I solved the underground base exploit!!!!

Vomkat

I am so excited to start a new game! As many of you know, the game is completely broken, because you can simply avoid the zombies by digging down. This completely ruins everything, since 'survival' is merely an option, an artificial self-imposed handicap that no player actually needs to partake in. You can level up your character by simply mining. You can obtain stone and ore, which translates into steel and concrete. You never need to loot, salvage, or fight, but you can obtain every item in the game by trading steel and concrete at a nearby trader. You can also use the steel and concrete to build an OP defense base, which you never need to use!

It's not just game breaking, but immersion breaking. In a zombie survival game, could you start an industrial scale self-sustaining subterranean factory within a matter of days? Who in their right mind would dig straight down in a real zombie apocalypse? Seriously? If you were lost in the woods, and wanted to make a stone axe, would you start punching a boulder? NO!

Yes, I know, we can 'choose' to not play like this, but it's not very fun to challenge yourself, while knowing the full time you can simply start digging down. It's like playing monopoly, but the game rules state you can pay $1 to instantly place hotels on every property. It's like playing basketball but the game rules state that you can always claim a foul against any opposing player, and neither the opposing team nor the referee can dispute your claim. It's like playing a zombie survival game, and knowing the entire time that you don't need to actually fight zombies or scavenge for loot, because you just dig straight down.

Well, I found this awesome solution, and I'm really excited about it.

I rushed right here to tell everyone the GOOD NEWS.

I went into the steam common folder, found the folder for 7 Days to Die, went into the Data and Config folders, and found these little .xml files. I selected the one called materials, found the material id "stone" and changed the max damage value to 50000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Suddenly, every stone layer acts as bedrock, without that annoying bedrock sound! It is absolutely impossible to dig down, and I will be forced to build a strong base. Furthermore, since stone and iron will become scarce, I must rely on wood! Meanwhile, I will no longer have access to creative mode style wealth from the traders. WOAAHAAHAHAAH NELLY. I think this game might actually be fun again with loot at 25% and no respawning.

:rapture:

Does anyone have any other quick .xml fix suggestions? Let me know if you feel inspired to set up a hardcore no digging down server. I'd also love to hear a way to quickly remove those damn glowing zombies and spitter cops, because that is just dumb. I want to play zombie survival, not DOOM 4. I also need a way to create large biomes, so that you have to actually pick a biome and can't just see three more within walking distance.

There is an even easier solution than XML edits. Bitches need to quit bitching, and the problem is solved. Most people who go underground are for legit mining or to have their crafting stations not be destroyed, losing 30k of several resources at once, per forge, etc... If freaks with control issues stop whining about it, suddenly there is no problem and the game stays enjoyable for everyone.

Damn, that was simple.

Calm down miner, and please watch your inappropriate language. The difference between you and me, is I want a better game where I don't have safe crafting stations with stockpiles of 30k resources per forge. At least I admit that what I've been doing is an exploit. I challenge you to stop mining and take the CODE. challenge.

I'd like to see this thread become a resource for people who want simple easy fixes to the game's most glaring issues. On that note, anyone know how to change the sneak mechanic so it stops telling you the moment you are spotted. After all, I'm not psychic!

Calm down miner, and please watch your inappropriate language.

I didn't attempt to censor it so if it was considered inappropriate here you would see a bunch of hearts.

The difference between you and me, is I want a better game where I don't have safe crafting stations with stockpiles of 30k resources per forge. At least I admit that what I've been doing is an exploit. I challenge you to stop mining and take the CODE. challenge.

That isn't a better game at all. When you can spend a week stockpiling resources only to see them wiped out by cheap, immersion-breaking nonsense, that is bad game design in favor of weak players who want everybody to play their way. An exploit would be building a stilt base higher than zombies can detect you and utilizing Alchemy techniques (look in my older posts if you want to find that) to make infinite materials without leaving for weeks while leveling to max. Which is all well within the games code, and thus nullifies your "challenge". The difference is that you can move around, explore, and play the game including having a mine to gather NECESSARY resources without having an emo meltdown about how other people play the game. Some people like to sit in a box and cry about zombies coming every 7 days, some people like to be well prepared so they can slaughter huge hordes and loot like crazy every 7 days. I loot and chop up bodies while the hordes are flowing because I have a brain and turn off Run at night, which doesn't mean nobody runs because I level fast and get unpredictable Ferals, which make the game more fun because the risk is unpredictable.

