No animals for 2 straight days?

n8sbee

I have 600+ hours on this game and not being able to find an animal for two straight days has never happened to me before. (Even one day I always find at least one animal).

I am playing with two other people and usually I always keep us filled with food whether it be from questing, buried treasure, buying food from machines, or just hunting and farming. This time around I decided to go for the farming first. Around day 9-10 I have a few plant crops and have a decent amount of eggs. I went looking for animals to hunt. I walked over 20 km, and over 2 days (2 hours) I did not come across a single animal. I think this is ridiculous.

I have never had this much of a problem finding animals. I can usually find 2-4 a day. I put points into farming and huntsman/master chef. If I have to put some in animal tracking I'll go that route, but again this has never happened to me before where I couldn't find animals. Can someone please tell me if this is normal when you have a couple more people on the server.

Like maybe the animals are spawning near them and not me?

They were mainly building our base for defenses and looting a couple houses so they weren't looking for food.

I have played this game a ton, and have never had this problem, can anyone tell me if it's normal towalk this far through multiple different biomes and not find any bores/rabbits/snakes/wolves/deers/stags.

(sorry don't mean to rant just extremely frustrated I sprinted for two days looking for animals and found zero.)

I went 7 straight days without seeing a single animal... and I spent 2 full days doing nothing but searching for them in the forest biomes too. 60 minute days normal settings, server with 3 players, only 1 of which found a few deer.

So I just made a game where I gave myself the animal tracking skill under perception and put 3 points into it while flying around and testing. There are animals out there, but most are rabbits/chickens, and even when flying around and spotting/tracking animals, I realize there are just way less than there use to be over the years I have played. The animal tracking perk will help, but I still think the lack of animals is ridiculous.

you'll find deer mostly when you AREN'T looking for them...I do a hunting trip, 1-2 rabbits and lots of Zeds...try and do a loot trip? 3 deer, 1 pig and a bear....it just seems that when you LOOK for live food, its scarce, but when you are doing something else, it always seems to be around....its the whole "bad things always happen when I do X" (conundrum)...

(PS, my spelling is atrocious, so if I misspelled that, I'm sorry XD )

I find animals when I'm exploring an area that I haven't been in before. That might be hard for you and your friends with so much time in the game. This morning I went to a new area in the snow biome and found a pig and a cat. I hadn't seen anything in the areas near it because I've explored those extensively

For what it is worth, animal spawns are tweaked in the very same place that zombie spawns are tweaked. Roland has a great pinned thread about tweaking zombies; just look for the "FriendlyAnimalsXXXXX" entries and adjust accordingly.

Note that by default, animals have a 21-day respawn delay. So if you've been hunting quite a bit, going 3 weeks without seeing an animal is not out of the question. We modded ours down to 10 days and, in hindsight, it was too much. We are swimming in meat and with Hobo Stew being a pretty decent food we don't even use the meat that much now.

I find animals when I'm exploring an area that I haven't been in before. That might be hard for you and your friends with so much time in the game. This morning I went to a new area in the snow biome and found a pig and a cat. I hadn't seen anything in the areas near it because I've explored those extensively

Animals have 21 day I think respawn times normally, so your best bet is to go to parts of the map no one has been to before, if your just going through area's you've already been through before you'd have probably killed the animals already and won't be any there. Exploration is key. If your going through the same area's you been through this is why your not finding any due to their respawn cycles.

Next point is there is a global spawn limit, once thats hit, nothing will spawn period till the old ones get killed, or timeout (if they even timeout in vanilla that is), Thats why if your doing a ton of exploring, after a short while, you'll notice you never see wandering zombies anymore period, its because you've hit the set spawn limit and the game can't spawn anymore in. Can fix this somewhat by editing the max alive for zombies and animals settings. The other way is to go back to main menu and reload the save to despawn everything, and if the respawn delay is up, it'll spawn new things.

I do a ton of questing myself, its a good way to get supplies early and gives me something to focus on. I'm on day 6 on 60 min days, and I have a stack and a half of raw meat sitting in storage I haven't needed to use due to looting food, and buying it off trader/vending machines, mostly vending machines as I never take intel in my builds, as I can just get the recipes from loot, and the bonuses for specing in int just aren't worth the wasted points early game. I also never junk turret cheese poi's I don't ever use them.

POI

Animals in the wild are totally unreliable. Mark a bobs boars for meat and bear dens for bones and you will be swimming in mats. POI re spawn every 3 days I think and there are like 8 boars in bobs - more than enough.

POI

Animals in the wild are totally unreliable. Mark a bobs boars for meat and bear dens for bones and you will be swimming in mats. POI re spawn every 3 days I think and there are like 8 boars in bobs - more than enough.

Also is that one poi that says, Beware, Pug, Snek, Human, Dog etc on the side, there is usually a boar or 2 in there. Hell in the bobs boards poi if grace respawns every 3 days, you could have a hatch to get to it and kill it every 3 days, that mutated boar gives massive amounts of materials.

I went 7 straight days without seeing a single animal... and I spent 2 full days doing nothing but searching for them in the forest biomes too. 60 minute days normal settings, server with 3 players, only 1 of which found a few deer.

Similar. I don't mind bugs, but I mind when people defend bugs. Which is a super bizarre behavior I see on some game forums. I have been playing since A5??? I think. They also got real stupid where canned food somehow now lasts forever without spoiling, but freshly cooked meat will give you food poisoning. Great. They really need to finish and release this baby and move on at some point.

Similar. I don't mind bugs, but I mind when people defend bugs. Which is a super bizarre behavior I see on some game forums. I have been playing since A5??? I think. They also got real stupid where canned food somehow now lasts forever without spoiling, but freshly cooked meat will give you food poisoning. Great. They really need to finish and release this baby and move on at some point.

not a bug, canned food last a very long time past even its expiry date, and even well cooked food has a IRL chance of not agreeing with your stomach...

Ya know in 18.4 I have never had a problem finding animals. Although, I usually don't kill them all. I would guess people who can't find them are removing the ones currently spawned in the chunk they are spending the most time in. I imagine the same rules apply to zeds not spawning after you clear a chunk. Animals must spawn under similar rules I suspect.

Archived