Farming Question

Rizzano

Ok so I have a problem and I cannot for the life of me figure out the issue.

Someone told me that you can have a sunlight shaft all the way down to bedrock and that a shaft like that, one block, you can plant seeds 7 blocks out from it. So I made a 15x15 farm. 7 blocks out from the center on all sides.

The problem is in some parts of the grid it refuses to let me plant a seed. And it makes no sense. For instance the top left corner, 7 blocks from the center light source, it won't let me plant anything.

However, straight down from the center, up to 6 block, it lets me plant but the 7th won't allow me to plant anything. BUT right next to it 7 blocks out I AM able to plant. Screenshot for reference.

It makes no sense. I thought maybe the problem was I needed more light source shafts but it lets me plant 7 blocks out in some spots but only 3 blocks out in other spots.

Any idea what the heck is going on that's blocking me from planting?

EDIT: It will let me plant mushrooms there, so it's not like something is blocking the seed. Also, yes, I've hoed the dirt.

noplanting.jpg.72f096bbda87d3b5b0157782d237eee6.jpg

Taxicab distance maybe? In taxicab distance it's not possible for 2 adjacent blocks to be exactly 7 blocks from a reference block. So for example

L******X
*******Y

If L is your light-shaft block, then X is 7 blocks away, but Y is 8 blocks away.

I have the same amount of headroom on every block. For shits and giggles, I cleared a few more blocks above the problematic areas. I cannot plant potatoes which should not require as much headroom as corn. I am not planting any trees, but earlier in the week I did test plant a tree and I only had 4 blocks headroom and it still planted and grew.

Taxicab distance maybe? In taxicab distance it's not possible for 2 adjacent blocks to be exactly 7 blocks from a reference block. So for example

L******X
*******Y

If L is your light-shaft block, then X is 7 blocks away, but Y is 8 blocks away.

Yes but I tested the same type of thing with a light source 2 blocks away and it wouldn't let me plant anything on that either. I had plenty of headroom. However in the same spot I can plant a tree.

Ok so it's really aggravating. I have a ladder shaft with a hatch on the opposite end of my base. I place a dirt block 2 blocks away from it, hoed it, and it will let me plant a seed, corn or potato. It also will let me plant a tree seed. I only have 3 blocks headroom.

Ok so I am figuring it HAS to do with light source. For some reason it's just not consistent though. Because I place dirt and hoe it in the middle of my base, tons of blocks away from any sunlight source, and it won't let me plant any seeds or trees. Mushrooms are the exception.

EDIT: Yep it was the light source, I made 8 more light shafts. I can plant everything now.

Aaaaand I just now realized that you're playing in an older version. Even though it should have been clear from your screenshot, duh.

I kinda miss actually tilling the land...

No I am not playing an older version. I am playing a modded version that has both types of farming.

I did see on one of Z-nation's youtube videos where he had to recalculate the light and that fixed a similar glitch he had. We can try that at your base (assuming you are the same Rizzano that is in my server).

Yep Tig, it's me, Rizzalicious! Same guy. Yeah I got it figured out. Me and Triggy had to make shafts every 4 blocks instead of 7. I am able to plant everything now. I am going to do the same thing for an underground tree farm.

Archived