Fall damage

Crater Creator

I’m interested in incorporating more deep pits into my base design. I understand that zombies can take a maximum of one third of their health in damage from a single fall, which should work well with my play style. However, I’ve been unable to find how far they have to fall to take that full one third damage. I’m loath to dig to bedrock if I don’t have to. Do tougher zombies have to fall farther, or is the distance always mapped to a percentage of damage regardless of their absolute HP?

Thanks, 12pack! That's exactly what I needed.

Excellent. Where's the tl;dv version? :fat:

TL;DV: Tougher zombies do need to fall further to take their maximum damage. Basic weak zombies, like a nurse, need 15 blocks. Higher HP zombies, like a fat guy or a cop, need 20-25 blocks, depending on their hit points.

Animals do not have this damage cap, at least as of A17. A wolf or dog dies from 15 blocks, but of course there are other animals with more HP.

The cap is based on their maximum hit points. Vedui makes a two-step fall pit, and the zombies wind up with 1/3rd of their health left, rather than 4/9ths. In other words 3 falls could theoretically kill them, or nearly kill them with roundoff errors. In practice, you may hit bedrock before you can get deep enough to pull that off.

Archived