ANGRY! Farming System is a pain on the ass!

Biscoitoso

Omg I REALLY hate the farming system in this game. Miss the old days when we farm with "E", now this damned system with hiting is really a pain on the ass.

There are 3x3 goldenrod farm plot.

1: Hit - miss the plant, hit the Farm Plot...

2: Hit - Harvest the plant.

3: Hit aiming the next plant... HIT THE DAMN SEED!

OMG! AWAYS HITING THE DAMN FARM BLOCK OR THE DAMN SEED! I really hate very much this way of farming! Plz developers solve that damn problem with seeds and plants hitbox, it is very annoying!

Harvesting does take patience and attention to detail. I always pause and make sure that I'm aiming at a living plant rather than a seed before I click.

I do it, but its cost time, I fell i like be as a surgeon to harvest exactly I want. But I dont want lost my time farming.

Picking the plant should go back to pressing e, never did like the change to hitting them. Other than that though the farming system has gotten a lot better.

I think they removed it cause some players was stealing crops from claimed zones. But it is easy to solve. Another problem was when players in mp servers was harvesting too fast and causing lag, but it can be solved in a very simple way: just put some time delay like we have to loot containers.

Anyway, all hitboxes in this game is bugged.

I think they removed it cause some players was stealing crops from claimed zones. But it is easy to solve. Another problem was when players in mp servers was harvesting too fast and causing lag, but it can be solved in a very simple way: just put some time delay like we have to loot containers.

Anyway, all hitboxes in this game is bugged.

And do you have any reasons to believe stealing cops was the cause? Never heard stealing crops was ever a hotly discussed topic in here.

I think the change came in A17 with the new farming system and as far as I remember it had completely technical reasons. Something to do with the internal representation of plants and how the GUI works.

corn, bluebeeries, potatoes, no issues with hitting to harvest.

coffee, red/yellow flowers, and mushrooms are a PITA!

harvesting the spores for 'shrooms is a pain too.

I've gone to a checkerboard pattern for the farms, as it's about the only way to reduce the rage when harvesting.

Oh, have to remember to remove something from the toolbar when harvesting, so that WHEN you miss, you don't destroy the farm plot.

I DO like the new plots vs the old fertilizer. Much easier to tell where to plant.

Yeah, the whole deal is annoying.. mostly the hitboxes. I would imagine it'd be better just to have a simple sphere hitbox at the root of the plants, you'd have to aim at the roots to hit them, but at least the leaves of the one you're standing on wouldn't catch your swings as much.

The lags with the E system always sounded like SI issues to me; the system somehow ended up recalculating the block support for the whole farm when picking one... picking with E was unlimitedly fast, so you'd have plenty of SI calcs running simultaneously. That's what it felt like, but I don't know where I got that idea from...

I think the stated (MM? some dev thread during the farm plot gate?) reason to go from E to punching was to get the harvesting "skillable", as in skills could easily modify the effects of attacks, but not the "use" events (as in, Living off the Land, get multipliers for harvest amounts). Sounded reasonablish..

Just get the hitboxes right and I'm out of complaints.

I agree on the annoyance of hitboxes for plants; but the yield and difficulty of crafting farm plots are a greater inconvenience to me than that. It has become impossible to replace all the corn stalks in the massive farm in Navezgane without resorting to cheating.

And do you have any reasons to believe stealing cops was the cause? Never heard stealing crops was ever a hotly discussed topic in here.

I think the change came in A17 with the new farming system and as far as I remember it had completely technical reasons. Something to do with the internal representation of plants and how the GUI works.

Not to mention that it would be a very cheap way to deal with the problem. If they are indeed planning to add a reputation system whenever they add NPCs, then that problem will be fixed in the future anyways.

i actually enjoy it. love not having to replant the seeds. yes it takes time to get a bunch of plots made up, but super easy once you get them. i plant in rows, but just place the plots on top of the ground/building and walk between the rows to harvest. the plants are at eye level and are super easy to harvest. always be on the look out for gut piles and also harvest any dogs that you kill.

Takes some time to get used to it, but meanwhile i hardly ever have issues. That gardening hoe was a pain in the ass, never want it back ever. Also no more reseeding, wich was way worse than harvesting now. I am good with farming as it is right now.

Repairing iron spikes tough... The hitbox on those is the real pain in the ass.

To keep it in perspective, farming in this game, never was fun. The plant design is a minimalistic solution to give renewable access to consumables.

At the current point you can do what you want, you will never satisfy a players need to enjoy farming.

If farming would be easier, e.g. by increasing yield by 1000% and enable splash harvesting, everybody would complain that it's too powerful, and when making it too difficult people like Biscoitoso will create threads like this.

In the end there is no solution for that problem with the current design, as it's boring at best and terribly annoying in the worst case.

I guess the only way to fix farming would be by a redesign of planting in common

By this I see reducing the number of plants, dividing them into different tiers of difficulty and increasing maintenance needs.

The effect should be an option to go simple planting or advanced, as the player wants to focus on it or not, which the current one-size-fits-all Design cannot fulfill.

Example:

T0 Corn

Low Yield, low effort:

Easy to make seeds, easy to plant. Many needed to be useful.

T1 Potatoe

Slow Growth, average effort:

Only one plant per 3x3 allowed, adequate yield, simple irrigation required

T2 Blueberry

High utility, high effort:

High skill needed for planting, needs irrigation/pest fighting

T3 Super Corn

High yield, high effort

Needs high skill so make seeds and artificial light

Repairing iron spikes tough... The hitbox on those is the real pain in the ass.

How To Repair Iron Spikes Around Your Base

© Boidster, 2020

STEP 1: Remove all forged steel from inventory because f*** no I don't want to upgrade the d**n concrete underneath the spikes STUPID POROUS HITBOX!!!

STEP 2: Upgrade spikes.

Fin.

None of my players farm anymore. Farming has been completely ruined, and just isn't worth the trouble. If we need food, we kill something or loot something. Farming was glorious when I could go hoe a field and plant corn and potatoes and stuff. Now you need those idiotic planter boxes...grrr...

With glorious you mean easier @zootal And it isn´t that complicated to get farming plots. A bit of rotting flesh is easily found, You get it when you harvest bones anyways. And you´d rather reseed every time (wich was a pain to do) you harvest than just put in the seed once and harvest over and over again? Really?

It´s amazing how people play a survival game but don´t wanna put any effort in surviving....

Archived