Question about blade trap block mechanics

gaffers

Couple of questions that I can't find already answered;

Can I place trigger plates on spaces that the blades move over?

Do darts firing through the blade spaces (not the centre square of the blade trap) damage the blade trap? Of course, I mean where the darts are firing at the same block height as the blade trap.

I'm just theory crafting in my head until I can get online later, so please excuse not just testing it myself!

I think that all the 3x3 blocks will be occupied by the blade trap, so as per usual, blocks that occupy a a block space cannot be occupied by another block, I also do not think the dart traps will interfere with the blade traps at all, however I am sure your own fire of bullets or arrows will damage them.

I am in the process of making 48 of them myself, I have 41 now so I am not too far away. They cost an insane amount of oil, so I would suggest if you make them yourself, you stock up on empty cans and oil shale and have access to a chemistry station.

Couple of questions that I can't find already answered;

Can I place trigger plates on spaces that the blades move over?

Only if the blade trap is placed at least one block higher. The blade trap occupies an area of 3x3 and one block height.

Do darts firing through the blade spaces (not the centre square of the blade trap) damage the blade trap? Of course, I mean where the darts are firing at the same block height as the blade trap.

I'm just theory crafting in my head until I can get online later, so please excuse not just testing it myself!

Yes, the dart trap shoots through the blades of the blade trap.

I have built and tested this setup, and I can confirm the darts will not damage the blade traps. As others noted, the only way to use the blade trap and trigger plate is if the blade trap is 2 blocks high. However, this setup does not work for demolishers, since the blade trap activates their detonation. From my experience, they do not mesh well in the current alpha.

I did create a video of the setup I believe you’re thinking of, link below. You’ll quickly see the problem ?

(Haven't tested in 18.4, but at least this used to behave like this)

You can rotate the trigger plate, so that it occupies the top face of a block. (advanced rotation from the "reload"-menu) That way you can use it as a floor underneath the blade trap, with the zeds behaving like normal. It's just replacing your floor blocks.

It's a lot weaker than other floor options, it won't deal with demos popping... then again, neither will your blade trap - might actually be useful to break the path if you're losing the trap anyway ... :)

If you want "local" triggers, remember the trip wire posts as well.. :)

Archived