How Do I build a lake/ocean?

XxUnkn0wnxX

I'm playing in cheat mode ATM, I have built a massive castle and wall. my wall is 5 blocks high. now I have a huge chunk of land that I wish to dig out or blow up and fill up with water blocks. but I am unsure of the mechanics of water like how do I get it to the desired block hight? I have had some issues with this. (where I place the water it would only go up to 1 block high and would not stack up)

also does the ground need to be flat between my wall & the ground level? (like a swimming pool flat)

or can I have like lumps and random hills between my wall & ground wall that will contain the water.

I'm thinking of making my lake around my castle out 15-20 blocks from my wall.

also what can hold water as in what type of blocks, flagstone, concrete, steel, dirt?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm on Console not PC.

I suppose you COULD do it the hard way (filling it up with buckets in hope it works), but the quicker (relative) way is to make a prefab of the lake and place it into the game.

...but that's a huge learning curve for you.

All blocks will hold water, and the water physics suck right now, so best of luck to you. :)

(if you decide you want to do the prefab route, hit the modding thread, under modding tools, and check out Hal's Prefab Editor)

so no further info on mechanics of water? - like I know how blocks & the physics of this game works but there is nearly to no info about the mechanics & physics of how the water works.

EG max hight, width. does 1 block of source water spread x many blocks. what are the requirements of make water go high or really deep.

does water fall endlessly over a a cliff? does it eventually run/dry out? what causes this?

since I am doing this on a console I need all the details. like with every build I calculate the max load of each block and how many support pillars or Beams I need. same thing with water I need enough info about it so I can start construction. instead of going in blind and hoping for the best.

open the creative menu and find the waterblock. now when you want to fill that lake up you need to ALWAYS place a waterblock on a higher block so it fills up faster and larger... a bit like Valmods admin autofloors. :)

yea after experimenting I saw that to I need to place it on a higher block then the desired block to fill it up to the desired level waterfall style.

Edit: still having issues...

• 3 years later...
so no further info on mechanics of water? - like I know how blocks & the physics of this game works but there is nearly to no info about the mechanics & physics of how the water works.

EG max hight, width. does 1 block of source water spread x many blocks. what are the requirements of make water go high or really deep.

does water fall endlessly over a a cliff? does it eventually run/dry out? what causes this?

since I am doing this on a console I need all the details. like with every build I calculate the max load of each block and how many support pillars or Beams I need. same thing with water I need enough info about it so I can start construction. instead of going in blind and hoping for the best.

7 Days To Die: is relistic to real life in that blocks can't be put in mid-aire so same with was - So to your question of 'does water fall endlessly over a a cliff? does it eventually run/dry out? what causes this?" it's called GRAVITY. Think of real life, yes water falls over cliffs in which is fed from a lake/body of water, now something need to feed that lake or it will run dry. Hope this answers your questions :)

Think of real life, yes water falls over cliffs in which is fed from a lake/body of water, now something need to feed that lake or it will run dry. Hope this answers your questions :)

This is incorrect and not how water physics work in this game, although it would be badass if it did but I doubt it will be a thing until PC tech advances further in order to handle the calculations needed for water physics to work the way you describe..

If water is going over the edge of a cliff and is fed from a body of water, said body of water will not dry up. The lack of realistic physics prevents this from being a thing in this game. :(

This is incorrect and not how water physics work in this game, although it would be badass if it did but I doubt it will be a thing until PC tech advances further in order to handle the calculations needed for water physics to work the way you describe..

If water is going over the edge of a cliff and is fed from a body of water, said body of water will not dry up. The lack of realistic physics prevents this from being a thing in this game. :(

idk if its like minecraft water. i just want it to be updated

I'm playing in cheat mode ATM, I have built a massive castle and wall. my wall is 5 blocks high. now I have a huge chunk of land that I wish to dig out or blow up and fill up with water blocks. but I am unsure of the mechanics of water like how do I get it to the desired block hight? I have had some issues with this. (where I place the water it would only go up to 1 block high and would not stack up)

also does the ground need to be flat between my wall & the ground level? (like a swimming pool flat)

or can I have like lumps and random hills between my wall & ground wall that will contain the water.

I'm thinking of making my lake around my castle out 15-20 blocks from my wall.

also what can hold water as in what type of blocks, flagstone, concrete, steel, dirt?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm on Console not PC.

