How to remove bg spooky music at night?

SickPuppy

Updated for A18.4:

WARNING: Modifying files can violate multiplayer EAC protected servers, so please do this if you play single player or you have checked with the server you play on that the following method of removing sound files is allowed. Getting banned and listed would be very unfortunate for some sound files.

The night time creepy music is located in the 'resources.assets' file located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data (or wherever you've installed the game files).

You can download and replace my updated 'resource.assets' file. Or you can remove the sound files manually, instructions below. Please make a backup copy of original before replacing just in case.

My resource.assets file without night spooky music, the 10pm nighttime and 4am morning warning sounds are also removed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ehh...ew?usp=sharing

If you want to do it manually, you will need to download Unity Assets Bundle Extractor to be able to open 'resource.assets' file:

https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...ractor/page42=

There's a search path name function in the AssetBundleExtractor. under Options > Search by name.

Every update puts the spooky music back in so you will need to replace the file every time. I'm not a modder/coder so there's probably an easier way but this is just how I do it.

Remove the night time music path names:

a_night_oneshot1.wav

a_night_oneshot2.wav

a_night_oneshot3.wav

a_night_oneshot4.wav

a_night_oneshot5.wav

a_night_oneshot6.wav

Remove the morning and night alert music:

a_daybreak_oneshot.wav

a_nightfall_oneshot.wav

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

Hi all, registered just to ask this as it's driving me quite mad.

Luv being immersed in the world, luv the ambient sounds, birds chirping, howling winds etc. However, middle of the night, I haven't eaten for a while, I'm starving, maybe I'm hurt and infected after a bad encounter with a wandering horde, I'm going to have to risk looting this Pop N Pills...What's That?! Oh someone's playing the pipe organ, again. Sometimes it seems to keep playing every minute and it completely breaks immersion for me.

I've switched off music but it still plays. I'm not great with computers but if someone can please direct me where/which files I need to alter or delete I would be very very grateful.

I like it, but after hundreds of nights I now hate it. So repetitive. And I love spooky movie music, so I think for me it's just the repetition of the relatively sparse tracks.

If some love were given to expanding it out to many hours of random spooky music tracks... :D

Actually tons of this stuff on youtube, search for 'hours of spooky music': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4p9cDV6t8

Maybe it would be best if they separated the sounds... such that the ambient sounds (ie, chirps, wind, howls and the like) was on a separate sound volume slider than for instance sound effects (grunts, hitting, hacking, chopping, walking), or the music. I would love to have more music in the game, mood music, but I'd also want to be able to control the sound setting so I can balance it between ambient and normal sound effects to my liking.

/Vedui -

Im with sick puppy on this one.

I personally hate music in most any game I play, especialy this type of game, where stealth is a key factor (even if slightly broken)

Ive turned the music and the ambient sliders all the way down "0" but I still hear the organ, birds, water, etc... i killed ambient because of the ear-splitting thunder crack ( please fix the levels TFP)

I look at it like this, if it really were a zombie apocalypse would i be listening to Duran Duran's greatest hits on my sony walkman..... noooo, id be keen as a cat in a dog pound to avoid those flesh eating bass-turds

So on that note lets hope TFP fix the slider to actually go to "0" instead of "1" cause i really hate modding the asset files but if thats my only option then so be it. In the meantime I just try to ignore it.

I totally agree that the ambient sounds are often a bit out of place, because they not only contain natural ambient sounds like wind, birds, chirping, etc. but from time to time a big loud -"woohaaaaap" musical element. It really sounds like it is indicating some in-game action (like horde night start or so) but is just there to scare you out of nothing.

There is an old mod claiming to fix exactly that:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?22982-7DTD-Biome-Ambience-Sounds

I didn' get to try it myself yet. It may be outdated, but worth a look.

djk

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) this request. I'm always having to stop and wait for the sound effects to go away so I can hear zombie footsteps. I know it's for atmosphere but some of us have enough atmosphere trying not to starve and freeze while searching cupboards on 30 hp in the middle of the night.

Add me to the "let us kill that music" club. I like all the other ambient sounds and don't want to get rid of them(although the thunder is a bit too loud, yeah). But that little musical blurb is weird and feels out of context and annoying and WAY TOO LOUD!!!. I often have the game up reasonably loud and everything seems about right, but then that sound plays and it is twice as loud as anything else which kills the immersion even more. I used to want to think it played when there were zombies nearby but I don't really think it does... and I'd rather just hear them grumbling and muttering to themselves as a warning anyway.

