"Things I learned from watching the streamers" -- **SPOILER ALERT**

Aldranon

I think it will be a good idea for people to put as many posts here so people that DONT want to know can avoid this thread.

- Richard gave a good history of TFP and answered a lot of questions on Primes twitter stream. Its hard to hear Richard as prime will talk over Richard a lot.

- Inventory management is a big deal, loot is pretty abundant.

- Some quest POI's will kill you dead, dead ,dead. (A possible bug, but the ones I saw are designed to kill you.)

- Deer AI is bugged.

- With enough arrows. you are mostly safe outside, except for anything fast.

- You can get EXP doing most things (the EX gain will show up at the lower right)

OK, that's enough for now, anyone feel free to add to it! :)

What I learnt from watching Streamers:

Players are too often failing to coordinate as a team.

Having to group together to benefit from Quests is leading to players faffing around waiting for another one to arive in the group (usually caused by re-spawning after a careless death, or just mindlessly faffing about without their team).

SP is far more desirable to a goal oriented player like myself.

In future I hope to only ever watch streamers if they are professional players, or professional about amusing their audience (eg Neebs). All the others are just tossers passing time like a drunkard passes water.

I watched Shadow Fox tonight and it was pretty hilarious. There were several jump scare moments that were priceless to see her reactions. I have been waiting months to see players react to the awesome scary moments in this game so that was very rewarding. I also noticed the faffing that Pico mentioned but I think it is because the game is so new and the tried and true routines have been disrupted. One quote from her was telling, "We usually have a forge and are making cement by Day 2 and now it is Day 5 and we have some wood and some fibers".

There are lots of small changes that will go unnoticed if players don't read the tooltips, the stats, and the journal entries. For example, regular bandages heal you and you can make them easily and use them to keep your max health up but most players expect them to still be mostly useless.

Yeah, Day 2 forge and day 4 cement was pretty silly, so while I might quietly curse it, I respect the change.

If people don't want to feel the game is pointless past day 40, then they should be prepared to suffer a bit while they upskill.

Seems playing Dead Is Dead style won't be worthwhile anymore though. Got to learn to embrace the respawn.

You will need to melee if you want to claim a poi. Hoarding skill points will get you killed. you have to be smart and plan your loot runs now. Food is a very important thing now, as the player appears to need to eat every 5 minutes or they will starve to death.

air drops are super important.

Spikes are for decoration only.

The only way you will kill zombies on the first horde night is when you poi falls on them.

Pois that you think are structurally stable, will collapse during horde night.

bows are for hunting only.

Waste nothing. If you throw anything away, then you are an idiot and deserve the slow, horrible death you will receive.

Things i learned? I can't wait to play A17 :smile-new:

But seriously, i think:

1. Complete the tutorial quests

2. Pay attention to all of the info the game provides, from item and buff/debuff descriptions to tips and how the POIs are designed

3. Some things are not just shown and you have to know them, like:

- The hunger meter shown on stamina bar (amount of black)

- Hypo/hyperthermal protections on char sheet

- The encumberance inventory slots and the amount of slowing down they do is not big if you fill one or two spots

- You have to punch some of the plants, not simply pick up

i wish the fun pimps would reinvest some time into the whole loot bag for zombies scenario and just revert it back to looting the zombie. to me, it feels more realistic to search the bodies vs "oh look, it dropped a bag".

does this new thing save some PC performance? no goreblocks lying around = more power to calculate something else?

I don't know but it feels like it. I need to get my hands on this patch ASAP.

does this new thing save some PC performance? no goreblocks lying around = more power to calculate something else?

that, i believe, is what the fun pimps were going for. with that said, that still doesnt mean that they couldnt just remove the loot bags and have the players search the bodies. the gore blocks, to me were more realistic than having the bodies disappear, but they could have just removed the blocks completely anyways.

if the zombie is empty, great, you dont get a "search" option. the body disappears as normal

if the zombie did have loot, you get the option to search, after searched, the body disappears as normal

better option to me is search the bodies, no gore blocks after, bodies disappear as normal

/shrug

I think that loot bags will stay longer than the bodies, meaning that they are way safer. Still it's a matter of the bodies (being more sophisticated than a loot bag i presume) being stripped of the ability to loot them completely, take less memory than a body that may or may not be lootable.

You simply have to transfer your mindset to new concepts, like the new perk system, non-lootable corpses, different fighting mechanics, advanced buffs, etc. I don't know exactly in what mod, but i remember i played in one where the bodies were not lootable. It worked out quite fine there.

