Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete, Cobblestone, Rebar, Tussing, Metal Blocks = MESS !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete, Cobblestone, Rebar, Tussing, Metal Blocks = MESS !

The whole building block system is now a total f***king mess.

There is still s**t laying around from 4 to 5 completely different versions building blocks system.

There is the Metal block, Brick and Log Cabin Wood building blocks form original inventory craftable building blocks.

I'm not sure if the old inventory craftable concrete blocks are still in game. Then there the Metal Trussing which was supposed to be rebar system when they were planning the upgradable blocks, but forgot all about when they actually did it.

Then we has upgradable cobblestone and wood, then came scap metal. Suddenly the cobblestone disappeared and was replaced by concrete.

Having played this game since A6 this is how I feel how the building blocks system design has been going:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsl7-TJtPew
    Last edited by Mike06; 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM.

I didn't like how the old cobblestones worked, it was more like how concrete should have been. I'm redoing cobblestones and bricks for A11 or maybe 10.5. There are some legacy blocks in there, I can clean them out until I decide what to do with them, such as iron wall. Trussing is trussing, its for see through and shoot through metal supports, bridges, walkways, etc. Rebar is rebar, designed for adding strength to concrete. Everything is exactly like it is in the real world, not sure why you are confused. Yes it might need a little cleanup, but its not a complete freakshow like you are trying to imply.

Comment

Originally posted by madmole View Post
      I didn't like how the old cobblestones worked, it was more like how concrete should have been. I'm redoing cobblestones and bricks for A11 or maybe 10.5. There are some legacy blocks in there, I can clean them out until I decide what to do with them, such as iron wall. Trussing is trussing, its for see through and shoot through metal supports, bridges, walkways, etc. Rebar is rebar, designed for adding strength to concrete. Everything is exactly like it is in the real world, not sure why you are confused. Yes it might need a little cleanup, but its not a complete freakshow like you are trying to imply.
      Besides it could be much worse...you could implement cement mixers and force people to work together to carefully move the slide where cement falls out onto the mold. Also including a requirement involving creating a steamroller by modifying an abandoned tank in the middle of the city.
      I can't decide whether the last part would be awesome or an absolute nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by madmole View Post

No freakshow madmole, but I will be excited when we finally get concrete working again.

Comment

Rollers are used for asphalt not concrete...

Comment

I haven't played yet (waiting for bug fixes before updating server), but I generally get the feeling of being initially overwhelmed by the choices, trying to remember what I need to collect, and then figuring out the difference say between trussing and rebar.

But after playing a few sessions it starts to make more sense. Good reminder from madmole, to try and think logically what these do as the game is trying to represent RL as best as possible.

I basically think of it now as two main options: wood and cement.
            --You can build and upgrade either one of these to be reinforced, with the former being cheaper, easier, and faster.

Then all that's left are a few misc. building pieces.
            --Metal trussing which is more for obscure building and used as an utility for shooting.
            --Iron walls and scrap walls for the quick n' dirty strong building blocks, but what seems to be really inefficient and only works if you're in a huge bind and don't want to use wood or find cement.
            --And finally, log cabin, redwood, awning, etc. are all just decorative building pieces which seem to be all visual and terrible for defense.

I think this recaps it in a rough and general sort of way. Or at least as much as I know

Comment

I think they're generally moving in the right direction with building blocks. The system needs a lot of work, cleanup, and balancing but I think we're going to end up with several viable building options. I hope that when the time comes, TFP takes feedback from Gazz and the other builders and really gives us a robust set of blocks.

And I don't know if it's been changed in A10 but I hope the POIs end up with approximately the same durability as their player made counterparts. In 9.3 it kind of felt like POIs were made of paper!

Comment

Madmole once mused about being able to upgrade faces of the frame independently, with different materials. What became of that?

That'd be a nice generic system for all those odd single-layer walls such as the carpet/wood, drywall/flagstone, that exist in the creative menu.
                Last edited by leadingzero; 11-25-2014, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I can't seem to figure out how to make cement blocks. I have a cement mold and made cement. now how do I make the blocks?

Comment

What about all the other blocks we used with concrete? All those blocks are gone now?

1/2 concrete
                    1/4 concrete
                    1/8 concrete
                    concrete corner wedge
                    concrete full corner wedge
                    plate concrete
                    concrete pillars
                    concrete stairs
                    concrete pole

So now with new concrete we can make blocks and ramps? who cares about the toughness of the new concrete if we lose all these usefull blocks?

edit: ooo my 1000th post

Comment

ok I figured out how to make Concrete:

1. Make Cement
                      2. Make rebar frames
                      3. put rebar frames down and use repair tool to add frames to them and extra hit to add cement or pour cement into rebar molds/frames
                      4. wait forever for the boards to fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestarcanuck View Post
                        ok I figured out how to make Concrete:

1. Make Cement
                        2. Make rebar frames
                        3. put rebar frames down and use repair tool to add frames to them and extra hit to add cement or pour cement into rebar molds/frames
                        4. wait forever for the boards to fall off.
                        yeah except the boards never fall off!!! and you can only make rebar frames and rebar ramp frames.

Comment

Originally posted by CongoBongo View Post
                          yeah except the boards never fall off!!! and you can only make rebar frames and rebar ramp frames.
                          I think this was fixed in hotfix 10.1.

has anyone tried this again?

Comment

Originally posted by CongoBongo View Post
                            What about all the other blocks we used with concrete? All those blocks are gone now?

1/2 concrete
                            1/4 concrete
                            1/8 concrete
                            concrete corner wedge
                            concrete full corner wedge
                            plate concrete
                            concrete pillars
                            concrete stairs
                            concrete pole

So now with new concrete we can make blocks and ramps? who cares about the toughness of the new concrete if we lose all these usefull blocks?

edit: ooo my 1000th post
                            I suspect some of those recipes were custom-made. But regardless, you can still craft them with concrete blocks found in the world.

Comment

Logged into the dedicated server last night after we applied the patch and was very pleased to see the plywood pop off over time on a building that had sat wet for almost a week. Poured Concrete works now, and has less drying time than I had expected. The Ramp recipe works just as well.

Despite my opinion that the reinforced cobblestone blocks from Alpha 9.3 looked better than the poured concrete of Alpha 10, I like the current system more for a few fundamental reasons:

1. The delayed drying means you have a little longer to change your mind before it means 5-6 minutes of hammering away with a pickaxe to remove a single block.
                              2. The textures on the ramp and the square block match. This was not always the case with the reinforced cobble. Ramps with the angled side pointed downwards would appear with a scrap metal texture on that facing, but only when they were pointed downward.
                              3. You get great durability without having to pack and manage stacks of forged iron.
                              4. You can recover a reinforced concrete block during deconstruct.

That said, there are things I'd like to see added:

1. Half-height poured concrete block, with the same build process. I like being able to place rebar before committing.
                              2. A corner and pyramid piece, similar to the way shingles are now, but with the same process and texture as the current poured concrete.

Bugs:

I noticed in 10.0 that you could automagically apply concrete mix from your inventory to your block while upgrading if you used a stone axe as your upgrade tool, but you would stop at the plywood stage if you used the repair tool, forcing you to use the bucket to apply concrete mix. I didn't test this last night, but I also didn't see the issue mentioned in the patch notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X