I'd like to see this thread become a resource for people who want simple easy fixes to the game's most glaring issues.

The most glaring issue is Emo's trying to ruin the game for other people. The same has happened on WoW and countless other games. The Devs go on the forum and see 3 people bitching incessantly about something, while everybody who enjoys the game is busy playing. Suddenly, the game becomes less enjoyable for 99% of the player base because the bitchy wheel gets the grease.

- - - Updated - - -

#590 so soon?

YASSSSS QUEEN!

Why are you still talking? Your vulgar language is unacceptable, and you are banned from this thread.

Please find another thread to troll, I am not reading your posts.

Lol, just because you don't like the way he conveys his message doesn't mean its vulgar language. We are all grownups here for the most part and getting banned is unlikely. Vomkat, please relax. Your opinion of a better game is in your mind only. It is your choice to play as you wish but the same is true for every other player that plays 7days. Several play mods, alter xml files to suit their needs, or do several other things to enhance their enjoyment. This is one of many things that makes this game unique.

It would be even more realistic when the only breakable objects are doors.

And then removing crafting, so the only items avaialble are found or traded in from found junk at the trader.

And remove placing blocks apart from setting a limited number of spikes and replacing doors.

Would make it way more realistic....

But none of that is a SOLUTION for an exploit in the game mechanics. It just removes core mechanics from a voxel-based game, making it a static level game as many others in existence.

Digging down should not be removed. Its should simply not offer free complete safety for little effort. Hence the move to digging zombies and the ideas about requiring ventilation.

The game allows the player to freely change the topography of the world (placing and removing blocks).

The counterbalance must be that the AI is able to pathfind and break blocks on the way.

(else safety would be way to easy to archive)

The game allows the player to collect resources and craft more usable items.

The counterbalance must be that resources and items must get used up along the way.

(else the player can quickly inflate the amount of available items, quickly removing any need to search or work for more)

Empyrion has those two faults, thats why the singleplayer game gets stale relatively quickly. (too much safety, too much stuff)

I am so excited to start a new game! As many of you know, the game is completely broken, because you can simply avoid the zombies by digging down. This completely ruins everything, since 'survival' is merely an option, an artificial self-imposed handicap that no player actually needs to partake in. You can level up your character by simply mining. You can obtain stone and ore, which translates into steel and concrete. You never need to loot, salvage, or fight, but you can obtain every item in the game by trading steel and concrete at a nearby trader. You can also use the steel and concrete to build an OP defense base, which you never need to use!

It's not just game breaking, but immersion breaking. In a zombie survival game, could you start an industrial scale self-sustaining subterranean factory within a matter of days? Who in their right mind would dig straight down in a real zombie apocalypse? Seriously? If you were lost in the woods, and wanted to make a stone axe, would you start punching a boulder? NO!

Yes, I know, we can 'choose' to not play like this, but it's not very fun to challenge yourself, while knowing the full time you can simply start digging down. It's like playing monopoly, but the game rules state you can pay $1 to instantly place hotels on every property. It's like playing basketball but the game rules state that you can always claim a foul against any opposing player, and neither the opposing team nor the referee can dispute your claim. It's like playing a zombie survival game, and knowing the entire time that you don't need to actually fight zombies or scavenge for loot, because you just dig straight down.

Well, I found this awesome solution, and I'm really excited about it.

I rushed right here to tell everyone the GOOD NEWS.

I went into the steam common folder, found the folder for 7 Days to Die, went into the Data and Config folders, and found these little .xml files. I selected the one called materials, found the material id "stone" and changed the max damage value to 50000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Suddenly, every stone layer acts as bedrock, without that annoying bedrock sound! It is absolutely impossible to dig down, and I will be forced to build a strong base. Furthermore, since stone and iron will become scarce, I must rely on wood! Meanwhile, I will no longer have access to creative mode style wealth from the traders. WOAAHAAHAHAAH NELLY. I think this game might actually be fun again with loot at 25% and no respawning.

