Can we fix stealth please? Stop it with the barriers that aggro entire rooms.

Scyris

Ok, i've notice this for a while, The vanilla poi's often have rooms where stealth does 0, Second you walk into the room, you cross as a invisible barrier, and once you cross that it wakes up and aggros every sleeper on you no matter how high your stealth perks are. This kind of makes stealth completly pointless if your going to do this, and in some poi's there are so many sleeper volumes like this that stealthing is just not worth the slowdown. One place you'll notice this is army post 7 (army_barracks_01 poi in vanilla), in the loot room, second u cross half a block into the room, the 3 zombies behind the walls at the back will aggro you no matter how quiet you are. However if you sit outside the room and do not cross this barrier, you can safely take them out with stealth, thankfully there is no obsticles and its a straight shot, but in most poi's its not that easy.

TL:DR Devs stop with the damn crap that makes everything in a sleeper volume aggro second you walk into the room even when making 0 noise and sneaking. As it makes investing in stealth a waste as some poi's are like this for almost every single room. Also no its not the garbage on the floor, if its in the way I usually destroy it first, also I love how you place that crap pretty much in the path your expected to take, often with piles of it on both sides of a door. One on outside one on inside.

That "barrier" you are speaking of is a known bug that they are working on solving. It isn't an intended feature of the game. Nobody is doing "damn crap" intending to wake all sleepers up and ruin stealth play. Why not inquire whether something that doesn't seem right might be a bug rather than assume they did it by intention and rant about it?

in any case, they know.

I second this, I get that there needs to be "Oh Sh**" moments in a zombie game like this, but if it ruins one of the "Styles" the game has put forth....if you (as developers) are going to make a set of skills revolving around stealth, there shouldn't be any (barring VERRRYY few) places that the skills can't excel at...aggro rooms in every POI? that's bullsh**....Aggro rooms in T5 rooms before the loot? yes, maybe...but not every one...

PS posted as Roland posted, so yeah, its BS, hopefully some small fix is upcoming in A19

Throwing this out there for info's sake.. Those glass and trash decals you see (usually infront of a door) are actually important. Stepping on one, even while crouched will make a sound. Very possible some of the times you have woken up a room was from stepping on one of those.

Always look up, if you see a cabinet, assume there is a Z in it and shoot it with a bow. Destroy paper, glass, etc that is in your way. if you can't move around the garbage bag, loot it, then destroy it.

The only stealth mechanic I dislike is that there seems to be an algorithmic progression on how much noise you make for how long you've been moving. It seems to me the devs want you to stealth, stop, wait the move again.

Throwing this out there for info's sake.. Those glass and trash decals you see (usually infront of a door) are actually important. Stepping on one, even while crouched will make a sound. Very possible some of the times you have woken up a room was from stepping on one of those.

Yes, In some cases, but I read a recent message by a tester who was working on trying to isolate certain sleeper volumes that seem to instantly trigger and wake all zombies simply by a player entering them. So it really exists as Scyris described in the OP and isn’t from stepping on a decal but is a known issue that they are working on fixing. But it also isn’t a feature they are intentionally adding and so need to be told to stop intentionally making stealth suck...

That "barrier" you are speaking of is a known bug that they are working on solving. It isn't an intended feature of the game. Nobody is doing "damn crap" intending to wake all sleepers up and ruin stealth play. Why not inquire whether something that doesn't seem right might be a bug rather than assume they did it by intention and rant about it?

in any case, they know.

I dunno, I reported that in the a18.4 b4 stable bug thread and was informed its a designed feature some designers use in poi's I mean in the army post number 7 it makes sense for there to be 3 zombies that aggro second you walk into the loot room. However, there are even some t1/2 house poi's where this instant aggro no matter what happens when there is nothing special in the room at all. What might be happening is as you said, for some reason its causing it to trigger in other sleeper volumes where it shouldn't be. This is the reply in the stable bug thread. Man the forum really shrunk that picture might be hard to read it. Was only lv 2 stealth at the time this happened, but i've had it also happen with level 4 and 5. As well when using padded/light armor only.[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t0 Size:\t58.9 KB ID:\t1721597","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1721597","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

922f88bf2dc4c356923c726e8ff4cc53.png.851230df81a068dd8bc1a261bb3f2d65.png

I second this, I get that there needs to be "Oh Sh**" moments in a zombie game like this, but if it ruins one of the "Styles" the game has put forth....if you (as developers) are going to make a set of skills revolving around stealth, there shouldn't be any (barring VERRRYY few) places that the skills can't excel at...aggro rooms in every POI? that's bullsh**....Aggro rooms in T5 rooms before the loot? yes, maybe...but not every one...

