just in case I miss and can't find it again.

But really the bow, used to be I'd be hunting that compound bow first so that would work too.

Doesn't matter how easy they are to find or not. Cook pot. It stinks to have to wait until you can make one in the forge if the RNG wont give you one. I actually like starting in the burnt out forest biome (except for the dogs now) because of all the looting possibilities during travel. Trash on the ground everywhere and easy to see bird nests. Plus the frequent ovens in the corner rubble makes finding priority one a lot easier.

Archived