Agricultural Playstyle - Terrain & Farming

Dracula

For those of us who want to play the game as a farming/desolate wasteland simulator, the lack of proper yields on harvesting of crops is maddening. The yield for blueberries is far too low and should be 50 to 100 per plant based off of how many are seen on the plant and real-world use. Pies should also require around 700-800 in keeping with this.

Though, the main thing I miss is the garden hoe. The farm plots are unrealistic and a colossal pain in the ass when you're playing without enemies. 99% of my game has become scavenging for random flesh piles so I can craft another plot or two.

Lastly; has anyone else noticed that the texture of placed terrain is unchanged no matter what you replace it with? I used to love making a crisp, green lawn; now it's all brown patched cities unless I build exclusively in a forest biome.

Nice green lawns turning to gravel or whatever is intended. Apparently TFP don't want us to ruin their apocalyptic terrain with any sort of beautification. I also hate the new farming. I liked having a cement mixer beside my farm and using it as a composter. Does anyone else have the problem where you plant a seed in a planter and it immediately "falls" out of the planter? wasted so many seeds with these damn boxes.

Nice green lawns turning to gravel or whatever is intended. Apparently TFP don't want us to ruin their apocalyptic terrain with any sort of beautification. I also hate the new farming. I liked having a cement mixer beside my farm and using it as a composter. Does anyone else have the problem where you plant a seed in a planter and it immediately "falls" out of the planter? wasted so many seeds with these damn boxes.

If it's intended to turn all the terrain from green to gravel, that will ruin half my fun and I'm liable to give up the game outright. With 3,109 hours logged in this game, I've stood by questionable decision after questionable decision; I believe I started playing around Alpha 4, but if this terrain issue isn't resolved, both my wife and I will be giving up the game.

I got so sick of it that I rolled the game back to Alpha 16 without stupid digging zombies, obscure skill trees with no explanation of what perks are needed to unlock what attributes, having to buy each tool perk for better tools, crafting above level 5, farm plots, or uneditable terrain. It's a bad sign when I have to go backwards to enjoy the game.

It seems as far as dirt goes, if you dig out gravel and place forest ground, it will turn to gravel texture. If you dig out burnt and replace it with forest, you get burnt. It's something to do with the new terrain mesh(?). I'm sure someone with more info will come along. Someone will probably even explain that is part of the new and improved design, even if it sucks.

It seems as far as dirt goes, if you dig out gravel and place forest ground, it will turn to gravel texture. If you dig out burnt and replace it with forest, you get burnt. It's something to do with the new terrain mesh(?). I'm sure someone with more info will come along. Someone will probably even explain that is part of the new and improved design, even if it sucks.

Has there ever been an official statement on this matter?

Nothing I could find.

New Terrain Blending' date=' New Unity Distant Terrain & PBR Terrain Textures[/b']

We have integrated a new terrain shader that blends the terrain textures in a much more natural way. ...

Not certain but I'd wager it's related to that.

There's reading between the lines and then there's finding "War and Peace" in the punctuation.

I had assumed that referred to the meshing of biomes; ergo no more random spots peppered at the edges or the texture overhaul that gave all the terrains new looks.

There is the hospital and bobs boars (those two alone give you enough for a big farm), army camps, butcher pete and a few other poi´s with corpses. And roadkills, those carcasses on the streets. Even without enemies there is no shortage on rotten flesh. Especially when you don´t have to care about getting enough ammo and defenses, you have more than enough time to collect all the roadkills. If you collect every roadkill for 2 days you get a lot of it. For a SP game you need like 12 for starting a garden with the essentials that can feed you.

Another plot costs you 10 if you didn´t skill living of the land. If you did it´s 7 if you got level 2 and on level 3 it´s 5 rotting flesh per plot. Level 2 can be done with the 4 points you get from the starter quest. I don´t see how getting 10 rotting flesh for 2 plots would take 99% of your time. Also with level 4 in living of the land you harvest 3 per crop. Wich gives you a lot of food you will never eat. I don´t see why you would need thousands of blueberries?