:rapture:

Does anyone have any other quick .xml fix suggestions? Let me know if you feel inspired to set up a hardcore no digging down server. I'd also love to hear a way to quickly remove those damn glowing zombies and spitter cops, because that is just dumb. I want to play zombie survival, not DOOM 4. I also need a way to create large biomes, so that you have to actually pick a biome and can't just see three more within walking distance.

How many days have you played with those settings?

Players should live in the pre-existing buildings, and not be constructing their own fortresses.

Um, NO. We each like our own style of home base. I tear down the pre-existing buildings for materials I use to construct my fortress. Gamegeezer Garrison is home sweet home. Feel free to settle at Vomkat Village, a neighborhood of pre-existing buildings, or wherever else you choose to drop your bedroll. :)

Yes, I know, we can 'choose' to not play like this, but it's not very fun to challenge yourself, while knowing the full time you can simply start digging down.

Suddenly, every stone layer acts as bedrock, without that annoying bedrock sound! It is absolutely impossible to dig down, and I will be forced to build a strong base.

Since you don't have the willpower to simply not dig an underground base, and need to mod the game to force yourself not to do it, I thought I'd let you know that your "fix" doesn't solve anything.

You can easily build an underground base in the topsoil without needing to dig down so far that you hit rock; and (in A16 at least) it's just as safe from zombies as one at bedrock is. Making the rock un-diggable doesn't do anything to prevent you from having an unassailable underground base.

Good luck having the willpower to avoid doing it!

There is an even easier solution than XML edits. Bitches need to quit bitching, and the problem is solved.

The most glaring issue is Emo's trying to ruin the game for other people.

If freaks with control issues stop whining about it, suddenly there is no problem and the game stays enjoyable for everyone.

I didn't attempt to censor it so if it was considered inappropriate here you would see a bunch of hearts.

I am afraid that the forum not censoring your language doesn't stop you from sounding like a douche.

Vomkat, please go back to your liberal safe space and relax. Your opinion of a better game is in your mind only.

Not really. The devs themselves have said time and time again in the past that they do wish to add an underground hazard.

Lol, just because you don't like the way he conveys his message doesn't mean its vulgar language. We are all grownups here for the most part and getting banned is unlikely.

Yes, the definition of vulgar language is totally subjective! Much like the definition of a survival game.

Congrats Vomkat!! You found a way to overcome your lack of willpower. I am so very happy for you! What's your favorite flavor of cake? I'll eat a slice to honor your accomplishment.

The notion that a game tagged and described as a survival game, should require the "player's willpower" to be played as a survival game is quite... revolting. That way we can stick the survival tag to virtually everything because with enough "willpower" everything can be played as survival!

Hey listen. This "debate" has been going on for a while. It would be ok just saying that "if you make the underground dangerous it will hurt my playstyle". But some people just do not seem to be able to understand that others with different playstyles than themselves complain about the underground because it hurts their own playstyle. Suggesting that someone skips half the game's *not-really-optional* worldspace in order to enjoy his playstyle is terrible enough - suggesting that he does it with his "willpower" is downright asinine.

And in addition, to be honest and perfectly "politically correct" here, after reading the OP again, suggesting this while, he is talking about himself, how he views the game and describing a way to alleviate that problem, which IS a problem according to HIS playstyle, asks for additional solutions and doesn't really make any suggestions to others about how they should play - is, as a bonus, pretty childish.

We need an underground challenging game. I want a zombie challenge and I prefer to have it underground, because I am a mole type player. Unfortunately I must build overground to get the challenge; this limits my play style, underground feels incomplete.

From the Steam store page.

7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games.

Seems if a dude wants to survive underground to defend his tower while role playing, he should be able to do so however he likes. I paid my money, just like you did. Don't like a play style, don't do it. Keep in mind, I've played above, below, POI, self built, wanderer, fortress, air, water, etc. Because it's a role-playing game.

To me the issue is, (and has been for a long, long, long time) the AI is horrid and has literally gotten worse with the latest patch. The zombies are the special snowflakes here. It's sad we have to play down to them for it to be a challenge. To that end, don't build a base at all. That's how it's fun for me. Do what works for you.

From the Steam store page.

7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games.