Going back to the main topic, what you guys think of the new POIs?

Zombies should have a random chance to "fake" their deaths!

After a strong hit, they should have a chance to make the deathsound and stay down for 3-5 seconds.

Cause right now, they ALWAYS get back up instantly (which is nice because you don't get a breather) but it also means you always know if a zombie is dead.

A 20% chance at every strong hit when they are >50% and

20% chance at every hit when under 25%.

When they "fake" their deaths, they are completely unresponsive (no sounds when hit) and have a random number (between 3 and 10) seconds before they get back up.

Zombies should have a random chance to "fake" their deaths!

After a strong hit, they should have a chance to make the deathsound and stay down for 3-5 seconds.

Cause right now, they ALWAYS get back up instantly (which is nice because you don't get a breather) but it also means you always know if a zombie is dead.

A 20% chance at every strong hit when they are >50% and

20% chance at every hit when under 25%.

When they "fake" their deaths, they are completely unresponsive (no sounds when hit) and have a random number (between 3 and 10) seconds before they get back up.

Next you’ll be complaining that TFP should get rid of the xp display in the lower right because it always tells you when you’ve killed a zombie.

Is the infinite arrows exploit in here already?

Saw that in the gamesocietypimps stream. You can pick the arrow off another player's bow, but they keep it in fact. When swapping the weapon off and back on a new pickable arrow becomes visible for the other player. Repeat ad infinitum.

Edit: Guess this belongs in the bug reports, is there already a thread for it?

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

hey Kam...

the arrows being stolen from another player's weapon was reported last week by another qa tester. they are working on it. thanks for mentioning it and i linked this comment into our bug report so devs can see more info.

Edit edit: Damn too fast :D I just found the bug reports thread and put it in there too.

Things I learned:

1. Generating and loading into a new random gen world takes a loooong time.

2. Dont stray too far from spawn area. My usual blood lust that has me hunting for zombies with my starter wooden club might not be a good idea anymore.

3. Speaking of melee, I'm going to have to re-learn 5 yrs of muscle memory.

4. Be very careful and read all the descriptions of the attributes, perks, and their requirements. You don't want to waste important early points by putting them into an attribute because of a skill perk you want, only to find that the perk level you want isnt available until your lvl 40.

i wish the fun pimps would reinvest some time into the whole loot bag for zombies scenario and just revert it back to looting the zombie. to me, it feels more realistic to search the bodies vs "oh look, it dropped a bag".

I can confirm it improves performance.

I modded these in myself in A14 and saw a noticeable difference on horde nights with tons of zeds around.

We lose a little realism for game play. Good decision.

Next you’ll be complaining that TFP should get rid of the xp display in the lower right because it always tells you when you’ve killed a zombie.

You know... I know you're playing me... but that idea doesn't sound half bad :D

Simply put the xp bar back in the character screen (where it belongs)...

I mean I'm definatly not the first who hated the xp bar... but before now it was only based on visuals and immersion... now I actually got a gameplay reason for hating it :D

Thx ^_^

My opinion from seeing things:

The farming changes, were OK as described right up until I saw RNG requirement of a hoe (it is not rocket science to put a seed in the ground).

The amount of meat per animal (especially given the speed of food drain versus amount of replenishment and amount of meat used) is IMO not even remotely fun. A boar or deer should feed 1 person for a several ACTIVE days (i.e days of hard work, (standing still should be around a week easily)). This is based on someone UNTRAINED in how to get the most meat from a kill. Someone TRAINED in getting and using all the meat possible and preserving it all correctly could get even more. From what I saw though, 1 boar or deer will net essentially less than half of an active day worth of hunger satiation. To me it seems either the bonus curve is too great while balanced to the top end of the curve (need to see someone fully perked to find out) or it is not balanced.

Virtually everything give some level of sickness (including canned foods and fresh crops).

The farming change of requiring a hoe is not just bad, it will be an immersion breaker for me. Seeds can't be planted without tilling soil. Then the world never evolved and thus not real, immersion broken. -- This to me is a bigger immersion breaker than 100 UI elements.

Just as POIs were curing my complaints by becoming more immersive in how they are designed and that they look breached, etc. New POIs are GREAT and seem much more like they had been attacked, not like everyone magically locked and boarded themselves in all at once from both inside and outside.

Archived