I just did a day one without enemies, all default settings, went to the hospital straght away after the tutorial quest line, just looted some canned food on the way there. Then i went to the farm to set up my camp for the night. I got 132 pieces of rotting flesh before 22:00. On day one. With a bone shiv. And i have enough canned food for the next day. Get your quests on tier 5 and do the hospital daily. No more shortage on rotting flesh.

Also playing without enemies is a self made challenge if you wanna do a lot of farming. Game is ofc balanced on default settings wich includes enemies. You want a farming simulator wich this game just isn´t. Farming is in the game to give you food to survive. Not to build an actual farm. Wich is still possible even without enemies.

And why anyone would want that akward hoe back is beyond me. So annoying and slow to use, also spreading the fertilizer was a pain.

There is modding also, you could just set the amount of rotting flesh neede per plot to one and the harvesting can be adjusted to your needs also. From what i know that shouldn´t be more than a few tweaks in the XML.

Or I can roll back to a version that better suits my play style.

I'll try Aplha 19 if they fix things to where it becomes more enjoyable, but I like being able to walk down a street and see rows of pristine buildings with manicured lawns.

There's a game literaly called Farming Simulator that exists, which is without all of the hassle you accuse the game of.

I mean, if i wanna play a game about zombie apocalypse survival, i wont buy... Farming Simulator. ??‍♂️

That’s fair in regards to farming itself but there are some eople who enjoy reclaiming and renovating the dirty apocalyptic POIs into clean and beautiful buildings and landscapes. Such gameplay isn’t covered by either Rising World nor Farming Simulator but is so close to being possible in this game. In fact, it used to be possible which is the frustrating part which I can understand.

However, the reality is that such gameplay has always been coincidental and not the design goal of the developers. So it is unlikely that they will spend intentional time on it and it is unfortunate if such gameplay is your reason for playing.

Rising world does have farming. And the houses can be built waaay more pristine than in 7 days. We can´t even come close to that level here. Not even nice looking curtains in the game....

I'm a fan of RW (moreso than 7D if I'm honest), but I'd say it's actually less suited to OP's desires than 7D. The survival aspect is very shallow ATM. Not to mention it doesn't seem like he wants to construct buildings himself, much less take the time to do it with RW's plank and beam system.

Rising world does have farming. And the houses can be built waaay more pristine than in 7 days. We can´t even come close to that level here. Not even nice looking curtains in the game....

There is a difference between building and renovating. I was talking about the latter. Rising World to my knowledge doesn’t have pre-existing rundown and partially destroyed locations that can be fixed up.

There is a difference between building and renovating. I was talking about the latter. Rising World to my knowledge doesn’t have pre-existing rundown and partially destroyed locations that can be fixed up.

Exactly. I don't think there are even any plans for placing buildings beyond the rare, very rundown hovel-shacks that exist now.

A large part of the enjoyment comes from finding random cities to recreate; in the desert, I've dug ditches and tunnels to create a similar setup to the San Antonio riverwalk by putting bridges over gaps and holes.

The problem with some of the other games that are mentioned is that there's a bit too much of a "blank slate" to work with. It's fun to imagine a sort of "Omega Man" situation in which I'm the last man alive and I've taken to rebuilding society. If I find a bombed-out building with no content, restoring it leaves an empty warehouse, but when you have paper mills, carpet stores, bookstores, etc. you can rebuild the illusion of a functional city.

QUOTE=Dracula;n1723751]It's fun to imagine a sort of "Omega Man" situation in which I'm the last man alive and I've taken to rebuilding society.

Be careful. Back in the day I liked to imagine myself in place of Will Smith in "I Am Legend" and I've since become a miserable old bastard.

coronavirus-quarantine-jokes-454552-5e78c470a8976__700.thumb.jpg.d2da9ee47bb325340ae07ecc633eea46.jpg

It's fun to imagine a sort of "Omega Man" situation in which I'm the last man alive and I've taken to rebuilding society.

And now that Trader Jen has an attractive female voice, it won't be so awkward and reminiscent of that one weekend your freshman year in college. You know, the "somebody put something in my drink I SWEAR" weekend...

Archived