Your best bet is to enter god mode and mess around with water blocks and what not in order to get an understanding of how water physics work in this game. Its kinda hard to explain since this game does not follow real physics regarding water.

- - - Updated - - -

idk if its like minecraft water. i just want it to be updated

as much as I hate Minecraft I gotta give credit where credit is due. Minecraft does a much better job with water physics than 7dtd. Minus the putting water on thin air of course lol.

as much as I hate Minecraft I gotta give credit where credit is due. Minecraft does a much better job with water physics than 7dtd. Minus the putting water on thin air of course lol.

From what i got, water in 7d2d works very similar to water in minecraft.

In both versions it flows just x blocks in any direction and one block always provides endless water, until you pick up the source block itself.

Never tried it myself but read, that it is possible to create endless water sources in 7d2d similar to the 2x2 source in minecraft.

Water has no volume in both cases so it never really runs from a to b. And two connected volumes of water don't even out.

So where's the big difference between both that minecraft earns credit but 7d2d is bad?

Realistic, volumetric calculation of liquids is still hard in general. Sounds easy when just thinking of small volumes of few blocks, e.g. like the water tower should run dry when opened. And such simple cases indeed wouldn't be that hard to calculate. But such mechanics would blow up any current CPU/GPU when it comes to (bigger) lakes, rivers or even oceans (like that one that sourrounds your whole map ;)).

From what i got, water in 7d2d works very similar to water in minecraft.

In both versions it flows just x blocks in any direction and one block always provides endless water, until you pick up the source block itself.

Never tried it myself but read, that it is possible to create endless water sources in 7d2d similar to the 2x2 source in minecraft.

Water has no volume in both cases so it never really runs from a to b. And two connected volumes of water don't even out.

So where's the big difference between both that minecraft earns credit but 7d2d is bad?

Realistic, volumetric calculation of liquids is still hard in general. Sounds easy when just thinking of small volumes of few blocks, e.g. like the water tower should run dry when opened. And such simple cases indeed wouldn't be that hard to calculate. But such mechanics would blow up any current CPU/GPU when it comes to (bigger) lakes, rivers or even oceans (like that one that sourrounds your whole map ;)).

Oh I agree 100% that current PC hardware cannot handle real physics for large bodies of water, thus the reason I pointed out this will not be a thing until PC tech advances further.

True minecraft and 7d2d water physics are very very very similar. The only difference I can remember, I might be wrong because its been years since i played minecraft and I barely played, is that a body of water in minecraft will smooth out on the surface and it flows a little further than in 7d2d.

Example, in 7d2d go in a lake or any body of water go down to the bottom and destroy grass or any object underwater and then swim back up. you will see that there is a hole on the surface of the body of water which makes no sense. The water should fill back in the hole or better yet, a hole should never form from removing 1 object underwater. other than that, yeah water physics are the same. The fact minecraft smooths the surface is what, in my opinion, makes minecraft water physics better.

i disagree with your opinion on the game but yes if water was kinda like that i would like it much better. 7DTD i really don't like having my camp near water due to how weird it can act.

mostly due to if a Block falls and makes Rubble. it just makes a Hole in the Water. so i don't mess with water. with buckets

yes i drink water

Example, in 7d2d go in a lake or any body of water go down to the bottom and destroy grass or any object underwater and then swim back up. you will see that there is a hole on the surface of the body of water which makes no sense. The water should fill back in the hole or better yet, a hole should never form from removing 1 object underwater. other than that, yeah water physics are the same. The fact minecraft smooths the surface is what, in my opinion, makes minecraft water physics better.

Ok, i never tried that in 7d2d. But the difference seems simple. With that behaviour in 7d2d a water block underlies gravity and falls down. In Minecraft it does not. In Minecraft the source water block is just floating in the air and filling everything underneath with water. But what is filled below are not "real" water blocks, that's just the above source letting water flow down. If you remove the floating top source block, the whole pillar of water vanishes.

But during writing that i remembered: When i let a skyscraper collapse recently i noticed that especially the water sources inside the skyscraper did not fall down. The whole building was gone but there have been just some water pillars remained. So that contradicts your observations and behaves just exactly like minecraft.

Or there are 2 different kinds of water blocks in 7d2d. One is able to float, the other one underlies gravity?

Archived