Underground base enetrance

bobrpggamer

I do not plan to fight or hide underground I just want an entrance so I do not have to climb over spikes to get up to my base platform. I will use the tunnel just to get to the base and then stay above ground the entire bloodmoon, my base platform will be 3 blocks high, so the line of sight would be all 4 sides and up. I just want to know if during the bloodmoon if any zombies would detect the tunnel if I am not underground, if I am underground then yeah they would detect me.

Thank you for replying though.

Depends on ease of access. If there's an easy way to get to your underground base, they might be inclined to break into there and come up. If you break their path for the "come up" part, as in have a suitable jump on the path or way too long a path or something similar, they won't try that way even if they could just walk in there. Or if your route through your horde defenses is the only way in to the underground base, they won't dig. They actually avoid destroying terrain blocks if they see any other options, no matter how much steel it is to beat through...

Im building a horde base with a 3x5 powered garage door entrance to an underground parking garage. Will have a video once we do our first horde night...demos included hopefully.

The garage entrance will double as a horde funnel point ... in theory lol

bloodmoon will always find you, hiding underground doesn't work, so yeah, diggers will find you

Bloodmoon is ALWAYS supposed to be a threat

You can literally run away from BM hordes on foot without any beer or stamina boosters and once you get far enough away from where they spawned, they despawn or just stop pursuing you altogether. Using a vehicle makes it a 10 second escape. Or you can just get on the roof of a brick/concrete building and knock out stairs/ladders and just afk the whole night, even on high gamestage blood moons.

You can literally run away from BM hordes on foot without any beer or stamina boosters and once you get far enough away from where they spawned, they despawn or just stop pursuing you altogether. Using a vehicle makes it a 10 second escape. Or you can just get on the roof of a brick/concrete building and knock out stairs/ladders and just afk the whole night, even on high gamestage blood moons.

Not for long....?

You can also place a ladder to a bridge over your spikes. As long as the bottom block does not have a ladder the zeds will not use it but you still can

Well my usual base design is to have a ramp for my motorcycle, but this is temp base version 2, my first temp base I am using now will be obliterated when the demnolshers come by. I can make the tunnel very far away from spawning zombies I guess. I figure about at least 60-80 blocks long maybe. Does anyone know the base perimeter distance that the zombies spawn on bloodmoon? If i tunnel far enough past the spawn perimiter they will more than likely just go for line of sight, I do not mind making the tunnel extra long, this will save me from laying more ledges as I have a set of 2 rows of blade traps and a wall that is at the base of the base (yeah). That would be a ledge of about 10 blocks (with no supports in between) out to get over the wall I will put up and it may be more costly, I could use a ramp to jump the wall but it would require careful practice and it was not really designed for that. I still have a way to go on the new base so I want to get it up and ready before demolishers come around.

Thank you for the replies guys.

This games selling point for me is base building, I love that part more than anything.

I have some screens to show you what I mean, the rebar frames are just to show what the wall will be and where as well as where the tunnel would start at the bottom of the base,, its missing the spike traps, but you can see It would be cool to avoid all the traps and spikes to get to my base without constantly making ladders or using boxes to jump up. There is also my original base so you can see that that guy will not stand the test of demolishers.

I figure that the wall will cause a funnel effect and it may set the demolishers into arm mode and only do damage to the wall and not harm the blade traps, giving me time to keep an eye on the holes in the wall so I can concentrate fire on that area, given the AI now like to attack weak areas they should all come in at only a few locations. The steel is ridiculously all around the outer base 2 deep on the inset areas and 4x4 solid on the towers. I even made the base floor 2 reinforced concrete blocks thick to keep as little holes in the platform as possible.

I could just make a massive top platform above it all and try to gyrocopter in, but it will not be big enough to land very easily and I will end up crashing 70% of the time more than likely, causing damage to the base and the gyrocopter.

20200323223142_1.thumb.jpg.11f334d9483317db3ab1862a9cae3254.jpg

20200323223156_1.thumb.jpg.a089bb6ef5f84d3f30d89fc5ed0c83b4.jpg

20200323223219_1.thumb.jpg.f04175a8186f2b9784a24f5feaf0edb8.jpg

20200323223311_1.thumb.jpg.c2aacc2a1fb361229bee0d2234d3f85d.jpg

Or you can just get on the roof of a brick/concrete building and knock out stairs/ladders and just afk the whole night, even on high gamestage blood moons.

Are you sure? Don't they chew through the walls block by block until the roof collapses out from under you? They seem pretty tenacious about destroying whatever's supporting you in A18.

I do not think the zombies will prefer to dig down to get into a (presumably reinforced) tunnel and then follow that tunnel to you if you are already higher than ground level. If you're standing on top of your base, they aren't going to find the 40-block-long tunnel 10 blocks underground leading away from your basement. Or, at least, they aren't going to see that as the preferred path.

I say that because I think there was a thread a few weeks back where a TFP team member or maybe Roland or SylenThunder mentioned that digging is a low-value pathing choice for the AI. If you're below them, they'll dig, but they prefer not to.

I may have hallucinated that.

I do not think the zombies will prefer to dig down to get into a (presumably reinforced) tunnel and then follow that tunnel to you if you are already higher than ground level. If you're standing on top of your base, they aren't going to find the 40-block-long tunnel 10 blocks underground leading away from your basement. Or, at least, they aren't going to see that as the preferred path.

I say that because I think there was a thread a few weeks back where a TFP team member or maybe Roland or SylenThunder mentioned that digging is a low-value pathing choice for the AI. If you're below them, they'll dig, but they prefer not to.

I may have hallucinated that.

Yeah, I think your correct, they won't start digging if you are above ground or stuck in a hole and cant jump out normally.

I went with a long top platform for the gyro instead, thanks for the advice,

Nice, you actually dont need much for landing but it requires decent flying skills (pitch up hard after nose dive) or the use of ejecting out before impact to stop the impact...?

Nice, you actually dont need much for landing but it requires decent flying skills (pitch up hard after nose dive) or the use of ejecting out before impact to stop the impact...?

I can land OK about 80% of the time, I find that if you get about less than 10-15 feet you can exit and the gyro will drop straight down taking little to no damage. The gyro may be a little better handling in A18 than A17 but it can still be tricky.

I may build the tunnel anyway for kicks, and because I need lots of clay right now. The gyro entrance is not really ideal to be honest and the idea of a massive motorcycle ramp would not really be ideal either.

Archived