4x4 or motorcycle?

ElCabong

I have always managed to make the motorcycle. the first time I played alpha 18, I got my motorcycle by day four. I bought a crucible from the trader on day 2. They say a man makes his own luck but really he doesn't. Nobody makes luck. He takes advantage of it when it appears, I bought that crucible after doing a few quests and selling things I didn't want to sell.

In my last play through, I got the gyrocopter with some similar luck from the trader. Very interesting, please don't do anything to make it steer better.

I have never got the 4 x 4 schematics before I started a new game

This time I have looted both 4x4 schematics the day after I made my motorcycle. Go figure. Luck is not a lady, she's something that rhymes with witch.

I love the motorcycle. I have a hard time seeing how the 4x4 would be more fun but is it better? I know you can store more stuff in it but I don't see that as being a big deal.

I've had both. The 4x4 has more storage space than the motorcycle, and seats 2 (handy for multiplayer), and is slightly slower than the motorcycle, and isn't very good off-road. If you can live without the extra storage space, and you don't have passengers to transport, the motorcycle is just fine.

The 4x4 is just that: a vehicle with large storage capacity. Its in fact very useful to move your stuff in huge quantities between 2 places. Some people have their main hideout and horde forteress separated from each other. So i can see the commodity of it.

The motorcycle is usually my main vehicle but i still own a Jeep for long looting runs.

The 4x4 is just that: a vehicle with large storage capacity.

When you phrase it like that, I can't help but wonder if the complaints about its lack of player capacity would be ameliorated by allowing additional players to board as cargo, taking up some storage space...

BUT I DON'T WANT TO GO IN THE TRUNK!

They do need to make the 4x4 more...4x4-ish. It ought not to get hung up on the same little bumps and hills that the street hog or minibike do. It ought to scale all but the steepest hills with aplomb, and run over anything smaller than a tree or a boulder/ore node. Cacti and yucca should just explode when you hit them. Fences should break instantly. Mailboxes should go flying (like the zombies seem to do).

Motorcycle for speed and everyday usage, 4X4 for when you wanna wrench whole buildings to the ground for supplies or for moving base locations....4X4's boxy design gets caught on EVERY small incline in the terrain, and I also think the motorcycle might (can't prove myself) be more fuel efficient

It climbs hills maybe a little bit better than the motorcycle, and it does seem to do more damage - it will be stopped dead by one of the stunted pine trees, but after about two hits the tree will break. But if you try to drive over, say, the iron I-beam scrap piles, it will stop dead. Eventually the I-beams will break and you can continue on.

Basically, I practice the same small obstacle avoidance in the 4x4 as I do with any other vehicle.

I has a very weird shift pattern (and has had it for several versions). Like a wind-up in 1st gear and then it somehow downshifts to higher RPM as it goes faster. Maybe that's when the VTEC kicks in yo.

2020 Navezgane Road/Air Rally Results

Race distance: 512m, straight line [TABLE=border: 1, cellpadding: 3]

[TR]

[TD]Vehicle[/TD]

[TD]Speed[/TD]

[TD]Time (s)[/TD]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[TD]Velocity

(m/s)[/TD]

[TD]Efficiency

(m/fuel)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Bicycle[/TD]

[TD]Slow[/TD]

[TD]104.63[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]4.89[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fast[/TD]

[TD]53.87[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]9.50[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Minibike[/TD]

[TD]Slow[/TD]

[TD]76.47[/TD]

[TD]34[/TD]

[TD]6.70[/TD]

[TD]15.06[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fast[/TD]

[TD]53.43[/TD]

[TD]66[/TD]

[TD]9.58[/TD]

[TD]7.76[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorcycle[/TD]

[TD]Slow[/TD]

[TD]58.51[/TD]

[TD]67[/TD]

[TD]8.75[/TD]

[TD]7.64[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fast[/TD]

[TD]38.98[/TD]

[TD]134[/TD]

[TD]13.13[/TD]

[TD]3.82[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4x4 Truck[/TD]

[TD]Slow[/TD]

[TD]58.21[/TD]

[TD]129[/TD]

[TD]8.80[/TD]

[TD]3.97[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]Fast[/TD]

[TD]41.28[/TD]

[TD]261[/TD]

[TD]12.40[/TD]

[TD]1.96[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gyrocopter (ground)[/TD]

[TD]Slow[/TD]

[TD]60.39[/TD]

[TD]88[/TD]

[TD]8.48[/TD]

[TD]5.82[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD](in-air results basically same)[/TD]

[TD]Fast[/TD]

[TD]38.85[/TD]

[TD]178[/TD]

[TD]13.18[/TD]

[TD]2.88[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Motorcycle - great all around with more speed and better agility.

4x4 - Got to pick up a friend 5 km away? Want uber to drive while you're sipping your whisky on the way to the next quest? 4x4

Skip gyrocopter and go straight to "real" helicopter, Dirt bike, Charger, Mustang, military jeep, Golf cart, Sherp, Dingy, or a ton of other vehicles using BDub's modlet, etc.

@Boidster Or you both take a 4x4 and have even more storage? Loot runs in distant cities basically ask for that. Even with 2 4x4´s we sometimes need to come back because we can´t fit all inside.

Also be prepared that vehicles will take damage when going offroad in future versions. I wonder if that will actually affect the 4x4 wich is an offroad vehicle...

Sure, but can a gyro-copter do the Kessel Run in less than 12 Degrees Fahrenheit?

-Morloc

it kinda depends on what you want.

imo i think the Motorcycle is faster and takes less fuel and less fuel is a Big Deal for me!

The 4x4 is good for Cargo and if you have frends (i don;t)

...but is it better? I know you can store more stuff in it but I don't see that as being a big deal.

Short answer, no. It's slower, if you use a vehicle storage mod you don't get the bonus there, it has far more bugs, and bounces off of practically everything. I tried the 4x4 a couple times and hated it. Also, do not log out of the game while standing on top of it. You will learn what re-entry feels like. It launches your character up into the sky and flips the vehicle. I've found more ways to try to kill myself with the 4x4 than I ever have with all of the other vehicles combined.

It's slower, if you use a vehicle storage mod you don't get the bonus there

I use speed mod instead and then 4x4 is the fastest of all vehicles. Of course that is on top of a larger trunk for items.

The physics leaves a lot to be desired and I will occasionally use the motorcycle still but my preferred means of transportation is the truck.

• 3 weeks later...
Motorcycle for speed and everyday usage, 4X4 for when you wanna wrench whole buildings to the ground for supplies or for moving base locations....4X4's boxy design gets caught on EVERY small incline in the terrain, and I also think the motorcycle might (can't prove myself) be more fuel efficient

Yeah thats why I don't use the 4x4, its very slow acceleration wise, and it does get caught on every little tiny incline, one time going to a quest 1 km away I had to get up and pick up/replace the truck 6 frigging times as it kept getting stuck on little bumps. After that, I never use it, I stick to the motorcycle. It has to do with the physics engine 7dtd uses, as rl jeeps can climb hills like a frigging champ.

So yeah, i'm in the motorcycle camp myself. Never planning to touch the 4x4 again tbh, its just a horrid vehicle in the game.

Archived