Almost lost my entire game

bobrpggamer

I had a graphic garbage glitch of the GPU overheating variety and a reboot and I tried to load my game after the reboot and the save was corrupted and I could not start the game after 49 in-game days of work on my base and character.

I doubt this will happen again, but I wanted to say something and warn others to back up their save files in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves from time to time, I know I will do it more often now.

I luckily just changed the main.ttw.bak to main.ttw from the files that were in the save/game name/ and I got my game back, but that was pure luck really and I would not want this to happen to anyone else.

Really wish they would incorporate a feature that would keep multiple auto saves on file. Backing up your save game before you start playing is one thing, but losing hours of progress due to a software or hardware glitch is completely different.

I got a little batch file running in Windows Scheduler that backs it up daily, keeping a rolling 14 days' worth. I can sharez if anybody wants it. It's designed to back up a dedicated server and my local saves, but easily modifiable for local games only.

The problem with addictive games is that even on a game with a save feature, the more you like the game the less likely you will think to save the game because you are so busy enjoying it.

I may try to get a program to save the save folder automatically, I had one https://www.watchdirectory.net/ that was saving every single second somehow and I had a folder close to gigabytes in a couple of hours. There is a feature to save the folder based on a age of the folder but I cannot seem to get it to work right.

Archived