Not as important as zombies that sound like they are on top of you when they aren't, or that don't make any noise when they should... but probably the next most annoying sound issue to me so far.

I raised this point in the last alpha. The spooky night sounds have got to go. At the very least they need to be moved off of "ambiance" and onto "music" which is where they belong. The game has practically no music anyway. The title screen is the only track I've heard. Everything else is riffs. What's even the point of the music level if it barely scales anything?

Fix that, leave ambient sounds on the "ambiance" level and do a sound pass. Seriously, sound is so badly broken in this game. If you're not looking at a zombie there's absolutely no way to know it's there.

Yes I've lowered ambient sound to 0 which helps but it also kills the nature sound effects, birds, wind etc which isn't ideal.

Tried clicking through all the folders but there's no sound files anywhere.

I totally agree that the ambient sounds are often a bit out of place, because they not only contain natural ambient sounds like wind, birds, chirping, etc. but from time to time a big loud -"woohaaaaap" musical element. It really sounds like it is indicating some in-game action (like horde night start or so) but is just there to scare you out of nothing.

There is an old mod claiming to fix exactly that:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?22982-7DTD-Biome-Ambience-Sounds

I didn' get to try it myself yet. It may be outdated, but worth a look.

djk

Thanks for this, haven't got it working but reading through some posts the spooky music seems tied to other 'assets' files. Will have a look into it later tonight.

Very odd how this spooky music is so hard to get rid of. Honestly sometimes I dread the night not because of respawning sleepers and running hordes but I think to myself, oh no here comes the orchestra. I'd pay for TFP to remove this, kinda like a reverse DLC.

You should have been around for the baby crying

Yup. Pretty sure there were multiple versions of babies crying. Ugh. The only thing worse was the incessant mind-drill buzzing of the bees.

Making a separate volume slider for 'mood music' from 'ambient sounds' might just solve this particular version of #soundgate. Speaking of which, Roland needs to add that one to his list if it's not on there already. We've had issues with mood sounds for as long as I can remember. Even so, I personally think they have come a long way and much better than ever now.

I've found the culprit audio files inside the 'resource.assets' file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data (or wherever you've installed the game files). Started a quick test game, 3 nights no night time spooky music anymore, yay! All the other ambient sounds are separate so the birds, howling winds, etc are all untouched.

I've upload to my dropbox, you just need to download/unzip and replace the 'resource.assets' file. Please make a backup copy of original before replacing just in case.

7dtd remove spooky music only.zip

This file is same as above and also removed are the morning and night time alert music, always thought they were a bit out of place.

7dtd remove spooky music and am-pm alerts.zip

If you want to do it manually, you will need to download Unity Assets Bundle Extractor to be able to open resource.assets:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?22675-Unity-Assets-Bundle-Extractor

Remove the night time music files:

a_night_oneshot3.wav (pathID 7612)

a_night_oneshot1.wav (pathID 7867)

a_night_oneshot2.wav (pathID 7876)

a_night_oneshot5.wav (pathID 8031)

a_night_oneshot6.wav (pathID 8126)

a_night_oneshot4.wav (pathID 8131)

Remove the morning and night alert music:

a_daybreak_oneshot.wav (pathID 8053)

a_nightfall_oneshot.wav (pathID 8218)

There's literally thousands of sound files. You can search for the files with the pathID numbers, make sure to select resource.assets file name in the search window. Hope that works for you, happy looting.

You should have been around for the baby crying

I know it makes sense, the place is creepy by itself, but i don't like wastelands because of the fog, and the mines, and the creepy sounds, the same for the burned forest, too much fog. I don't see 7 days to die as a horror game, if i want to get scared, i play outlast.. I already got scared alot of times with sleepers.. the main problem for me is because i live in the underground, so there's no sense hearing a owl 50 blocks deep on the ground.

I know it makes sense, the place is creepy by itself, but i don't like wastelands because of the fog, and the mines, and the creepy sounds, the same for the burned forest, too much fog. I don't see 7 days to die as a horror game, if i want to get scared, i play outlast.. I already got scared alot of times with sleepers.. the main problem for me is because i live in the underground, so there's no sense hearing a owl 50 blocks deep on the ground.

Perhaps there is burrowing owls.

Archived