Things I'm loving!

amazombie

I've seen a lot of post about some of the problems. Zombie spawning, skill gates etc. I agree with some, but I wanted to make a post of the things I'm loving. I've been away for a bit (about 6 months)

1. Textures - world looks totally different

2. POI changes. Even places I thought I expected to be the same look way better

3. Damaged POI - Just this morning I was in a house with 3 levels, and fell thru a number of times trying to get around. I now have to carry some wood frames around to fix things to get around.

4. Encumbrance - Its a pain in the ass, but also makes you think and plan your looting.

All in all I love the update! Great job!

There are many new things I love. Some I don't. Taken in total, A17 is a vast improvement in my opinion. I've not found anything totally game breaking yet. I'm not sure if I will enjoy the horde night, haven't gotten to a day 7 yet, been testing things so far. I'm not fond of base building and having to repair things constantly but i'm confident i will adapt.

There are many new things I love. Some I don't. Taken in total, A17 is a vast

improvement in my opinion. I've not found anything totally game breaking yet. I'm not sure if I will enjoy the horde night, haven't gotten to a day 7 yet, been testing things so far. I'm not fond of base building and having to repair things constantly but i'm confident i will adapt.

Judging from what I've read and experienced so far, base builders will be the ones that will experience the most amount of change. Everything from the slower swing of tools to the gated perks/crafting is sure to ruffle some feathers.

Creating a base from scratch the first few days is certainly alot more challenging.

Judging from what I've read and experienced so far, base builders will be the ones that will experience the most amount of change. Everything from the slower swing of tools to the gated perks/crafting is sure to ruffle some feathers.

Creating a base from scratch the first few days is certainly alot more challenging.

I find a lot of the changes really positive, I in particular like the changes to base building, it feels good that early on the base it tough to manage and you need to be smart about juggling priorities like finding food, looting, collecting resources, and building.

Overall I really like a17 and think it was a step in the right direction.

Sort of but I'm the player some would call a bad name like carebear. I dug bunkers, made overhangs out of steels bars to shoot down from, made cages of 50 pillars to fight in, make 2 block wide jumps that I could leap across to safety etc. Toothy builds were my friend!

I'm not nocking that other people want it harder and I like fighting zombies in more controlled settings. Now if you are in a POI hanging on the side shooting down the zombies will bring that building down.

I'm having a hard time now balancing gathering enough resources to build defenses and finding enough food. I'm not bitching, really just making an observation and I'll roll with it till I learn better.

I'm sure it will work out as I learn more just now I'm having lots of anxiety lol.

Sort of but I'm the player some would call a bad name like carebear. I dug bunkers, made overhangs out of steels bars to shoot down from, made cages of 50 pillars to fight in, make 2 block wide jumps that I could leap across to safety etc. Toothy builds were my friend!

I'm not nocking that other people want it harder and I like fighting zombies in more controlled settings. Now if you are in a POI hanging on the side shooting down the zombies will bring that building down.

I'm having a hard time now balancing gathering enough resources to build defenses and finding enough food. I'm not bitching, really just making an observation and I'll roll with it till I learn better.

I'm sure it will work out as I learn more just now I'm having lots of anxiety lol.

I know how you feel for sure, my last base was a fortress with a grid of spot lights that would trigger on zombie movement and would have a corresponding light that turned on inside the base to indicate from which direction hostiles were found. Complete with multiple trenches and drag bridges to ride out on the bikes to go looting.

What I found was really lacking was the early game base, and I always believed that the game should promote taking over an existing POI as a temporary base that you would try to fortify a bit, but know that at one point you would leave it behind after it was sufficiently trashed.

The whole aspect of not feeling safe should be a constant until you can build a proper base, and even then it won't be easy. This is something that was such a fun aspect of the game that was rarely ever done because of how easy base building was early on. This type of structure actually promotes playing nomadic early on as well, something which was never really a viable option before.

I know how you feel for sure, my last base was a fortress with a grid of spot lights that would trigger on zombie movement and would have a corresponding light that turned on inside the base to indicate from which direction hostiles were found. Complete with multiple trenches and drag bridges to ride out on the bikes to go looting.

What I found was really lacking was the early game base, and I always believed that the game should promote taking over an existing POI as a temporary base that you would try to fortify a bit, but know that at one point you would leave it behind after it was sufficiently trashed.

The whole aspect of not feeling safe should be a constant until you can build a proper base, and even then it won't be easy. This is something that was such a fun aspect of the game that was rarely ever done because of how easy base building was early on. This type of structure actually promotes playing nomadic early on as well, something which was never really a viable option before.

The problem there is right now zombies do so much block damage or rather dps to blocks on horde night that even a 1500 hp per block cobblestone base can easly get leveled on the first horde. I mean zombies have managed to collapse like the medium crack-a-book buildings on a horde night and they are pretty damned big.

I was hopeful with the new AI we could build some interesting defenses but the zombies still don't path down corridors, the still bash though walls.

I tried a 5x5 tower with a door as an entrance and made a spiral wall with a 2 block wide path to circle around it hoping the zombies would path around the tower towards the door. Just made it 1 ring around the tower, nothing too extravagant. They just punched though the walls toward the door.

They also just all zerg in a direct line so lots of spikes arent' going to be much use.

Still working out some ideas.

Things I like:

- the new armor and clothing system so far, with insulation feeling a little more intuitive and giving different armor types different drawbacks and benefits

- the new lighting, although there are still some bugs, and I hope that lighting going through blocks will get fixed some day

- the distant trees, really helps with immersion

- new pois

- the perks (minus the current gating)

- the lady trader with the super masculine voice

Now back to the posts with criticism ;)

I really like the increased number of zombies! I think with some balancing changes around weapon damage and survivability, and fixing some of the bugged spawning, it could be really fun with more of the feeling that you're mowing down zombies as opposed to slowly grinding through a smaller number of them.

Wish everyone had your attitude. :)

Archived