PS posted as Roland posted, so yeah, its BS, hopefully some small fix is upcoming in A19

Yeah i'd expect to get jumped in the loot room when I enter it, but not some random room in a poi that has nothing of value. Hopefully they fix the issue, when its the slow zombies its not too big a deal, but later on when its nothing but ferals and radiated zombies, that stealth killer is going to hurt.

Players with sufficient points in stealth ought to be the perpetrators of jump-scares, not the targets, amirite? Rooms with jump-scare triggers (not the trash-piles) just need to have a stealth check added to them, so the ninjas can pass freely. I'm a bumbling idiot and I also play one in this game so I can't complain that everybody wakes up when I "sneak" around POIs. Drives my co-op partner crazy. But I craft all his mods so he can STHU.

I dunno, I reported that in the a18.4 b4 stable bug thread and was informed its a designed feature some designers use in poi's I mean in the army post number 7 it makes sense for there to be 3 zombies that aggro second you walk into the loot room. However, there are even some t1/2 house poi's where this instant aggro no matter what happens when there is nothing special in the room at all. What might be happening is as you said, for some reason its causing it to trigger in other sleeper volumes where it shouldn't be. This is the reply in the stable bug thread. Man the forum really shrunk that picture might be hard to read it. Was only lv 2 stealth at the time this happened, but i've had it also happen with level 4 and 5. As well when using padded/light armor only.[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t0 Size:\t58.9 KB ID:\t1721597","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1721597","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Interesting...Schaanz was the tester I was referring to who was looking into it so maybe it is an intended design after all. I agree with you that stealth shouldn’t be invalidated by uncontrollable triggers that can never be beat. They should put a higher threshold on this jump scare volumes so that if you get to a certain level of stealth you can even enter those and not aggro the sleepers as long as you’re careful.

Ok, i've notice this for a while, The vanilla poi's often have rooms where stealth does 0, Second you walk into the room, you cross as a invisible barrier, and once you cross that it wakes up and aggros every sleeper on you no matter how high your stealth perks are. This kind of makes stealth completly pointless if your going to do this, and in some poi's there are so many sleeper volumes like this that stealthing is just not worth the slowdown. One place you'll notice this is army post 7 (army_barracks_01 poi in vanilla), in the loot room, second u cross half a block into the room, the 3 zombies behind the walls at the back will aggro you no matter how quiet you are. However if you sit outside the room and do not cross this barrier, you can safely take them out with stealth, thankfully there is no obsticles and its a straight shot, but in most poi's its not that easy.

TL:DR Devs stop with the damn crap that makes everything in a sleeper volume aggro second you walk into the room even when making 0 noise and sneaking. As it makes investing in stealth a waste as some poi's are like this for almost every single room. Also no its not the garbage on the floor, if its in the way I usually destroy it first, also I love how you place that crap pretty much in the path your expected to take, often with piles of it on both sides of a door. One on outside one on inside.

I have noticed the opposite. Sleepers not waking allowing me to stealth shoot most of them...

As someone who builds prefabs, I havent seen any artificial barriers that wake up all sleepers. Sleeper volumes sure but that only controls when the sleepers spawn in....asleep...?

Will see if I can test the army barracks for u.

Yes, and the opposite is also broken.

Being able to stand outside a room and snipe the zeds on the other side of a room through a door one by one and none of the other zeds wake up.

A gun fire within a certain distance, even from outside the room, or even outside the POI (at close nough distance), aught to wake them up.

Plus I wish they were more awake at night! Ie at night sound travels further and that's the time when zeds are supposedly more active!?

I think stealth is fine, if not broken the other way... I get to "here's Johnny" through walls with my fireaxe to get a nice position for headshots against the glowing sleepers and nobody notices.

Stealth builds are my favorite and once you get to late stages of that build, it's pretty much one-hit-wonder with no retaliation and no other zombies waking up.

I don't mind this, as the alternative is the idiotic concept of having to shoot zombies point blank five times in the head to put them down.

Stealth allows me to ramp up the difficulty without suffering too much from the bullet sponge retardedness.

Most attributes give you the feel of being OP (maybe with the exception of perception because range isn't such an advantage in this game, but I still have to actually test that) once maxed out.

I'm playing strength at the moment while I have traditionally have always played stealth/agility. My impression is that the strength build is at least as strong as agi/stealth in power and is arguably easier to play, especially on horde nights. So definitely not broken the other way

I'm playing max Int build and I just put ladders up the side of the POI and steal the loot without getting into fights. Like a smart person would. :congratulatory:

I do kinda think that if stepping on that small bit of trash wakes up the POI then me bashing in the boarded-up windows from the outside ought to do the same. It'll get better* I'm sure.

*For certain definitions of 'better'

Archived