The problem is that by trying to be all things at once, it is not really succeeding in any area. It's certainly not a role playing game, and they really need to pick "survival" or "tower defense" - they could move the tower defense people into a game option right next to creative mode. I think most of us want to play the survival game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that "survival", meaning scavenging and barely scraping by, was the original intent which the designers slipped away from. If you watch the live action trailer, the guy works really hard to build a simple wood structure. What he does not do is immediately dig straight into the ground and start a subterranean factory complete with electricity and autocannons and forges.

The game does not become 'better' by adding more defenses, skills, perks, tools, weapons, and super monsters. It becomes better by forcing the player to experience difficulty. Right now, it is ludicrously easy unless the player deliberately handicaps themselves.

The AI is actually fine. The problem is not that the zombies can't break through your walls or find you, the problem is that you are building impregnable bases. Iron, steel, and cement all need a nerf.

Wood should be the basic technology, and cobblestone should be precious.

Have you ever actually tried to build a cobblestone wall???

We need an underground challenging game. I want a zombie challenge and I prefer to have it underground, because I am a mole type player. Unfortunately I must build overground to get the challenge; this limits my play style, underground feels incomplete.

I think the easiest solution would be to just start letting zombies spawn underground. A simple reason would be to assume that you are not the only person in your tunnel, and eventually you will have to deal with the problem which occurs when some of your co-occupants turn into zombies. That is precisely the problem which would face anyone who actually tries to go underground in a zombie apocalypse. It would be most unwise to say the least.

Another thing they should do is nerf agriculture, particularly mushrooms.

They should also let zombies dig and stop worrying about the 'swiss cheese' effect. If you stay in one place long enough for the zombies to undermine and swiss cheese it, then you deserve to see what happens. The dogs should definitely be diggers.

However, the most obvious thing here is that digging underground is incredibly difficult. Modern industrial crews with powered drills have trouble digging that far underground. If you want to go underground fine, but it should be a serious effort, not something you can achieve with ease on day 1 with a stone axe or even your bare fists.

Someone suggested that the developers add air pumps, which would be required for going underground. Let's be clear, in a zombie apocalypse, there is no way in hell you are going to find or build and then be able to install and maintain and power those air pumps. However, there is a simple way to implement the idea. Just require the player to be within x blocks of a powered air pump, or start taking damage similar to drowning. For extra realism, have the air pumps randomly stop working.

You also need to consider the resource issue. In real-life, if I dig a tunnel underground, I'm not going to find iron or oil or lead. I'm just gonna find lots of rock, which I can't turn into cement, and then my tunnel is either going to flood or cave-in or have an explosion (possibly all three at once).

If the developers simply put some reasonable real-life constraints on the ability of the player to produce industry and engage in construction, the AI will be quite sufficient. The problem is not that the zombies can't get in your base, but that you are able to build that base in the first place.

I think most of us want to play the survival game.

I can only speak authoritatively for 4 people, but I can tell you that those 4 people want survival AND tower defense AND mining AND building. That's why they play 7D2D and not something like Dying Light or Left for Dead. The interesting question would be why don't you play those, they seem to offer survival without the tower defense/mining/building ballast

Since I haven't seen a single positive feedback to your "seal off underground" idea you really don't seem to be in a position to speak for the majority.

Since I haven't seen a single positive feedback to your "seal off underground" idea you really don't seem to be in a position to speak for the majority.

Calm down miner. There's a fundamental difference between the ability to mine, construct, and craft, versus the utterly broken creative mode minecraft system that currently exists. Those things should be difficult, not easy. You should not be able to produce 1000s of steel blocks without any difficulty. Come on now, be reasonable. You have your option to play creative mode with bountiful resources, the survival people deserve a genuine survival mode.

What he does not do is immediately dig straight into the ground and start a subterranean factory complete with electricity and autocannons and forges.

...something you can achieve with ease on day 1 with a stone axe or even your bare fists.

... and then my tunnel is either going to flood or cave-in or have an explosion (possibly all three at once).

Come on now, be reasonable.

When was that last time you heard of the Chunnel collapsing, or any of the various man-made waterways and drainage channels under any large city?

Everything about these statements is NOPE. Please uninstall everything and go off grid.

So on a wimp I did your change, and yes, it makes it unreasonable to dig down past stone. But guess what, flagstone blocks also have the stone property, so now it is very easy to have an impregnable above ground base. So I guess I need to mod out flagstone next?

Archived