Frustrating decision

prkchpsyring

Playing dead is dead on day 25. Working on my “trailer trash” base when I go to deal with a zombie respawn in one of the trailers. It’s a runner moe and he hits me once, nbd, hit him some with my bat then go to switch to my pistol before he can do too much damage because my stamina is low. Empty. Even though I reloaded it during the night. I didn’t realize that just even going into the modify menu will empty the gun. I thought it only happens when you actually remove or put on a modifier. I get hit rapidly and die because of it.

I play dead is dead straight up except when it’s caused by glitches, performance issues, or anything of the like. Now I’m faced with a shitty decision because while I did die, I don’t think that a gun should unload because I wanted to see what mods are on it. Ugh. I hate stuff like this.

For this situation, I would apply the logic that such a 'mistake' would not be possible were the circumstance real. Guns don't unload themselves in real life.

Yeah and that’s kind of what makes me want to keep playing. I can understand if I slapped a mod on the gun but just looking at it should not unload the damn thing.

• 2 weeks later...
For this situation, I would apply the logic that such a 'mistake' would not be possible were the circumstance real. Guns don't unload themselves in real life.

True guns don't unload themselves, but anybody who modifies their gun in real life while keeping rounds in the firearm is an idiot. No self respecting gunsmith is going to replace a barrel, change a spring, or add a buttstock with the weapon loaded. Adding the silencer/suppressor or the drum are about the only things that could be done with ammo in the gun. Hell, some handguns have to be unloaded as the trigger has to be pulled for disassembly. Since adding the drum or the suppressor is part of the modification process it gets caught by the same rules.

For the most part, it is realistic. Think of the modify menu as removing the slide from the pistol frame and it makes sense.

True guns don't unload themselves, but anybody who modifies their gun in real life while keeping rounds in the firearm is an idiot. No self respecting gunsmith is going to replace a barrel, change a spring, or add a buttstock with the weapon loaded. Adding the silencer/suppressor or the drum are about the only things that could be done with ammo in the gun. Hell, some handguns have to be unloaded as the trigger has to be pulled for disassembly. Since adding the drum or the suppressor is part of the modification process it gets caught by the same rules.

For the most part, it is realistic. Think of the modify menu as removing the slide from the pistol frame and it makes sense.

Yep this. And the first thing you do after you're done maintaining your weapon is to reload it. That's the step the OP forgot. :)

LOL. Of all the cases where realism is used as justification for a game mechanic, this has to be among the most ridiculous.

Dead is dead means err..... dead is umm.. dead, no excuses no looking back. Its all part of the fun and frustration and is usually our own damn faults!

Brilliant starts are usually accompanied by the aforementioned "stood on a mine i knew was there, didnt notice the pack of wolves", etc etc etc.

Jumping up and down one minute, raging and seething the next minute is par for the course.

Dead is dead equally fun and devastating at any given minute, go on, you know you want to!

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but can't you see the mods on an item just by clicking on the item.? Don,t the mods show under the stat block? There is no need to open the Modify(unload:congratulatory:) menu. At work right now so I can't check this but I know the mods show under the stat block.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but can't you see the mods on an item just by clicking on the item.? Don,t the mods show under the stat block? There is no need to open the Modify(unload:congratulatory:) menu. At work right now so I can't check this but I know the mods show under the stat block.

Yes, they do show.

Well, it shows the icon of the mod. But you can't click the mod from the main screen to see what it actually is or does. Is that a 4x or a 10x scope? Muffled connectors or advanced muffled connectors? What does the foregrip do exactly? I've found it mildly annoying when I'm trying to min/max my mods. I probably need to git gud.

To OP, having fun is #1, so whatever worked for you!

That said, and zero judgement here, I would have had to start over. To me the fault would be mine due to not verifying that I was ready to go; guns loaded, boots tied, etc.

The way I was taught was very basic.

1) For Safety, -Always- assume a firearm is loaded.

2) For Survival -Never- assume a gun is loaded that has been out of your direct control.

3) Never point a firearm at anything you don't intend to kill.

Now a days 1 & 3 are usually combined but I've always thought #3 should be an 'in your face' stand alone bit. Seems to get peoples attention better that way.

Just my opinion but practicing good habits, even in a video game, helps to solidify them in the rw too.

I get why you're pissed about this, I know for sure that I would be as well. That said, if pressing the "modify" button is the IRL equivalent of doing maintenance on a gun, it would certainly be unloaded. This seems like one of those annoying mechanics that doesn't actually improve gameplay by being realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

unload gun make sure chamber is empty to take it apart or add a mod, I can see why the Devs did this but ya man it sucks, like the hunting rifle if you put it away .00000001 to early doesn't load. I was not a I suck problem is was a mechanic you did not know was in game, flip a coin.

Archived