Farming Plots vs. Hoes DEATHMATCH

Boidster

Farming Plots vs. Hoes DEATHMATCH  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Farming Plots vs. Hoes DEATHMATCH

• Farm Plots are clearly superior; it takes a special kind of stupid to think otherwise
    • Hoes are legit survival realism; Farm Plots are for carebear n00bs

With the understanding that the game is not likely to change no matter how we vote and this is just for fun and also to spark a forum-engulfing flame-war that will get at least six of us banned...

Which method of farming do you prefer?

I voted farm plots because I think they have better potential than the old method as well as better balance control over farm sizes. Unfortunately, farming has always been an afterthought with these developers so I think that it will take mods to bring farm plots to their full potential.

I’d actually like to see the hoe be still involved somehow with the process. Like maybe crafting a farm plot resource and then using the hoe to upgrade a terrain block with the farm plot resource being consumed. The end result is the same but you get the hoe action.

I went for the old method as farming irl has never required a special box to be built before planting anything.

There are also major problems with the soil/block boundary which should have been solved before any change were made. Unfortunately, many of the vanilla POI's are using a horrible hack to get around this which has led to a situation where any attempt to rectify the problem will lead to far more work than should have been necessary. When your own POI designers are having to hack the system to get something that looks decent there are fundamental problems which should have been solved long ago. With the addition of new POI's every alpha there's likely to be even more work to implement a real fix as time goes by.

A kludge != a fix.

Horse GIF LOL.

Look, I'm cooped up at home just like y'all are and if I need to get my entertainment by poll-erizing flame wars Imma do it! Next up: "Is LBD a stupid idea or the stupidest idea?" (I kid; that is too incendiary, I do not actually want to be banned.)

I voted for Hoes, sorry bros. But really it's only out of nostalgia I think. I don't mind the farm plots that much. Plant hitboxes are shyte, but I know they'll fix it.

@Boidster Really just look at the screen carefully when harvesting and read, the game tells you what you are going to hit and if you read plant and click you will harvest it, no missing. No more removing seeds by accident. It works. I never remove seeds by accident and i get every plant at the first try. And it´s waaay faster than having to reseed every time and stupidly running in circles until the seed goes green and you can plant it.

Obviously voted plots. At least a bit of a struggle to get your food going like it should be in a survivalgame.

Do not think of "Farm Plots" as some kind of thing that replaced the old one for the reason that it has "more potential" than it was - it is just a gag for a technical problem that developers can not solve.

@Boidster Really just look at the screen carefully when harvesting and read, the game tells you what you are going to hit and if you read plant and click you will harvest it, no missing.

Sure, man, I know that; I've adapted and I rarely bash a seedling now. Does not at all change the fact that the hitboxes are crap. Now if you wish to argue that the hitboxes are not crap then I will have to ask you to step outside!

The old method would work just fine even though you never could make the rows straight and sometimes your aim would be off and you lose a seed because it didn't go into a furrow and then there was a bug.

these questions always come up whenever they make a big change and people prefer the old way of doing things.

plots are what I voted for, but maybe using a hoe to increase yield (with fertilizer) would be a nice halfway (and allowing us ways to make plots 2 or more ways....say, replacing the rotten flesh with another 100 clay soil and 25 charcoal? just an example)

I mean, if we can melt snow for murky water, or run to a water source, it stands to reason there should be multiple paths to the same end in other aspects of the game (loot vs craft, canned vs fresh food etc.)

I like old way, but would have to vote for plots because i like not having to replant seed. That took forever with fairly big farm. I rarely hit seeds in plots because I do pay attention when gathering. Especially when you have spaces between rows, its so easy to not hit seed.

I liked the old method better, because it had a more distinct process that made the farming mechanic more interesting. It required you to interact directly with the land with a specific tool; then you had to fertilize that land so the crops yielded more food, which already added to the immersion, and if only the devs had invested in a watering mechanic or a pest control system (like some overhaul mods have), or any other cool feature that made farming less boring and more unique, it would've been all that was needed.

Now with the farm plots, it's just a generic gather-and-craft process, much like every other aspect of the game (vehicles, weapons, player bases, etc.), except that all the other aspects have other implications that make them interesting and fun. Farming, on the other hand, isn't a fun or interesting mechanic right now, in my opinion.

I'm not saying it's awful or terrible. Just kind of boring and uninteresting.

Why not just bring back the hoe and let players farm the old way... at half the yield or double the time? Adjust accordingly.

I can understand farm plots in this context: you want unnaturally fertile soil for fast growth cause you don't have the time to wait.

Hence, the box separating the plot from regular soil that would otherwise dilute the nutrients, the rotting meat to provide the necessary micro elements, nitrates to fertilize.

It kind of makes sense. At the same time, there's just so much hassle with this.

There should be a way to harvest zombies for rotting meat, maybe a different kind than what you put into hobo stew but good enough for plants to grow on.

Right now it's just hard to get decent quantities of rotting meat in a world full of, well, walking, rotting meat.

@Blasphemous You don´t go for bones? If you do you get the rotting meat for free. In SP you need like 20 plots max. That´s 200 rotting flesh if you didn´t skill living of the land. That´s nothing. I get that without even looking for it because bones.

Also a big no for zombie corpses back in the game. I am not a freaking janitor. You gotta get rid a of them all the time. Man i hated that.

Also regarding the "carebear noobs": If you struggle to get enough rotting meat you are the noob tbh. Heck the vultures only give me enough for farming. Stupid birds :p

Do not think of "Farm Plots" as some kind of thing that replaced the old one for the reason that it has "more potential" than it was - it is just a gag for a technical problem that developers can not solve.

I didn’t say it’s potential was the reason. I literally said the reason was that it solved problems but that it has some great potential if the devs decide to develop farming more deeply.

The two big problems with the old method was balance and incompatibility with the new method of generating terrain.

New method is faster in that you plop the plot, plot the seed plop, and that's it. prefect.

Don't have to waste fertilizer, or time (although many have too much time on their hands these days),

Some plants it's much easier to harvest (now that we have to punch), if they are 1 block away from each other.

So alternating plots make it simple. (and putting the plots in a checkerboard pattern looks kinda cool)

Pita to do the old way, unless you:

Block out farm area (say 10x10)

Place woodframes in checker pattern.

Put dirt in each open spot.

Hoe each piece of dirt.

Plant.

New:

Plop plots in checkerboard pattern.

Plant.

This isn't a farming simulator. (and it was a pain to make big farms the old way)

Now, having to get more mats to make the farm plopplots? Sure.

Obviously I voted for the new.

:)

(and now I need moar coffee)

I'm just interested that the poll is relatively even, and both choices have been in the lead at different points. I was under the mistaken impression that farm plots were generally disliked and only the aforementioned carebear n00bs liked them. Now I have learned something through SCIENCE. To wit: there are more carebear n00bs around here than I thought! <smokebomb>

I didn’t say it’s potential was the reason. I literally said the reason was that it solved problems but that it has some great potential if the devs decide to develop farming more deeply.

The two big problems with the old method was balance and incompatibility with the new method of generating terrain.

Yes. And that was the truly reason for his appearance.

I mean, the reason for their appearance is in this - and it means that they appeared as a result of some problems and not an improvement of anything.

So this is a forced measure, not an improvement on something that was worse.

And all.

Archived