Can't aim at blocks any longer

Tahaan

Yesterday while adding to my horde base I started to experience a problem where the nailgun would not register whatever it was aiming at. Right in front of a rebar block, aiming stright at it, and can't upgrade it.

It happened over and over but only with some blocks.

What worked was to pick any other rebar frame, upgrade that, then aim back at the problematic one. Most of the time that would fix it. But sometimes I would literally have to run around to the back of the wall and upgrade it from that side.

I quit and restarted. The first few blocks then worked perfectly, after which it became frustrating again suddenly.

Other things that was impacted during the same session: Picking up wooden frames, placing wooden frames, Connecting wires to relays with the wiring tool, and acting on auto-turrets.

Another thing that helped was to try and aim right at the edge or the item I wanted to act on. It seemed like everything was just ridiculously difficult to aim at or use.

Some time ago I had an issue where trying to open the chem stations or workbench gave kind of similar results. I logged that as a bug, but that problem seems to have disappeared since.

I am hoping this problem will also disappear... but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is a save from 18.3 I think.

The problem only start yesterday. But I've been playing this game since 18.3 days.

Mostly the aim being off seems to affect only the nailgun. Normal aiming at a storage box to open it (when not holding a nail gun) is un-affected.

When this happens again I will record a video.

It is a save from 18.3 I think.

The problem only start yesterday. But I've been playing this game since 18.3 days.

Mostly the aim being off seems to affect only the nailgun. Normal aiming at a storage box to open it (when not holding a nail gun) is un-affected.

When this happens again I will record a video.

The thing is, a number of people reported varying kinds of hitbox weirdness in their 18.3 games after the 18.4 update. For most it was blocks, whereas I couldn't hit the broad size of a zed with my newly crafted iron club.

I admit it seems unlikely, but it could be that the issue has finally caught up with you...

It would be hard to test. I have a specific 18.4 "new start" test game where I use Creative mode to test things and to try and see if I can reproduce issues that I have in my normal game. I'm going to wait for it to happen again, and then see if I can replicate the issue in the test game.

In the mean time what makes this really hard is how intermittend it is.

When it happens, it seems like some blocks are affected, while others work just fine. I would for example be able to upgrade or repair one block but the one next to it just won't register.

At other times I have no issue at all.

I did take a screenshot once showing that the land claim "area" did not end on a block - it kinda sits in the middle between blocks. I'd show that screenshot but I've reached my limit for uploads on this forum.

I did take a screenshot once showing that the land claim "area" did not end on a block - it kinda sits in the middle between blocks. I'd show that screenshot but I've reached my limit for uploads on this forum.

I noticed that too. I had never paid close attention to the border before, so even though it was unexpected I assumed it was normal.

When it does this hit the F1 key and see if there are errors in the console. I've seen similar behavior and noted that if I aim just at the very topmost edge of the block it will work.

Going out of the game and back in resets it. I've also noticed with that, safes, forges, and doors disappearing in my peripheral view. All that is there is the shadow until I turn toward it.

Not at my PC now, but the error is spamming the console with yellow text to the effect of "default render pipeline failed, using default shader".

I'm playing on my dedicated server from my PC. All on 18.4 b4 exp.

When it does this hit the F1 key and see if there are errors in the console. I've seen similar behavior and noted that if I aim just at the very topmost edge of the block it will work.

Going out of the game and back in resets it. I've also noticed with that, safes, forges, and doors disappearing in my peripheral view. All that is there is the shadow until I turn toward it.

Not at my PC now, but the error is spamming the console with yellow text to the effect of "default render pipeline failed, using default shader".

I'm playing on my dedicated server from my PC. All on 18.4 b4 exp.

I can confirm that when this happens, I also have to aim ad the edges of the blocks. Same with picking up frames.

I did not notice the other things you mentionedbut will pay attention next time.

Archived